Thread: Engine swap DME problems

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325i Sedan

Engine swap DME problems

I have a 2003 BMW 325i that had the engine replaced and now refuses to crank. The only difference as far as the harnesses are concerned is the air intake temperature sensor located in the middle of the intake manifold. The electrical connector for the car originates from the harness box for the fuel injectors in its middle. The intake manifold for the original engine has a plug where the sensor would go to omit it. The harness box has a place showing in the mold in manufacturing which is a place for this connector, but it is not cut out or the mold has an insert to omit it because it is solid plastic with no hole for it. When searching car-part I found the most accurately suggested option as this description: (2.5L), exc. Xi; M56 (265S6 engine, SLEV, engine oil filler cap above timing cover) and so I figured I have an M56 engine because the oil cap is on top. I searched for my version of 325i specifically on car-part and I don’t know what the xi in this description means because it supposedly does not mean xi as in 325xi. The car which the engine came from is either a 328i or a 325xi I assume because it came from an AWD and the oil pan which had to be changed prior to installation. The engine had 325ci written on it, but a ci isn't an AWD vehicle. The receipt has 325xi written on it. The receipt also has VIN# WBAEU33404PR09893. The DME I got with the engine got smashed and two little stone appearing components broke off internally from the board. I may be able to replace one day since I'm going to Wright State University for electrical engineering. The smashed one has a triangle caution symbol with a circle arrow around it (to symbolize refusal to be allowed to start I assume) flashing in the instrument panel and the original one of the car has it constantly lit. Many of the instrument panel lights are lit such as the service engine light, low fuel, low oil, brake, ebs, and EML. I installed this engine myself with help from my brother and I know that it is mechanically square such as being able to turn the engine over with my hands having no plugs because it is engaged into the transmission pump correctly and all the plugs landing according to length and plug type. I also followed many you tube videos. All the plugs are originating from the car itself, no cut wires. The numbers I have from the DME modules are: DME MS43 7 528 050 5WK90018 index 08 below made in Germany is 26.11.03/3 (probably a date) I think the numbers on the other sticker is unnecessary to post but let me know if I’m wrong. The one just described is from the purchased engine. This is from the sticker of the one that came originally from the vehicle: 7 526 396 GS20 GM 96 025 533 SW86 Siemens 5WK33503AN 030304 000831705 the last part is in real small numbers near the bar code and again I don't think the numbers off the other sticker is necessary but let me know. I assume a DME module differs from an ECM and I can change one without interfering with the key chip because another control module is assigned to this task and it is also for security such as anti-theft. Is this correct? Do I need to replace this module or is the anti-theft going off and I need to replace the other? The temperature gauge isn’t pegged to all the way to hot because of a communication problem as is a common occurrence. please, I hope all this info isn't overwhelming and someone can help. I know it's helpful to provide info and be descriptive also. Thanks for any help and I'm sure it will be passed on.
    Last edited by TheTripleNiple; 08-01-2018 at 12:37 AM.

My Cars
    2000 E46 328i
    I can't really understand your post.. So you:
    - swapped the engine in your car, but don't know if you originally had an M56 or M54;
    - don't know if the donor engine is an M56 or M54, but they are in fact different.
    - did NOT swap the DME from the donor car because it was damaged in the crash.

Correct? I'd go and find out which engine is which, first. Obviously if you try to use an M54 DME on a M56 or vice versa it probably won't work. Get a DME that fits the new engine exactly and preferably get the EWS unit, keys and cylinders with it that came from the same car. Replace everything and the EWS should not really be a problem. Another option is to just get the DME and re-sync it with the EWS from the original car; but you probably need a shop for that.

Also get yourself an OBD cable and INPA, as these kind of puzzles are much easier if you know exactly what kind of errors the car is throwing.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325i Sedan
    Sorry about the un-careful and confusing wording of the first post, I edited it. I have this Problem solved but a complete failure. I got an OBD2 code reader and got 12 error codes. I assume this was from trying the broken DME module. I then cleared the codes and only got 1. It was P0700 which is a transmission failure code. I knew I didn't fill the transmission with fluid after changing the filter and assumed I should test my work before progressing. I should have known BMW doesn't think you know that you aren't supposed to drive your vehicle without transmission fluid. Well, that was my all american initial mode of thinking anyways. Stopping the vehicle from running can save the vehicle damage when the problem is unaware to the owner I assume. I then filled the transmission but could only get two quarts in it with the front jacked up. This didn't fix the problem and I proceeded to jack the rear up to get more in it. I got another 2 quarts in it. That did it the car turns over, only super fast with no compression. I only paid $500 a $25 fee and tax for the engine and assume I got ripped off. I was told the engine only had like 130-140k on it and they are probably so full of it. Is there any reason this design of engine can cut compression through the vanos or something unfamiliar to me? It seems like I have no plugs in it but they are there. It does not seem this amount of cutting compression can even be possible without it being intentional. Who knows maybe all the rods are broken at the crank. (kind of a joke)

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325i Sedan
    Called and was told I would be taken care of as far as a replacement engine is concerned. Maybe it was just one person's mistake being that the engine was marked 325ci and that all wheel drive engine obviously didn't come from one. Hope that it's in good condition because he said he has 20 of them. I sure did a lot of unnecessary work to get it in and out with only a cable hand wench or come-along. Don't mean to continue a thread without new relative updates to my problem except to eliminate possible embarrassment as if I may not know how to achieve the tasks I take on. Will only update yes successful or need help in the future. I guess the only thing people may have learned is you can't try to start a BMW without trans fluid.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325i Sedan
    Oh, and I know my engine is an M54. All I had to do is see a pic by search on google. There was no crash but the module may have been damaged while being moved.

My Cars
    2000 E46 328i
    About the trans fluid: I wouldn't know if a car would start without trans fluid, but it seems like a bad idea to try because of the torque converter.

There are other reasons why the car wouldn't start with a transmission error; i.e. if the transmission is not in neutral or park, if the DME is not connected to the transmission computer, if some sensor connections to the transmission computer are missing, etc. Something that might be worth double checking..

For the sound of the engine starting that sounds like there's no compression: you did put spark plugs in the engine, right? (just kidding)

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325i Sedan
    Yeah, I know you are just joking, but yes I thoroughly investigated all the plugs my brother put in and they were fine. Yes running an engine without transmission fluid could hurt the torque converter but not just a crank, run then shut off period of time simply for the purpose of testing success. If the torque converter is primed it's fine for even a minute of idle which would be a long time for the purpose of testing. I have a different problem now. I brought the engine back and after being refused a straight up exchange I pointed out that the engine was mislabel. Directly after pointing that out and upon investigating the markings he said "oh, yeah that engine is blown." as if it were marked right on it. Before all this happened I was offered an m56 engine to replace my m54. I forgot reading that they may not be compatible. Because of being the same displacement 2.5 liter I assume that after changing the intake manifold from the m54 it will just start up and run. If something is not calibrated mechanically with the sensors and DME it may not have correct fuel consumption and emissions and also may run some components of the engine into the ground. Someone said on a e46 forum that you just need the dme from the m56. I feel like driving all the way back to Columbus, rather than taking the chance, but it is my retired father's car who lives in my house and he is getting upset. I want to work on my vehicles also but I was really wanting to do this for him and drive it. I think it very well work out beyond people's fear but how would anyone know? That is unless they have done it. It would be a long shot that one would try and if so they would be too embarrassed to say, unless they would be the type of person to not even be on a forum. Does anyone have any input if I should try.
    Last edited by TheTripleNiple; 08-02-2018 at 06:55 PM.

My Cars
    2000 E46 328i
    M54 engines are widely available so I wouldn't bother trying to get an M56 to work. I'd say get your money back and get yourself a M54 with the same displacement as your original engine from somewhere else. It could save a lot of headache.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325i Sedan
    Good idea, especially when the m56 is a 3 liter and my m54 was a 2.5. I need to get a 2.5 liter m54. I heard that an m54 comes in both an 3 and 2.5 liter version anyone know if this correct?
    Last edited by TheTripleNiple; 08-04-2018 at 12:18 AM.

My Cars
    2000 E46 328i