Thread: Kill me now, new 2006 with 54K transmission blown already

My Cars
    1995 740iL

Kill me now, new 2006 with 54K transmission blown already

Against my better judgement, I bought a 2006 750Li with 53K miles a few mnths ago. After less than 500 miles, the trans wouldn't go into gear from park, then went into limp mode, I drove it 3 miles to get to my Indy shop and got a transmission overheated message so I pulled over. Let it cool, drove the last mile, in the final 100 meters "DSC failure" display came on, shifted into PArk and smelled of trans fluid. Indy shop reader couldn't read any trans codes after all that.

I guess BMW has finally fucked me good after 24 years of owning these cars. Was recommended an honest local trans shop who told me about $3700 to re-build it.

Who would guess a trans failure at 54K?

Any other ideas

My Cars
    We have 5 BMW's (Cars)
    Are you getting any other errors?

I got a ton of random errors, trans failsafe etc when the integrated supply module failed (IVM)
    Was like &110 new from BMW

Sent from my S8 using Tapatalk
    1 E38, 1 E39, 2 E46's, 1 E65, 1 R22, 1 R75/5

My Cars
    2006 750Li, 2005 V70R
    Dude, no way. Been off the boards a while settling back in up here after moving back from Indy, really busy with the new position. Decided to peruse the board and thought your username looked familiar.... neighbor.

I have the carly app, though the stupid $82 carly dongle fried it works to scan with my other $15 OBDII dongle if you want to try scanning it.

That you smell ATF is a very bad sign IMO, as well as trans overheat message. But there might be a chance its not completely done yet, a scan might reveal some things.

If that $3700 is warrantied, bring them the whole car and they give the whole car back (vs just bringing them the trans) thats not bad. The parts for a full rebuild can easily run half that, when I rebuilt the 5HP in the ‘00 short sport I had I must’ve spent $800 in parts plus $300 for the converter, and I reused many bearings, all bushings, and most clutches and steels.

if it were me, I’d drain and drop the pan/filter, inspect the fluid and pan. If its not burned smelling or full of debris I’d change the four tube seals, bridge seal, and mechatronic sleeve, hose off the solenoids on the VB really good with brake cleaner, and button it back up, fill with ATF, clear codes and test it (presuming no solenoid codes, otherwise while you’re in there change those too, a kit is only $300). There is a ford ATF that I’m pretty sure is equivalent to the BMW ATF, and I can personally confirm transmax works because thats whats been in my 122k ‘06’s 6HP for the last 6k mile with no issues. This way you don’t spend a fortune on BMW fluid in case it doesn’t end up fixing it, and if it does you can DIY a full flush at home easily with the right stuff after confirming function (which would be a good idea anyway). Or, if its got debris and burned fluid when you drop the pan, either rebuild or have rebuilt.

Let me know if you want to scan, might have some time sunday or early evening during the week.
    Last edited by 377Z; 08-24-2018 at 10:12 PM.

My Cars
    1995 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by 377Z View Post
    Dude, no way. Been off the boards a while settling back in up here after moving back from Indy, really busy with the new position. Decided to peruse the board and thought your username looked familiar.... neighbor.

I have the carly app, though the stupid $82 carly dongle fried it works to scan with my other $15 OBDII dongle if you want to try scanning it.

That you smell ATF is a very bad sign IMO, as well as trans overheat message. But there might be a chance its not completely done yet, a scan might reveal some things.

If that $3700 is warrantied, bring them the whole car and they give the whole car back (vs just bringing them the trans) thats not bad. The parts for a full rebuild can easily run half that, when I rebuilt the 5HP in the ‘00 short sport I had I must’ve spent $800 in parts plus $300 for the converter, and I reused many bearings, all bushings, and most clutches and steels.

if it were me, I’d drain and drop the pan/filter, inspect the fluid and pan. If its not burned smelling or full of debris I’d change the four tube seals, bridge seal, and mechatronic sleeve, hose off the solenoids on the VB really good with brake cleaner, and button it back up, fill with ATF, clear codes and test it (presuming no solenoid codes, otherwise while you’re in there change those too, a kit is only $300). There is a ford ATF that I’m pretty sure is equivalent to the BMW ATF, and I can personally confirm transmax works because thats whats been in my 122k ‘06’s 6HP for the last 6k mile with no issues. This way you don’t spend a fortune on BMW fluid in case it doesn’t end up fixing it, and if it does you can DIY a full flush at home easily with the right stuff after confirming function (which would be a good idea anyway). Or, if its got debris and burned fluid when you drop the pan, either rebuild or have rebuilt.

Let me know if you want to scan, might have some time sunday or early evening during the week.
    377Z, YOU ARE THE BEST, it was a broken bridge seal. My indy fixed my transmission for $500 total 2 week ago. He said "lets drop the pan and see if the bridge seal is broken". The bridge seal was broken. He replaced it and 2 other gaskets, drained 8 quarts of my 12 year old fluid, replaced with new BMW trans fluid, and it works great at this time. Parts were $250, he only charged me $250 for labor.

I did some research online before we pulled the pan, some people said it is usually the valve body and you can get it rebuilt. I found a valve body rebuild service on Ebay for about $650, their phone is 1-888-511-7369 or 513-886-1215 in Cincinnati Ohio. I phoned Matt at the rebuild service and he said if I couldn't shift out of park it was probably a broken bridge seal, not a valve body issue. I could see why Matt didn't flourish in corporate America when he worked as the company IT guy, he is too honest. He has some interesting stories of his time in corporate IT.

Long story short, if I had taken my BMW to a dealer, I am afraid they might have sold me a new transmission for 12 billion dollars as BMW dealers seem to avoid any service of their transmissions. I have to question why an $85,000 car would have a plastic transmission bridge seal prone to breakage? Apparently some after market supplier makes a bridge seal replacement out of metal, why cant the OEM?

The 12 year old trans fluid with 53K miles looked like used motor oil, black. It didn't have odor other than smelling like transmission fluid. Time will tell if I damaged the transmission driving it until it displayed a "transmission overheated" message and shut down.

You really need an honest independent repair shop if you are going to have your older BMW worked on by others, that and you need to do your own research...

My Cars
    2006 750Li, 2005 V70R
    Wish I would've gotten to this two weeks ago, but I guess we'd have only saved $250. Frankly considering how pleasant the job of dropping the valvebody is on this car I think that labor was $250 well spent. Black is not unusual as long as it doesn't smell burned or have lots of debris in it. Hopefully he used a new pan/filter, if not you may want to get an OEM one and do another fluid change.

FYI, rebuilding the valvebody is pretty easy, and would cost about $600in parts including ancillary stuff like separator plate, seals, and fluid presuming new solenoids are included (you want that). I brought mine home on a trailer and had to do it to get the car to drive under its own power, has now 6K+ miles on it since and driving well.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...highlight=377z