Thread: Would like some help assessing a 2010 M5 in Woodbridge, VA

My Cars
    Disco II 850i MERs 750il

Would like some help assessing a 2010 M5 in Woodbridge, VA

Hi,
    Long time e31 and e38 owner and I'd like to buy a 2010 M5 at a dealer in Woodbridge, VA. Are any of you that are knowledgeable with this model anywhere nearby that could look it over with me? It's "sold as is" so I'm unsure of how to "test" all of the features.
    Please feel free to PM me or email me at bruinbro@sbcglobla.net or call/text me at 818-468-8599. I'm currently staying in lower Maryland and could be available whenever fits your schedule.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

My Cars
    M6 (2013)
    Steve, I can't help locally, but I can offer some thoughts on buying remotely.

Arrange with the seller to roll the car into a local BMW dealership and instruct them to perform a CPO-level inspection. The cost shouldn't be more than $350 and offer to pay for it, if you can't convince the seller that such an inspection is a valuable selling tool and in his interest (as is a Carfax) presuming the car checks out.

The standards for BMW dealers are very rigorous so if they give you the green light, then you know you've got a keeper, and any flaws they identify can become an item for price negotiation. Nobody will know what to look for and how to diagnose codes better than a BMW dealer. I would not trust an inspection of this car to an 'ordinary' local mechanic who's only going to look for leaks, listen for knocks, guess that it's OK, and take your money.

I know it sounds like a risk of $350, but the peace of mind it brings to know exactly where you stand, or to advise you to turn down the deal, is worth it, especially when buying a car at this level. In other words, if it costs you a few bucks to find out the car is a 'problem child' will save you ten or one hundred times that in repairs and heartache.

Also, such an inspection will serve as the basis to establish that there are no "pre-existing conditions" if you decide to purchase an aftermarket warranty and there's later a claim in dispute.

That said, if the seller declines, walk away. Period.
    Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Disco II 850i MERs 750il
    Thanks! I did my own diagnostic with my icebox and it was good to go. Talked to the dealer and shops where it was taken care of and no red flags. It drives and shifts fine and the suspension seems to work and the bits I could get at with the car on the rack seemed in good order (e31 and e38 owner experience). If the diff or tranny explodes it’s still worth it at the price point and what I’ve read about repair costs. Looking at part sales (actual sales, not listings) I could part it out and not lose out. Pulled the trigger and will take possession when I get back in town.

My Cars
    M6 (2013)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruinbro View Post
    Thanks! I did my own diagnostic with my icebox and it was good to go. Talked to the dealer and shops where it was taken care of and no red flags. It drives and shifts fine and the suspension seems to work and the bits I could get at with the car on the rack seemed in good order (e31 and e38 owner experience). If the diff or tranny explodes it’s still worth it at the price point and what I’ve read about repair costs. Looking at part sales (actual sales, not listings) I could part it out and not lose out. Pulled the trigger and will take possession when I get back in town.
    Great to hear. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk