Thread: Hawk 5.0 review

My Cars
    02 M3

Hawk 5.0 review

I just went to MVP road america and replaced my pads with hawk 5.0 and motul 600 brake fluid prior to going, and did the break in procedure.

Im still in the novice group so im not going super hard at the track. I feel that they are just as good at stock BMW pads. The pads seem to hold up for 20 minute session but towards the end of the session i was starting to experience fade. Has anyone else run these pads and what was your experience?

MDR629 is offline Just Go Faster BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E36 M3, E61 535, E66 760
    I've never used them but my understanding is that they're purely a street pad. Take a look at the graph in the link below.
    Capture.JPG

See how the 5.0 fall off really hard after 700-750 °F? That really isn't that high of a rotor temperature. Back when I was tracking a WRX, I had my rotors measured (with an IR gun, so not accurate) at around 1100 °F and that was coming into the pits, so think of how much hotter they would have been at the end of a brake zone. I was told that the rotors were visibly glowing that day, however those rotors were way too small for the car's weight.

Anyway, overheating a pad will not only result in the friction falling off to nearly nothing, but the pad wear will increase by a huge amount. Have you taken a look at your pads after your track day? There might be a lot less pad remaining than you were expecting. If you keep doing track days, you're going to want a more track oriented pad and either swap them out for every track event (PITA) or just run the track pad for the track season. Even the most aggressive race pad isn't too bad to drive with on the street in my experience. Also, if you think you'll go down the track day rabbit hole, brake ducting will quickly pay for itself by increasing rotor and brake pad life.

That wasn't the answer you were looking for, but hopefully it was helpful. I've started where you are (first track day was on HPS pads and DOT 3 fluid hahah)
    Last edited by MDR629; 07-17-2018 at 12:40 PM.
    Interests include: Any VIN beginning with "WBS", any engine code with a "7" as the second digit, any Individual car, and all things Touring.
    http://www.bavarianspecialties.com

joenationwide is offline Makes Cars Dance BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 M3 (GTS2), 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by slides View Post
    I just went to MVP road america and replaced my pads with hawk 5.0 and motul 600 brake fluid prior to going, and did the break in procedure.

Im still in the novice group so im not going super hard at the track. I feel that they are just as good at stock BMW pads. The pads seem to hold up for 20 minute session but towards the end of the session i was starting to experience fade. Has anyone else run these pads and what was your experience?
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR629 View Post
    I've never used them but my understanding is that they're purely a street pad. Take a look at the graph in the link below.
    Capture.JPG

See how the 5.0 fall off really hard after 700-750 °F? That really isn't that high of a rotor temperature. Back when I was tracking a WRX, I had my rotors measured (with an IR gun, so not accurate) at around 1100 °F and that was coming into the pits, so think of how much hotter they would have been at the end of a brake zone. I was told that the rotors were visibly glowing that day, however those rotors were way too small for the car's weight.

Anyway, overheating a pad will not only result in the friction falling off to nearly nothing, but the pad wear will increase by a huge amount. Have you taken a look at your pads after your track day? There might be a lot less pad remaining than you were expecting. If you keep doing track days, you're going to want a more track oriented pad and either swap them out for every track event (PITA) or just run the track pad for the track season. Even the most aggressive race pad isn't too bad to drive with on the street in my experience. Also, if you think you'll go down the track day rabbit hole, brake ducting will quickly pay for itself by increasing rotor and brake pad life.

That wasn't the answer you were looking for, but hopefully it was helpful. I've started where you are (first track day was on HPS pads and DOT 3 fluid hahah)
    Yeah for sure the Hawk 5.0 is a street pad. Its a pretty solid street pad, and sounds like it was just enough for the OP in the Novice group.

As OP gets faster, it will become more urgent to get a real track pad.
    Sounds like he was already approaching the limits of the 5.0.

I run the 5.0s on the street, and DTC-60s on the track.
    I'd consider suggesting the HT-10s, but I've overheated those badly.
    I street drive DTC-60s sometimes, so that would be my recommendation for moving up. You'll never need anything more aggressive than that.

My Cars
    02 M3
    Wanted to add an update to these pads.

I did another tack day 3 20min sessions on a small course DCTC in minneapolis, max speed 85ish mph with lots of braking. The pads held up well but the ABS was kicking in more often then at Road America, and they are now squealing like crazy. I plan on upgrading to track day pads for future track events and possibly add some ducting.

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    Quote Originally Posted by joenationwide View Post
    I run the 5.0s on the street
    I'll probably get a set of the 5.0's for my street car because Hawk Bucks -- how dusty are they?

My Cars
    2006 Estoril Blue/Cin M3
    HPS have a poor reputation on the track.

My Cars
    02 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by OCRentAPopo View Post
    I'll probably get a set of the 5.0's for my street car because Hawk Bucks -- how dusty are they?
    They are very dusty, to the point of almost needing daily car washes, if anything i feel like they dust more then OEM pads.