Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Blackknight530i has a new E39 project - 2002 540it

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by CPHES View Post
    Yes, Sport airbags are shorter. Arnott gets that wrong.
    I will say I haven't noticed any difference in ride height or ride quality since switching to the Arnotts. Granted, I had 200k mile original air springs so maybe not the best point of reference...
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    So, the car was delivered today and I got a little time to check it over. The body is in really good shape, other than the aforementioned issues with the bumpers and hood. The hood I can probably find a replacement for at LKQ for cheap as it's Schwarz 2, so should be easy to find and relatively cheap. The bumpers are in great shape as far as no cracks or broken mounting tabs, so they will probably just get repainted. The rest of the body looks really good though. No dents as far as I could tell with it covered in rain water and it's shiny. The engine is pretty peppy as far as revving up at idle. More than I thought it would be. It does have a check engine light on for what I'm guessing is a slight misfire, or it could be related to the transmission issues.

As for the transmission issues, I drove it around the neighborhood a bit and it is pretty rough. It's not just a hard 1-2, 2-1 shift, but rather it slips even in gear and then grabs really quickly. It also does it in higher gears, but not as bad. One thing that through me off was when pulling in behind my garage, it should have been just coasting, but it felt like I slammed on the brakes. Very strange indeed. First thing I'll do is check fluid level and top up or drain as necessary. If that doesn't fix it, I'll probably throw a new filter and some fresh fluid in it and see what that does. I'm also hoping to hear back from my buddy who runs a BMW indy shop on his input based on the codes we got. If it needs anything that involves removing the transmission, it's not getting another auto, so it will be manual swap time.

On to the interior stuff. The rearview mirror mount came unglued from the windshield, which I think was already reglued before. The sunroof doesn't work, but I have a spare one in my garage. At least it stays closed and keeps rain out. The MID needs its pixels repaired, but I know a guy who can fix that . Cluster has perfect pixels, so I'm guessing it was replaced by BMW at some point. It will get a M5 cluster when I get around to it (again, I know a guy). The front seats are basically done. The driver seat has a big split in the lower cushion and the passenger seat definitely has seat twist and doesn't look great anyways. They are non-sport seats, so not very valuable anyways. I've got a set of tan sport seats that will likely go in. Cup holders are broken, but I'll probably put a cup holder delete panel in when I do a trim swap. A-pillar trim is peeling, but I have good replacements from my other wagon. Door sill trims are badly cracked. Hatch struts need to be replaced. The floor panel that covers the spare tire area has a badly broken latch that won't allow you to open it, but I have a good one from my other car as well, though I need to get it opened first.

I think that's the majority of what I've found so far, though I haven't had a whole lot of time to check it over yet. Once I get my buddy Stephen's M5 out of my garage after doing timing guides and rod bearings, I'll be able to pull the car into my garage and work on it a bit. I'll take some more photos once it's dry outside as well.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    2000 540i SC'd | 2001 M5
    Interesting. I haven't checked forums out in a while. I felt a...feeling in the force that compelled me to log in and check out whats happening. Sure enough I find something great!
    Sold: 2000-BMW-E39-540i/Biarritz-Blue/Gray-Interior/DSP Sound.
    Engine/Drivetrain: VF-Engineering (Vortech V3 Si-Trim, 3.25''/6'' Pulleys/Tial QRJ -1.5PSI/Bosch Green Giants),Manifold,Magnaflow 16858 (Dual Exhaust/X-Pipe),High-Flow Cats/S62 Clutch & Plate/AEM 320 Fuel Pump/TTFS-Tune/AEM Wideband/Boost Failsafe/E60 SSK/ZHP Knob/CDV Delete.
    Handling: ECSTuning Cup Kit (Koni Yellow/H&R 50464)/BF-Goodrich Comp-2 A/S.
    Cosmetic: Front & Rear M-Tech Bumpers/Finned Rear Diffuser/Piano Black Interior Trim/Style 37's.

Current: 2001-BMW-E39-M5/Carbon-Black/Silverstone-Interior/Sport Seats/Dinan Exhaust

YouTube Channel
    Instagram
    Twitter

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgnms View Post
    Interesting. I haven't checked forums out in a while. I felt a...feeling in the force that compelled me to log in and check out whats happening. Sure enough I find something great!
    Hahaha

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Oh, another thing I noticed is that on the passenger rear door, neither the outer door handle or the window regulator work. The window regulator doesn't even try to work, so not sure what's up there. With the door handle on the outside, it doesn't even act like it's pulling on anything, so something is probably broken or disconnected. Both rear doors have evidence of vapor barrier failure, but they don't seem that bad, so might be salvageable. I'll take them off and see what's going on with the reg and door handle. Inside door handle does work fine and I think the door locks work.

Also, the remote key doesn't lock/unlock the doors. Could be the same issue I had with my other wagon and the battery terminal inside broke and needs repair. I'm kind of thinking I might just buy a new key from BMW as it's only about $140 and I have a programmer if I need it. I've been wanting to get a new key for my M5 as well. Not sure how they handle new key purchases when buying from a place like Morristown BMW. I would think they would need a copy of registration to order the key, but maybe they would request that after the order is placed. I suppose they could ship it uncut and expect the dealership to do all the work of cutting and programming, but I kind of doubt that. Has anyone here ordered a new key from the dealership before?

-Paul

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Nice to know "the guy", maybe some day I'll score an M cluster from him too.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Nice to know "the guy", maybe some day I'll score an M cluster from him too.
    I know lots of people that do lots of things. It really helps when owning 3 old BMWs . I know a guy that does powder coating as well, wonder if he might be interested in powder coating some M62TU valve covers. That guy might want to make a deal with the guy I know for a M5 cluster upgrade.

-Paul

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Maybe after that guy has his '33 done. He still hasn't built an oven big enough for valve covers. He should have brought his old oven when he moved. He's also got a set on non tu covers waiting for powder too.
    Last edited by JimLev; 08-07-2018 at 09:15 AM.

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    You guys

Yes, I bought a key from a dealership a few years ago. I needed my registration and driver's license/ID, then placed the order and paid. It was not cheap; I bought a master key and the plastic wallet key, and it was ~$270, IIRC. The keys took a few days to arrive; I went in on Friday and the key came on Tues, I think. I had the service department activate the key, which took seconds.
    Last edited by computiNATEor; 08-07-2018 at 02:59 AM.
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)
    Titanium Silver/Black Nappa Full 07-18-2001 E39 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 198,000mi+. Increasing daily. Engine rebuild thread.
    (eŌō\ (||||)º(||||) / ōŌe)
    Alpineweiss III/Black Merino Full 03-26-2007 E60 M5 Manual (CX08265). 157,000+. Dead starter -_-

RIP, Seabiscuit. Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
    Take 2 "Otto" - Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
    Take 3 "Manuel" - Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi. I regret that. Build Log
    Reliable P.O.S. - Green/gray 1995 Camry V6 LE. 270k mi. Sold for space.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    Oh, another thing I noticed is that on the passenger rear door, neither the outer door handle or the window regulator work. The window regulator doesn't even try to work, so not sure what's up there. With the door handle on the outside, it doesn't even act like it's pulling on anything, so something is probably broken or disconnected. Both rear doors have evidence of vapor barrier failure, but they don't seem that bad, so might be salvageable. I'll take them off and see what's going on with the reg and door handle. Inside door handle does work fine and I think the door locks work.

Also, the remote key doesn't lock/unlock the doors. Could be the same issue I had with my other wagon and the battery terminal inside broke and needs repair. I'm kind of thinking I might just buy a new key from BMW as it's only about $140 and I have a programmer if I need it. I've been wanting to get a new key for my M5 as well. Not sure how they handle new key purchases when buying from a place like Morristown BMW. I would think they would need a copy of registration to order the key, but maybe they would request that after the order is placed. I suppose they could ship it uncut and expect the dealership to do all the work of cutting and programming, but I kind of doubt that. Has anyone here ordered a new key from the dealership before?
    Some dealers don't do it (remote key sales) but the ones that do will generally ask you to fax (or email PDF I imagine) doc because they need that to order it from BMWUSA or the wholesale or whatever. The dealers had all the key-cutting equip taken away years ago, however, it could be that the big regional-wholesaler dealers are the ones who are still doing the cutting/flashing part using the official HQ gear?

I have a new high quality rep blank key for my car, still have to get that cut, then I'm just going to swap the guts with my worst worn out one I think. I mean alternatively I can buy the programmer and program the 'coffin' chip that came with it... but I haven't decided whether to go that route or just gut the OE one...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    03 525it/5, 1967 GTO
    Looking forward to watching this build. I'm a long roof guy too although from another cousin across the pond. Looks like a great base from which to start.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    I don't really mind ordering the key from BMW if it's the price that Morristown BMW says it is. If they order it, I would think it would come pre-cut and then I could activate it with my EWS Editor Lite. I don't think I'll necessarily go OE on this car, but on the M5 for sure.

Today it's about small victories. Well, can it be considered a victory if you kind of caused the problem in the first place (In Trump's case I guess it can, but I digress)? Anyways, I went to try to open the sunroof the other day and it didn't budge, other than about a smidge, like the motor was trying, but didn't want to move. Tonight, with Purplecty's advice, I decided to try resetting the sunroof motor memory. Well, it kind of worked. It did finally open, but now it was all kinds of confused about the open and closed states. The problem I ended up creating was that there was now no way to close it, and it rains nearly every afternoon here now. I tried forcing it closed by bumping the button repeatedly and it got somewhat closed, but still had a large opening. Then I somehow made it get stuck and wouldn't move in either direction. I decided to pop the cover off the motor and sure enough, the big white gear was cracked in half. Once the motor was removed, I could manually close the sunroof glass, but only to the point where it is supposed to lift. After getting back from dinner, I figured I would grab the sunroof motor out of one of the other cars, install it in this one, get the sunroof closed, then pull it back out and put in the original car. This worked great and the sunroof is now sealed, but I can't use it. I'll try to pick one up at LKQ or something, but I bet all of them have somewhat cracked gears as the one out of the blue wagon also had some cracks that hadn't developed that bad yet. At least it's easy to pop the cover off and look at the gear before removing the motor from the car.

Also, I got the trunk floor out yesterday. It was a total pain and I ended up destroying it even more, but once I got it out, it turns out that there is a piece of the latch that just needed to be released and it came right out. The floor from my other wagon will be used instead. Again, small victories .

As I'm writing this, a storm is about to hit, so glad I got the sunroof fixed before it starts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Twistytee View Post
    Looking forward to watching this build. I'm a long roof guy too although from another cousin across the pond. Looks like a great base from which to start.
    Which cousin would that be?

If you ever make it up to me to do your cluster, you can see the car first hand .

-Paul

My Cars
    03 M3T, 03 M5T/SC, 01 M5
    Here we go again!

First, Charlie's M5 wagon build, then this?
    2003 Ferrari Red M3 3.5L wagon // 2011 Montego Blue tri-turbo 335d wagon
    2012 Deep Sea Blue X5d // 2003 Orient Blue 330i wagon
    In progress/For Sale: 2003 Alpine White M3/ZHP wagon // 2003 Japan Red M3/ZHP wagon

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
    Here we go again!

First, Charlie's M5 wagon build, then this?
    LOL, did Charlie end up finding a wagon yet? Is he on here?

-Paul

My Cars
    03 M3T, 03 M5T/SC, 01 M5
    LOL, did Charlie end up finding a wagon yet? Is he on here?
    He's still searching. Sent me another to inspect earlier. I don't think he's on here.
    2003 Ferrari Red M3 3.5L wagon // 2011 Montego Blue tri-turbo 335d wagon
    2012 Deep Sea Blue X5d // 2003 Orient Blue 330i wagon
    In progress/For Sale: 2003 Alpine White M3/ZHP wagon // 2003 Japan Red M3/ZHP wagon

My Cars
    03 525it/5, 1967 GTO

If you ever make it up to me to do your cluster, you can see the car first hand .
    Not of the V8 variety as that's reserved for my American iron, but it is from the last of the 6-speed manual Avants sold in the U.S. from Ingolstadt. I'll be up before long with the cluster. Still running an inventory of all the various items the 530i needs.

Untitled by Twistytee, on Flickr

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by Twistytee View Post
    Not of the V8 variety as that's reserved for my American iron, but it is from the last of the 6-speed manual Avants sold in the U.S. from Ingolstadt. I'll be up before long with the cluster. Still running an inventory of all the various items the 530i needs.

Untitled by Twistytee, on Flickr
    Gotcha. Figured it was something like that.

-Paul

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    I don't really mind ordering the key from BMW if it's the price that Morristown BMW says it is. If they order it, I would think it would come pre-cut and then I could activate it with my EWS Editor Lite. I don't think I'll necessarily go OE on this car, but on the M5 for sure.

Today it's about small victories. Well, can it be considered a victory if you kind of caused the problem in the first place (In Trump's case I guess it can, but I digress)? Anyways, I went to try to open the sunroof the other day and it didn't budge, other than about a smidge, like the motor was trying, but didn't want to move. Tonight, with Purplecty's advice, I decided to try resetting the sunroof motor memory. Well, it kind of worked. It did finally open, but now it was all kinds of confused about the open and closed states. The problem I ended up creating was that there was now no way to close it, and it rains nearly every afternoon here now. I tried forcing it closed by bumping the button repeatedly and it got somewhat closed, but still had a large opening. Then I somehow made it get stuck and wouldn't move in either direction. I decided to pop the cover off the motor and sure enough, the big white gear was cracked in half. Once the motor was removed, I could manually close the sunroof glass, but only to the point where it is supposed to lift. After getting back from dinner, I figured I would grab the sunroof motor out of one of the other cars, install it in this one, get the sunroof closed, then pull it back out and put in the original car. This worked great and the sunroof is now sealed, but I can't use it. I'll try to pick one up at LKQ or something, but I bet all of them have somewhat cracked gears as the one out of the blue wagon also had some cracks that hadn't developed that bad yet. At least it's easy to pop the cover off and look at the gear before removing the motor from the car.

Also, I got the trunk floor out yesterday. It was a total pain and I ended up destroying it even more, but once I got it out, it turns out that there is a piece of the latch that just needed to be released and it came right out. The floor from my other wagon will be used instead. Again, small victories .

As I'm writing this, a storm is about to hit, so glad I got the sunroof fixed before it starts.

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't ordered a key from Morristown, but I have ordered one from thebmwminipartstore.com which I imagine uses more or less the same process.

Basically you give them your vin and a scan of your driver's license and registration (or title), and they'll place the order with BMW. The key you receive will be cut for your car and pre-programmed for your EWS. Only programming you have to do is for the remote itself. The dealers themselves don't cut the keys or program the transponder - that's all done at BMW itself.

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
    I haven't ordered a key from Morristown, but I have ordered one from thebmwminipartstore.com which I imagine uses more or less the same process.

Basically you give them your vin and a scan of your driver's license and registration (or title), and they'll place the order with BMW. The key you receive will be cut for your car and pre-programmed for your EWS. Only programming you have to do is for the remote itself. The dealers themselves don't cut the keys or program the transponder - that's all done at BMW itself.
    Exactly, and you'll just need to initialize the key, which is some position-1 lock-unlock dance that I can't remember. Instructions are available online.
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)
    Titanium Silver/Black Nappa Full 07-18-2001 E39 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 198,000mi+. Increasing daily. Engine rebuild thread.
    (eŌō\ (||||)º(||||) / ōŌe)
    Alpineweiss III/Black Merino Full 03-26-2007 E60 M5 Manual (CX08265). 157,000+. Dead starter -_-

RIP, Seabiscuit. Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
    Take 2 "Otto" - Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
    Take 3 "Manuel" - Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi. I regret that. Build Log
    Reliable P.O.S. - Green/gray 1995 Camry V6 LE. 270k mi. Sold for space.

My Cars
    2013 X5 35i M-Sport
    LSX swap????

VRSF CP & DP | BMS Intake | MHD 2+ Tune | BavSound Stage 1 | 20% Tint
    Contact me for module coding/ECU resets

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330 2013 135
    Hopefully this weekend we will have my M5 running and out of your garage.

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Congrats on the purchase,looking forward to watch the progress.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by stephgilnc View Post
    Hopefully this weekend we will have my M5 running and out of your garage.
    Yeah, I'm really looking forward to getting yours started up. I'm hoping it will be mostly uneventful though . I'm sure it will be loud at first, but hopefully it will quiet down quickly. That S62 will have a whole new bottom and front end to it. Even though I know we did everything right, it's still going to make me nervous when we fire it up the first time. Maybe you'll be able to drive us up to VIR for the IMSA race the following weekend.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RyansBMW View Post
    LSX swap????
    Uh...no. I don't deviate. BMW for life!

-Paul

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330 2013 135
    I am really nervous to start the car up as well. Maybe we will need shot something before or after we start the car. I know we have done everything right assembling the car. Hopefully we can get out of shop so you can get the new project in the shop. It would be fun to take the car up to VIR! I only driven the M5 handful of times this year. So a trip in it would be nice.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by stephgilnc View Post
    I am really nervous to start the car up as well. Maybe we will need shot something before or after we start the car. I know we have done everything right assembling the car. Hopefully we can get out of shop so you can get the new project in the shop. It would be fun to take the car up to VIR! I only driven the M5 handful of times this year. So a trip in it would be nice.
    I'm sure we've done fine, but if not, we'll fix it. We always do.

In other news, I discovered another new issue with the 540it. Apparently it has at least one sagging airbag:

This is after sitting just a couple days. Fortunately, I'm working on a deal with a forum member on buying his used 540it sport springs and airbags. I'll put the front springs on my Koni Sports I had on my M5 and I'll likely order some Koni sports for the rear as well. It also comes with a 540it Sport front sway bar and I think I still have my old sport rear sway bar from when I upgraded my 530i sedan to the M5 bar. It won't be M-Sport II spec, but I'm not looking to race this thing. I mainly want it to look better and handle decently.

-Paul

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast