Hello,

Professional installer of 35+ years, but have a customer with a '98 Z3 Convertible who wants a keyless entry. I've done a lot of BMWs in my time and know the factory alarm connector is behind glovebox, but this car never had an OEM keyless/alarm. The plug was taped and a pain to get free, but I did. I found all the wires I needed for this simple keyless entry system, but the door locks are not working.

I remembered how these cars that had the factory radio removed made the door locks stop working on the OEM systems because the switch behind the radio wasn't getting activated and the owner had recently had an after market radio installed, so I thought this would be the issue. But removing the radio revealed that there wasn't a switch in this car. I guess if the OEM alarm wasn't installed, then the switch behind the radio wasn't either.

So now I'm left with the task of getting the doors to work. The locks work, the car is in excellent condition and pushing the driver plunger locks/unlocks the passenger door.

Question: Is there another way you know of to interface to the locks? Can it be done on the comfort module? I hear this may be around the driver kickpanel. I know I could wire inside the driver door but this looks like it will be a major pain. The boot is small and feels crowded with wiring now and it's probably a connector too, right? If you have any ideas, please advise. I've never run across one of these where the wires in the OEM alarm plug didn't work the locks.