Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: just another 525iT

My Cars
    89 325i & 02' 525iT

just another 525iT

I had somewhat of a thread in the e39 main page, but I refused to pay photobucket so it's basically dead to me and I needed a place to post updates and ask questions.

I bought my wagon in Dec. 2016 for cheap - basically inop (was thought to be a dead cylinder but was a burnt valve). I got the car for $1200-1300? had these massive 19's and the yakima rack. m5 front and rear brakes, and most of the manual swap was completed. It also had a box of parts which included cheap china lca's, thrust arms, rlca/wishbone, meyle brake lines, and a few other things like head light adjusters and gauge cluster rings.

spent a good time diagnosing cylinder 4 before I decided to swap the powerplant

went to a local junkyard and sourced a m54b30 from an 04 330i (that got sideswiped) that was just put out, I actually had to go two days in a row and deal with a few missing parts by the time I got back to pull it.

Started to pull off the normal maintenance parts to replace (all new belts, tensioners, oil pan gasket, oil filter housing gasket, vc gaskets, etc) I needed some 525i parts like the valve cover, coil packs, oil pan, ac bracket (with the old style tensioner), engine mount arms, etc. I remembered a 525i at the yard that had the motor pulled out so I went back and bought the few pieces I needed. I did this to make the swap faster vs pulling my motor out, stripping it, cleaning it and then reinstalling....I'd rather pull the old one out and put the new one in to save time, space, and downtime.

330i vs 525i oil pans

got my order in from pelican parts for all the gaskets/seals, hardlines and hoses. Heres the oil filter housing seal.

turns out the oil sump pick up is the same part # between the 525i and 330i despite the two different pans.

installed new coolant hardlines, vanos oil line, and added a spare oil temp sensor adapter for oil pressure/temp gauges in case I wanted to add those in the future.

oil pan put on with new gasket and toyota fipg.

water pump and thermostat cavities were super clean. installed a hepu metal impellar water pump and a new thermostat/housing. Also got rid of the plastic pulleys and got the ecs aluminum ones.

replaced the front main seal since the area was surrounding area was caked up when i got it. i actually had to get a 1" harbor freight impact to get this off. my 1/2" ingersoll rand was not doing the job. The HF 1" did it in 3-4 ugga duggas. impressive!

German auto solutions DISA valve rebuild. billet flapper vs oem plastic

I upgraded the tensioner to the same style that's on my s52.

cleaned up the motor mount arms, installed with slightly larger/stronger bolts.

I got a 528i AFE intake locally for CHEAP. So I had to grab that since I didn't have a 530i airbox.

530i vs 525i maf

cleaned up the intake manifold and installed the disa valve, OSV with new hoses and cleaned up throttle body.

new oem intake tube

sent the injectors out to be cleaned/bench tested, meanwhile started to put parts together that I was waiting for like radiator fan shroud and reservoir etc.

everything back together on the front of the motor, time to work on the clutch side.

To move forward I would need the transmission out of the car, so it was time to pull the motor out

to be continued...

- - - Updated - - -

My Cars
    89 325i & 02' 525iT

with the motor out, it's the best time to swap out the brake lines at the abs unit

took the trans to get pressure washed

the luk clutch and flywheel were basically new from when the previous owner did the manual swap so I'll be reusing them to save some cash

input/output shaft seals pulled and replaced with oem

rear main seal replaced and new pilot bearing

stainless clutch pivot

sachs tob

shift shaft seal replaced along with the pivot

delrin shifter bushings installed

resetting SAC with expensive tool

mated trans to engine

my custom milled dssr from e30adapters came in, using the e60 545i shifter

ebay headers since I didn't want to buy junkyard headers with possibly bad cats

o2 sensor clearance issues...enter BFH

One more thing to do in the engine bay before the motor goes back in....stupid plastic tube was $50

motor going back in - swapped out coil packs for oem ones (not pictured)

intake figured out, and everything pretty much buttoned up

decided to do all 4 brake lines since I had to rebleed the clutch and brakes - no better time than now. as you can see it was much needed.

took off the head on the m54b25 and found the culprit.

to be continued...
    Last edited by s14brent; 08-02-2018 at 08:31 PM.

My Cars
    89 325i & 02' 525iT
    just for recap, I had to swap over the m54b25 coolant temp sensor and the SAP check valve that bolts onto the head during this swap. There's nothing much to it.

found a plug by the shifter on realoem that is needed when doing auto to manual

new fuel filter, turns out the one in there before was recently replaced the previous year.

picked up a set of mpars from a friend with an e38. they were in super rough shape, clear was flaking everywhere on all the wheels

I dropped them off at a place that refinishes the wheels. I only had them do a silver paint finish thinking it would be more durable. meh, they did a good job but ultimately I get rid of these wheels because they bugged the shit outta me from constant paint chips.

fresh from the refinish. if only they stayed like this UGH

since they were from an e38 I needed to either bore out the hub or just run these spacer-adapters. I'd need spacers anyways so I just ran these.

started to work on the interior....replaced the shift boot, added zhp knob, the carbon wrap trim was horribly done by the P/O

grabbed a black parking brake boot

pulled out the head unit to replace with a nakamichi cd400. LOL....what the f......soldered a metra bmw female radio harness plug to the body side, then soldered the nakamichi radio plug to the male bmw radio plug so it would be like stock again somewhat.

changed the lower dash trims to black and got some graphite interior trim

with the help of a few guys on my old thread (geargrinder, blackknight530i and a few others) I got my cluster and dme coded and fired up the motor after filling it up with fluids

https://flic.kr/p/RgsKq7

fired up on the first try, the car is open header here

my car didn't have reverse lights wired up, so i did a junkyard run for the plug, and ran the wires to the gauge cluster. I cut a few necessary connectors at the junkyard to grab a couple needed pins. for my own memory it was (pin 2 of the x60002 DME connector to manual switch on trans, other switch prong to ground, and then "pin 25 on the blue 26-pin connector X10114 ran to the E-box, and connected to pin 19 of the 40-pin black DME connector X60004. The hard part was finding the right plug types I needed from the junkyard cars.

let there be reverse lights!

Found out why the SAP system was inop and kept throwing codes. Enter the most inconvenient fuse location ever (under passenger front seat)

I also had a trifecta of abs/dtc/brake light, and I thought it was the abs unit since its' a common failed part but it looks like it's gotta be a bad sensor at one of the wheels. I'll figure that out later...

to be continued...
    Last edited by s14brent; 08-02-2018 at 10:33 PM.

My Cars
    89 325i & 02' 525iT
    I tried a few different combos to get the ride height set on the car since at this point I just passed smog finally.

I tried some german h&r's for wagon fronts.....they were like 1/4" lower or something....

then I got some JOM's used here....I shortly found the Fortune Auto's after so it was on for less than a month I'd say

I then found some used fortune auto fronts that were in pretty bad shape (left outside during east coast winters)....The FA's came with pretty low spring rates, and everything was in bad shape, so I ended up basically replacing/upgrading the parts. new radial bearings, camber plate adjusters (that i had spare from my e36 m3 to e30 swap), 8k spring rates, new dust boots, locking rings and locking spring perch. While I was doing that I replaced the front LCA and thrust arm with the new china ones that were given when I got with the car.

added some rear lowering links for the rear SLS

and this is how it's been for a while now.

I only recently added these gauge cluster rings in because I went through the box of parts that came with the car and rediscovered them

I found m-technic bumpers locally, the front was at a junkyard for $50, and the rear was on a wagon that got parted out. I just had them painted about a month ago finally.

the front had some garbage rattle can job, so I had to respray the front bumper trim black

front bumper has knock off parts, new grill, and fog lights. I also found out my fiske fm5's would not fit my e30 without a stretched tire (not my thing) so i sold the m-pars and threw the fiskes on the wagon since they had basically brand new dunlop direzza star spec II's on them.

while the bumper was off, I installed a curtis hitch on there to transport my mini bikes around town.

I have not put on the rear bumper diffuser yet because I have to figure out my exhaust first. It would be a waste to throw it on and have it melt.

and this is how ridiculous it looks once in a while using the curtis hitch/custom bike hauler LOL

The wagon has been on the road for over a year I'd guess and it has been very enjoyable, I really lucked out with that motor. At first I had my regrets coming from my e36 m3, but now I can actually use this to haul around my work equipment and it's a lot more under the radar so to speak. Only this week was there an issue, I got a low-coolant notification, and found a small and slow leak coming from the radiator. I ordered a new behr unit from FCP and I should have it by this weekend or Monday. That was the only part of the cooling system I did not replace as I thought it looked fine at the time. I just wanted a place to post updates vs pics of the day every once in a while. Thanks!
    Last edited by s14brent; 08-02-2018 at 07:47 PM.

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    Great post, Thanks for sharing your update!
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green

My Cars
    330i ZHP, 03 525iT Sport
    Love it.
    Inspirational.

My Cars
    '03 525iAT
    Yes. Very inspirational. It's nice to see all those pics too. You're very capable in so many facets of this car.

My Cars
    2003 E46 M3 / E30 Vert
    Very Cool, Awesome Knowing the History of it now! You definitely saved that car.

My Cars
    e30 IS, e39 IT, e46 IX
    Wonderful build. Awesome swap and sumo on the back.

My Cars
    89 325i & 02' 525iT
    Thanks everyone! I've been seeing more wagons go up for sale locally and cheap too. these are great cars and deserve to be saved! however i haven't seen a 5spd e39 at the junkyard all year long, or good condition m54b30's so i'm not sure it's always a good idea...

Quote Originally Posted by n4ppy View Post
    Wonderful build. Awesome swap and sumo on the back.
    I'm waiting for vegas to stop being hot/humid so I can take it out again soon, probably have to retune the carb again *sigh* but I went to my first "kart track mini-motos only" in March, and I'm hooked....and that's only a klx110 with a 143cc and big valve race head/cam and a 26mm carb. I'm thinking of getting a kx65 or cr85 if I want to be more competitive at the kart tracks but I don't really think I should get any more bikes because that would mean a moto van or some kind of small enclosed trailer would be needed to haul them around long distance. I'm not really wanting to become that committed and don't mind the small local parking lot races and occasional trails.

----------------------------
    Went to get my airbags checked out since I got the free inspection for the takata recall. The service tech called my car a classic, I'm not sure what that makes my e30 lol

Got my new Behr radiator yesterday and installed it before work today, what a dumb idea that was.

the comparison photo was taken at an angle and the new radiator was on top of the box, so it appears larger, it is not. It took a little under 2 hours to swap and bleed the system while taking a/c breaks.
    The radiator and clutch fan were the only two things in the cooling system that I didn't replace during the swap, but the clutch fan was actually replaced not long before I acquired the car and is still good, but the radiator was in much worse shape than I remembered it being the last time it was out.

either way...it's nice and new, and with a fcp liftetime guarantee. the fittings for the factory ps cooler had enough leakage around it that I got curious and pulled off those lines just to see how the o-rings were...both o-rings were basically non existent so I ran to my local bmw parts counter and got 2 of those before I almost ran out of time before work. everything is working great, no more seepage from both areas. All in all today was successful!
    Last edited by s14brent; 08-06-2018 at 02:31 AM.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Nice man. Boy I remember when you were first embarking on the swap etc., car has really come around since then... Car looks great, the Yak rack box on roof is a great look for a long-roof. I say this all the time but I'm increasingly interested in a "touring rally build" with big lights on the front, a big roof basket, jacked up ride height, big tires... If a cheap E39 Touring fell in my lap it might be a dangerous thing...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    2001 BMW 525i Touring
    What an excellent thread! Great job!
    Bimmer addict since 2016

Current:
    2001 BMW 525iT

Past:
    2003 BMW 325xi Auto (sold)
    2003 BMW 325i Auto (sold)
    2001 BMW X5 3.0i Auto (sold)
    2001 BMW 325i 5 spd (totaled)

My Cars
    naggin' wagon
    Very nice revival! Did you have any rubbing issues with the e38 mpars? I was about to buy some e38 mpars for a great deal but then I got scared that they might poke out too much and would rub the fenders (will be lowering my wagon soon). I have 15mm adapters to run the 74.1mm hubs.

I love the look! Always good to see junkyard scavengers like me lol. I love it when you find surprises at the junkyard.
    1994 325is (2006-2010) -- 1989 325i M50 Swap (2011 - 2014) -- 2001 525iT (2018 -Current)

My Cars
    89 325i & 02' 525iT
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Nice man. Boy I remember when you were first embarking on the swap etc., car has really come around since then... Car looks great, the Yak rack box on roof is a great look for a long-roof. I say this all the time but I'm increasingly interested in a "touring rally build" with big lights on the front, a big roof basket, jacked up ride height, big tires... If a cheap E39 Touring fell in my lap it might be a dangerous thing...
    Thanks again for all the help pointing me in the right direction! Yeah, the car was definitely questionable at first but I really am enjoying what it has become! (basically everything I wanted in a wagon!). I use the roof rack pretty often, but sometimes I question leaving it on, but I actually don't have the space to store it that would be easily accessible, so thank goodness it looks decent up there!

Quote Originally Posted by cheapE46 View Post
    What an excellent thread! Great job!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cmybimmer View Post
    Very nice revival! Did you have any rubbing issues with the e38 mpars? I was about to buy some e38 mpars for a great deal but then I got scared that they might poke out too much and would rub the fenders (will be lowering my wagon soon). I have 15mm adapters to run the 74.1mm hubs.

I love the look! Always good to see junkyard scavengers like me lol. I love it when you find surprises at the junkyard.
    The previous owner had 19's on the car and had the fenders rolled. The e38 mpar's wont stick out with 15mm adapters. i think i ran 235/40/18 and 265/35/18 and that fit under all 4 corners. I may have even ran 20mm up front and 15mm in the rear.

I haven't been to the junkyard since last year in March I don't think. I check their website inventory and the bmw's have been lacking big time in what i'd be interested in. The bmw section is hardly updated with mainly e38's, e36, and e46's. I also tend to stay away during summers, it's brutal out there in the vegas heat!

My Cars
    naggin' wagon
    Nice, I practically built my e30 m50 swap kit from the junkyard. Couldn't have done the swap without them (complete m50 swap under $1000).

I'm definitely subscribed to your build!
    1994 325is (2006-2010) -- 1989 325i M50 Swap (2011 - 2014) -- 2001 525iT (2018 -Current)

My Cars
    89 325i & 02' 525iT
    Quote Originally Posted by cmybimmer View Post
    Nice, I practically built my e30 m50 swap kit from the junkyard. Couldn't have done the swap without them (complete m50 swap under $1000).

I'm definitely subscribed to your build!
    Pretty much how I did my e30. I bought a donor 97' e36 m3 auto, and sourced everything else at the junkyard for the swap including all the obd1 components. I did buy a few of the things new like the 944 brake booster but yeah it's always much cheaper to go this route. I actually just got word there is a 89 325i sedan that just arrived at one of the yards, I'm gonna try to get some parts off that but I have no idea how long it takes for them to process and put out.

My Cars
    528iT
    Nice update! It's coming along well. Good score on the bumpers too, it's impossible to find any decent M5 bits, rep or not.

I went opposite of you, started with my interior and did all black M5 bits and refreshed part of the suspension. The exterior I'm still debating on what I want to do.

My Cars
    89 325i & 02' 525iT
    Quote Originally Posted by itsbrokeagain View Post
    Nice update! It's coming along well. Good score on the bumpers too, it's impossible to find any decent M5 bits, rep or not.

I went opposite of you, started with my interior and did all black M5 bits and refreshed part of the suspension. The exterior I'm still debating on what I want to do.

Thanks man, I got lucky finding both bumpers locally. I did not intend on doing the exterior first but things just fell into my lap that way.

I have front and rear seats in black, along with the door panels and carpet, oh yeah I also have a black suede headliner (nothing for the rear hatch area yet), but I take my dogs out fairly often where black interior would be an absolute nightmare since one of my dogs' coat is mostly white. I'll eventually get around to it, but I think the next thing I plan on doing is an exhaust so i can put the plastic diffuser back on the rear, and after that will be rear subframe bushings. Both things would be ideal to do at the same time, maybe during the winter here just because it's soo damn hot and lately humid here!

My Cars
    2003 E46 M3 / E30 Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    I say this all the time but I'm increasingly interested in a "touring rally build" with big lights on the front, a big roof basket, jacked up ride height, big tires... If a cheap E39 Touring fell in my lap it might be a dangerous thing...
    Something Like this? Would be sweet! Stolen from a FB Group, I believe its a (rough) rendering using RVAE34 Car as the Subject.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrifty S50 View Post
    Something Like this? Would be sweet! Stolen from a FB Group, I believe its a (rough) rendering using RVAE34 Car as the Subject.
    That old fotochop orig’d here years ago. There’s a version w it launching down a sand dune. But yeah, that sorta thing.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    03 530i, 99 Silverado
    Great progress on this touring. I can't wait to dig into mine and repair and upgrade everything.
    1999 528i Touring - Alpine White

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540iT/6
    GG you know I’m down for a build that provides enhanced ride on our lively NE roads....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    I wanna find a second wagon, do a lift and retro fit E60 Xdrive bits. Should make for a cool winter mobile.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    89 325i & 02' 525iT
    Quote Originally Posted by RRH View Post
    Great progress on this touring. I can't wait to dig into mine and repair and upgrade everything.
    thanks man! it's never ending beware!

------------------------------------------------------------

not much to update, had the wagon detailed last week - she needed it! Also, just prepped the wagon for a quick road trip to LA (leaving in a few hours). Hopefully nothing goes wrong, fluids topped off, tire pressure set, and a small bag of tools and a jack will be making it along on the trip with me. I got a set of 17x8 +20 style 32's for a good deal from a friend. I thought I could use it on my e30 but I ran into some slight fitment issues that i'll have to look into when I get back...mean while i thought I could run them on the e30 for this quick trip, but turns out they don't clear the m5 front brakes....son of a...
    I also have a set of AC Schnitzer type II 17x8.5+13 I'm not sure if I'm going to run those on the e30 or get refinished. All I know is that I'm running out of garage space with all these wheels.
    Here's a picture of the e30 at it's first debut since the build....I figure why not since it's mentioned quite a bit here but have no build thread here on bfc for reference.

e36 style 5's up front before I switched to e46 lca's and SLR mini angle kit, and e39 style 5's in the rear. s52 swapped, whole buncha dumb shit going on with this one.

My Cars
    89 325i & 02' 525iT
    been a while since I updated this. Nothing really new, I had a couple bulbs burn out, and i had to replace the HVAC panel since my old one decided to wig out towards the end of last summer. I just did an oil change and a new valve cover gasket (again unfortunately....it was seeping from rear).

I have massive camber issues on my driver front, been thinking of raising the car a bit for more ground clearance up front, fortune-auto camber plates are on max adjustment for positive camber...i'm not sure why the issue is there, lca/thrust arms were replaced since owning the car, i'm going to have to check the bushings out next time i have the front up on jack stands. Meanwhile I had the tire flipped and i'm just running it backwards for now. I'm going to keep an eye on it because I'll probably be replacing it sooner than later.
    About 6 months ago, my stock exhaust had to be replaced, the packing in the oem resonator fell apart and was making god awful noises. unfortunately that means I took my car to a local muffler shop and had them do it since i didn't really have the time (and materials) to try and mock it up and weld it under jackstands myself. I had a magnaflow Y put in by the headers to a magnaflow resonator and decided to keep the vibrant 2.5" bottle style resonator right before the muffler which is an APR muffler that i had laying around. It's no longer as quiet, but it's not unbearable which is nice, sounds a lot more tame than my s52 e30 with only a smaller resonator and vibrant muffler. I thought i had some drone, but it was a loose heat shield thankfully. I've even thought about throwing a cat in there just to get it to quiet down, but when you add it up, it's already pretty pricey just in parts already and i'm being cheap about the daily. I'd rather spend the money to replace my subframe bushings instead.

I also got rid of my ABS/BRAKE lights on my cluster finally. Bit the bullet and replaced all 4 abs sensors and the lights went away. I noticed my front left brake pad wear sensor wiring wasn't in the best shape so I replaced that also. The only light on my cluster now is the DSC. guessing it might be the precharge pump since i had the abs module rebuilt already but I'll have to have it scanned at a shop sometime, not a huge priority.
    Just been using it primarily as my daily driver, not a lot of time goes into it, but I do love this car!! It's been great, it still needs a lot of work, but I think most of the hard stuff is over *knocks on wood*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast