Thread: Auto dimming mirror on S54

My Cars
    N/A

Auto dimming mirror on S54

Just another public service announcement. Replace them.

I had one in a car that barely see the light of day and it leaked. I didn't think these things leaked if they weren't sitting outside but they do.

Luckily it was on a piece of plastic by the shifter (and not the upper dash) which is still annoying to source so I'll eventually take everything out and repaint.

Do yourself a favor. Just get rid of that liquid filled POS.

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    You're overreacting. If you go through the FAQ you will find that this is a known issue with a known cure. Once they have been rebuilt there are no further issues.

Marty

My Cars
    N/A
    I wasn't saying it wasn't a known issue or that I don't know the fix, as I've fixed my other car's before. I was saying I'm surprised my second one (on a different car) leaked when it wasn't exposed to adverse environment conditions.

Just a reminder to change them out regardless of whether yours is exhibiting any symptoms or not.

I am speaking about the originals. Not any of the refitted ones.

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe & Roadster
    I'd keep an eye out on the ones redone as they still have the liquid in them. Maybe not right away but in the 5yrs and after I'd keep an eye on them.

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe, 2019 F31
    Quote Originally Posted by jajou318 View Post
    I'd keep an eye out on the ones redone as they still have the liquid in them. Maybe not right away but in the 5yrs and after I'd keep an eye on them.
    Not if you buy a proper aftermarket replacement that uses conductive gel instead of liquid (such as the OE replacements). My rear-view mirror has not failed in 16 years but I just replaced it myself recently with a new gel cell unit as preventative maintenance. You can either DIY (what I did) or send it off to one of several companies that specialize such a repair.

Yeeeeeeeee!!

-2023 Honda Odyssey Elite
    -2019 F31 Individual (M-Sport, Prem, Exec, Track)
    -2004 Honda CRV
    -2002 S54 M Coupé

My Cars
    BMW Z3 3.0 VF SC'd
    ...or you could just install the non auto-dimming mirror, which also provides added visibility due to the slightly wider profile.

Non auto-dimming MZ3 mirror: 51162495571

"You don't win silver....you lose gold."

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by danomite View Post
    ...or you could just install the non auto-dimming mirror, which also provides added visibility due to the slightly wider profile.

Non auto-dimming MZ3 mirror: 51162495571
    .... and contributes to the already big blind spot that cars entering an intersection from the right side hide in. Of course the solution is to mount either mirror up against the roof so that cars can't hide behind them. You lose a little distance due to the top edge being masked, but you will see the car on the right you were about to become acquainted with.

Marty, who has tried every combination listed, now using high mount updated auto-mirror.

My Cars
    2020 M2C
    Used e36 mirror for $17 works great for me.
    Bill
    2002 M Coupe. Steel Gray/Black.

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe, 2019 F31
    Do whatever makes you happy you feel me?! That's the beauty of having options as there's no right fit for everyone.

-2004 Honda CRV
    -2002 S54 M Coupé

My Cars
    02 LSB Z3M Coupe
    How do you high-mount the mirror? Just remove the mount from the windshield and move it up?
    I'm using an E36 mirror FWIW

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by scenturion View Post
    How do you high-mount the mirror? Just remove the mount from the windshield and move it up?
    I'm using an E36 mirror FWIW
    One of the forum members used to make a modified mirror mount to accomplish this, but I don't think he has made any available in quite some time.

Marty

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe & Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliAgents View Post
    Not if you buy a proper aftermarket replacement that uses conductive gel instead of liquid (such as the OE replacements). My rear-view mirror has not failed in 16 years but I just replaced it myself recently with a new gel cell unit as preventative maintenance. You can either DIY (what I did) or send it off to one of several companies that specialize such a repair.

Yeeeeeeeee!!
    Ah, I didn't know they have a gel now! Sybesmas was one of the companies iirc.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeeeeeeeee!!
    Ah, I didn't know they have a gel now! Sybesmas was one of the companies iirc.

My Cars
    1998 Z3

Yeeeeeeeee!!
    How do you DIY this?
    1998 Z3 1.9L Dinan Stage 3.

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe, 2019 F31
    I purchased my replacement gel-filled mirror from www.mirrorjohn.com. He is based out of the U.K. and that's where it was shipped from.

Here is his write-up that I followed, albeit with some different tools: http://mirrorjohn.com/How_To_Fix.php

I recommend buying a cell phone disassembly kit (not shown) to aid in opening up the mirror housing. You definitely want to choose the right tool and take your time as you can easily scratch the housing, mangle the seam, break the fragile clips, or any combination of the above.

Be extra careful with your utility knife when you remove the circuit board backing plate from the original glass. Take your time removing the original double-sided tape so you have a clean, uniform surface for the new double-sided carpet tape.

Original glass on top, Mirror-John replacement on bottom.

Circuit board and backing plate adhered to new mirror. Assemble the two housing halves back together and put that bad boy back in the car. Now you can sleep tight at night without worrying about that highly caustic fluid leaking all over your dash and console.

Don't forget to put on your favorite slaps and put in work you feel me?!

Last edited by CaliAgents; 08-09-2018 at 04:36 PM.

-2004 Honda CRV
    -2002 S54 M Coupé

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyBtoo View Post
    .... and contributes to the already big blind spot that cars entering an intersection from the right side hide in. Of course the solution is to mount either mirror up against the roof so that cars can't hide behind them. You lose a little distance due to the top edge being masked, but you will see the car on the right you were about to become acquainted with.

Marty, who has tried every combination listed, now using high mount updated auto-mirror.
    Including this one?

When I got my Coupe, I couldn't see anything behind me and was afraid to drive the car__much__until I put a proper mirror in. Note, I don't sit so tall in the seat that the stock mirror/stock location presents a problem (and with three cars that are virtually the same when sitting in the driver's seat, some commonality is required).

I think this mirror came out of one of Mattel's Barbie cars!

My Cars
    2001 525it
    There is guy in Texas that fixes the self dimming mirrors for 100.00.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Some of you guys posting about this guy or that guy who does it or sells it and only single link? Can you share who “the guy” is. We all know “a guy”, but apparently not “the guy”. Bottom line, I need to fix my mirror too . It’s not leaking, yet, but I have blue blob in the middle that does not go away.
    Last edited by DimrBimmer; 08-12-2018 at 08:24 PM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 1.9
    Yes, I'd like to know who "the guy" is in Texas. Please let us know. Thanks!

My Cars
    -
    Google "bmw auto dimming mirror repair texas", you find this: http://www.radar-mirror.com/Mirror_Repair.html
    99$

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    I’ve sent 3 or 4 mirrors from previous project coupes to Sybesma’s Electronics.

It ran $100 the last couple times.

Mail your mirror in, include note with your contact info. They call you to confirm what you want done (replace OE liquid with new non-leak gel) and they complete it and mail it back. 100% success rate thus far.

Sybesma's Electronics
    Phone: (616) 392-6911
    Toll Free: (800) 456-4265
    Fax: (616) 392-9885
    581 Ottawa Ave.
    Suite 100
    Holland, MI 49423, USA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    z3
    Ive used Radar Mirror and Sysbema. Both have been great, I wouldnt hesitate to use either again

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!