Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 1982 628CSi rebuild

My Cars
    1989 635csi
    I have found that the members of these forums, bigcoupe, mye28, and bimmerforums all have a great wealth of knowledge and are very willing to help. Bigcoupe is especially helpful with specifics towards the e24 and Mye28 is great for engine related questions and bimmerforums for everything else. Don't sleep on bigcoupe, they're incredibly helpful, but run by older gentleman that may be a bit more stubborn than necessary, but if you can get past that you can have almost any question you have towards your restoration answered by them. If you need any parts I have a parts car laying around that I haven't touched in sometime and might have something you need. Feel free to get in touch. Best of luck!

My Cars
    81 euro 635, 4.4 X5
    Shame you feel that way as Ron is one of the most helpful and knowledgeable E24 guys around. There is a reason for location and it's a shame you can't be bothered as the info on big coupe is the most in depth E24 technical stuff around. Maybe your loss rather than theirs?
    81 Euro undergoing total nut and bolt restoration
    pictures at: flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos

My Cars
    '86 M635/'10 Clubman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert Poliakoff View Post
    Shame you feel that way as Ron is one of the most helpful and knowledgeable E24 guys around. There is a reason for location and it's a shame you can't be bothered as the info on big coupe is the most in depth E24 technical stuff around. Maybe your loss rather than theirs?
    I agree BigCoupe is a fantastic resource. I'm not sure I'd be allowed to treat members here like that and keep my job as a moderator.

I'd like to request that we all get back on the (very awesome) thread topic.
    Last edited by e24mpwr; 10-20-2018 at 08:04 AM.

My Cars
    1982 628CSi
    Bert,

like I said, after a few times trying to create an account and the form kept on getting rejected one does not enter perfect information. I'm sure Ron is a nice guy when you get to know him and yes, I'm sure I would have wanted to sign up on BC but that is no longer an option as he just removed my posts. As I'm going to rebuild the car with an engine from an E39 I'm pretty sure this forum can help me a lot too.

Anyway: more pics:

- - - Updated - - -

My Cars
    86 635,72 E3, 88M6,73 E9
    I own a 635 and an M6 and have never had either down to the bare bones like you have here. I have to say I have an E9 I am doing a complete resto on.....and it is so clear it is the father of the E24. Stripped of the interior, they look identical.

BTW: Each time I see the Euro bumpers, I love them more.
    Rob E3

My Cars
    81 euro 635, 4.4 X5
    None the less, looks like you are off to a winning end result. Keep at it and if you decide you want to get back onto BC let me know and maybe I can help you in a more efficient way.

My Cars
    1982 628CSi
    Quote Originally Posted by kylefav21 View Post
    I have found that the members of these forums, bigcoupe, mye28, and bimmerforums all have a great wealth of knowledge and are very willing to help. Bigcoupe is especially helpful with specifics towards the e24 and Mye28 is great for engine related questions and bimmerforums for everything else. Don't sleep on bigcoupe, they're incredibly helpful, but run by older gentleman that may be a bit more stubborn than necessary, but if you can get past that you can have almost any question you have towards your restoration answered by them. If you need any parts I have a parts car laying around that I haven't touched in sometime and might have something you need. Feel free to get in touch. Best of luck!
    Thanks Kyle,

my account on BC is still active so if the need arises I'll ask questions over there too. Considering your parts car I might be asking you some time as I have some pieces of sheetmetal that I need. I will have to see if I can source locally, buy at Walloth&Nesch or find a part from your car. By the way things are looking now I am looking for some bits round a taillights and the lockcarrier in the rear. Later we will take the front off the car and we'll see the state of that to. Later we will remove the underbody coating and the sills to be able to look inside the car. I am confident there is rust to be found and as we are going 'all the way' on the shell I don't want to forget to inspect the inside of the sills.

My Cars
    1982 628CSi
    Quote Originally Posted by RSheiman View Post
    I own a 635 and an M6 and have never had either down to the bare bones like you have here. I have to say I have an E9 I am doing a complete resto on.....and it is so clear it is the father of the E24. Stripped of the interior, they look identical.

BTW: Each time I see the Euro bumpers, I love them more.
    Thats interesting Rob,

I never knew the inside of an E9 is basically the same as the E24-series. I love my Euro bumpers as they remind me a bit of the 60-ies American cars that were overloaded with chrome. Chrome fits the car just fine and I will keep it all on the car. Some people change to the shadowline look but I think thats too modern for the E24. Chrome it is!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Poliakoff View Post
    None the less, looks like you are off to a winning end result. Keep at it and if you decide you want to get back onto BC let me know and maybe I can help you in a more efficient way.
    Thanks Bert,

much appreciated.

My Cars
    1982 628CSi
    More cash has been spent, I bought a rotisserie for the chassis to hang in. My giess is that it will spend a lot of time hanging as this will make or break the shell. Not taking all rust of the car is a waste of time so we aim to do it properly. First the obvious parts will be repaired, such as the rearlamp surrounds, the wheel arches, the floor abd the inside of the sills. Also the inside wings are rusty on the occasional spot, and I guess in the engine area we will find more surprises when we get to media blasting.

My Cars
    81 euro 635, 4.4 X5
    Just to be on the safe side and for overkill I would cross brace the door openings with some tubing before hanging the shell. Take the chance of any body distortion out of the equation

My Cars
    1982 628CSi
    Thanks, I see many folks doing this as you don't know beforehand how many parts of structure you need to remove when restoring as now all is still covered with sound proofing. The floor might become a surprise so welding in a few reinforcements is definately a good plan. If you have more usefull ideas let me know, I sure appreciate them.

My Cars
    84 M635
    Quote Originally Posted by Nullified View Post
    Thanks, I see many folks doing this as you don't know beforehand how many parts of structure you need to remove when restoring as now all is still covered with sound proofing. The floor might become a surprise so welding in a few reinforcements is definately a good plan. If you have more usefull ideas let me know, I sure appreciate them.
    While you are in there .. You really should try and seam weld the entire car. The added rigidity can only help. Will give you an excuse to re-seam seal the car for better protection.

My Cars
    1982 628CSi
    That will definitely happen, the body will be media blasted and as a result all seam sealer will be removed necessitating new seam sealer. I'm curious how the parts under the front wings are like at this moment, we have still to take them off.

My Cars
    1982 628CSi
    I was thinking which look I want for the car, I have some things I want:
    * period correct
    * tough looking

I found this wheel mock-up website Californiaconcepts and the wheel brand Rotiform and for me to get a feel of the final look I am going for I will paste some pictures as a moodboard.

I have the BBS-Mahle 16x7 and 16x8 on the car now, and a set of 16x10 original BBS 3-piece wheels from 1986 but I will use a bigger brake kit so I will have to use a 17" wheel minimally. The mock-up pictures are with 18".

I don't know which colour my car will become so I chose silver in the configurator, it matches better than black, red and blue. I'll make a moodboard post for the colour later on. I know it's a bit early to think about colour and wheels but I don't want to decide last minute.

Last edited by Nullified; 12-10-2018 at 04:24 PM.

My Cars
    1x633, 1x E3 2 DR Racer
    Option 1 to 3 are the go. That bottom one feels a little "pimp-my-ride".

Top looks toughest and most period correct.
    1977 633 CSi RHD Euro. S38B38 3.9L M5 Transplant. 5 Speed Getrag Dogleg. 3.73 LSD. 417hp, 369lb/ft
    1971 3.0CS E3 2dr Alpina Special Coupe Racer, 347hp, 295lb/ft

My Cars
    1982 628CSi
    My ideas on the rims:
    1: very tough looking for sure
    2: remind me of the E34 M5
    3: no feelings
    4: reminds me of the BMW M1 rims

Example for 2:

Example for 4:

If I can find bigger barrels for my BBS rims I may end up using them

Last edited by Nullified; 12-11-2018 at 02:56 PM.

My Cars
    1982 628CSi
    I have some days off and I am cleaning out my garage, guess what I just found? The shipmentlabel reads may 20th 2016

38cm diameter fine splined M steering wheel with new leather and a shift knob with new leather!! Damn, Christmas came early this year!! The steering column has coarse splines but I'll change to a fine splined column for this steering wheel.

Last edited by Nullified; 12-11-2018 at 12:59 PM.

My Cars
    1982 628CSi
    Look what I just found: https://store.blackforestindustries....rs16to173.html!! I'll just keep that here for future reference. I can upgrade my BBS RS set from 16" to 17". By selling the existing barrels I can do it for a reasonable price too!

Only little detail is, the price is making my eyes water...

My Cars
    1982 628CSi
    Found a supplier closer to home which is also significantly cheaper: https://www.felgenfuchs.de/en/Outer-...terlip-17.html

My Cars
    1982 628CSi
    It took some time but the engine is out:

My Cars
    1982 628CSi
    This afternoon we delivered the engine/gearbox to a friend who will use it in his 1981 728. I gave him the headers, the guibo, AC-compressor and driveshaft too as he needed them.

My Cars
    1982 628CSi
    Hi all, it's been a while since I posted an update so here goes: the body is pretty bare as of now and the costly FeO2 has come into the light. These BMW's are known to be rustbuckets due to poor rustprevention, especially on the first models that were produced by Karmann.

I found a nice picture of the Dingolfing assembly line:

In rust we trust

Undergoing restauration; my 1982 628CSi: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...628CSi-rebuild

My Cars
    1982 628CSi
    At some point the body will be chemically treated to take all the paint and rust off and as I am located in The Netherlands and I have never done this before I hope there are local readers who can recommend me a supplier for this job.

Last edited by Nullified; 06-02-2019 at 06:28 AM. Reason: typo
    Undergoing restauration; my 1982 628CSi: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...628CSi-rebuild

My Cars
    Forced Induction!
    Amazing work...subscribed!

My Cars
    1982 628CSi
    Quote Originally Posted by slownrusty View Post
    Amazing work...subscribed!
    Thanks for the kind words, I've seen your videos and you seem to have a huge passion for older specialty vehicles. Is it hobby or has it grown into a commercial activity?

Here are some more pics:

Last edited by Nullified; 06-03-2019 at 03:39 PM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast