Thread: Trying to keep my bmw forever! Help!

My Cars
    1986 BMW 325es

Trying to keep my bmw forever! Help!

Hello everyone,

I have searched on this site and others for years ever since my Dad "sold" me his '86 BMW. I use quotes because he sold it to for me $1 as the lesson he wanted me to learn was how to go to the DMV and handle a change of title and all that... I have finally worked up the courage to join so I can talk to everyone when in need of help.

I own a 1986 BMW 325es. I believe it was produced in 1985 however. My current situation is that the battery is being drained somehow. There are only two options:

1. The Alternator is faulty after years of use (hasn't been replaced in at least 15 years if not ever) and is drawing power from the battery, killing it.

2. Somewhere there is a parasitic drain drawing power from the battery (obviously this can be tested with an Ampmeter and pulling fuses until finding the draw, etc.)

I am posting because I wanted to get your guys opinions, and a few of them really, on the best Alternator I should buy myself to have my mechanic install. He's not a fan of Bosch anymore and suggested Denso for $300+. I'd rather buy my own remanufactured Alternator myself. I Live chatted some guy on Bimmerworld and he only recommended the OEM- nothing else.

I'm stuck here because I want to make the right decision! Also, for those who know details, would an 80 amp or 90 amp be better?
    When I called some parts dealers they explained that if my car was produced after December 1985, I should purchase the 90 amp (if before, then the 80 amp).

Here are some additional details for those of you who are interested and have any interest in helping me maintain and keep this puppy!

Almost all parts of the car have been replaced aside from the Alternator (I think), the Engine, and smaller components like the washer fluid gasket.
    These replacements have happened over the years however, not all at once.

The radio doesn't work, and neither does the AC. They've been disconnected. The fan works.

I'm worried my power steering gasket has a hole, as the liquid is murky, not clear (or "brown clear" as in the bottle).

Other than that, SHE RUNS GREAT! About 155,000 miles on her and, when all is well, starts up and drives like a charm.

Hope to hear from you guys and talk more. Thank you for reading!

-YBF

My Cars
    1989 Bmw325IC
    Actually, there is a 3rd possibility, you have a bad battery.

Before even thinking of an alternator, you need to determine if its the battery or something is draining it.

Then if you are getting to replacing an alternator, it's no big deal. One of the easiest jobs to do. So buy whatever alternator you want. Keep the receipt. Most of the alternators are rebuilt - I don't even know if you can get a new one. In addition since you have an old car you better start doing the work yourself unless you have deep pockets.

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    Yup. Pick one up from your local auto parts place and get a metric tool set and tear it out. Its very easy and totally worth it as a first place to work on your car.

I saw get one from your local place because its a lot easier to return to the local place then deal with shipping and your car being down. I always get the small stuff locally, alternator, starter, break pads, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh ya, youtube videos on how to do swaps if you have a hard time following the bentley manual. Thats the best manual for your e30

And welcome to the 325e car. Its a super car
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    1986 BMW 325es
    @aaverhulst & @superj thank you guys for your response.

I just replaced the battery last Friday and this past Sunday the car was dead. Positive new battery was full when purchased at Autozone.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, I don't think the battery can drain itself? Or if it can, would it be because of faulty car terminals?

Was thinking about picking up a Bosch, just to keep it German...

I'll keep you guys updated on what happens, I have to go get the alternator and try to put it in.

-YBF

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    I’d start by looking for a parasitic drain.
    No sense in replacing the alternator while it’s your glovebox light or your stereo draining your battery..
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    yup. and it could easily be you glove box light, or trunk light.
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    1989 Bmw325IC
    A good alternator will put out approx 14 Volts. Put your multimeter on battery cable to see how many volts you have while car is running. You need to do simple trouble shooting before just throwing parts at the problem. Also check for parasitic drain, just as you said, disconnect positive battery cable connection, put your multimeter on amps and connect to battery cable and battery. Because the computer is always on there will be a small drain, something like .3 or .03 amps. I can't remember the exact number.

My Cars
    92325ic 93325ic
    power antenna is classic drain problem. there are a few. hook ammeter to battery. you will have some drain. you will notice a larger drain if you have one. pull fuses one by one and note drain changes. when you notice the large drain drop-you have to track down the culprit associated with that fuse. try the archives here-this is a very common problem.
    steve

richardodn is offline Old Guy BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    20 440ix cab, 12 X3 35ix
    You have one other potential problem. Early instrument clusters routed the alternator's exciter wire through a light bulb in the cluster. (The exciter turns the alternator on.) If the bulb burns out, the alternator won't charge. Start by charging up your battery to a full charge. Turn the key on but don't start it. Does the alternator light come on? Start your car. Does it turn off? The follow the instructions in this post https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...5#post28741145
    "Howdy, Folks!"

1986 Delphin 528e - Roof rack equipped lumber hauler.
    1989 Zinnoberrot 325iX Sedan - I miss this car. (Deceased)
    1998 Avus Blau 328iC - Someone else's project now
    2008 Platinum-Beige X3 3.0si - Current project
    2012 Alpine White X3 xDrive35i - My new snowmobile.
    2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio - This car is a blast to drive.

My Cars
    1986 BMW 325es
    Hey everyone,

Sorry I haven't written in a while, life has gotten in the way.

The batter issue with my car did end up being a parasitic drain from the alternator which was essentially burned out. So I had to get a new one. Funnily, I still have the old old.

I'll post pictures of my baby tomorrow because I'd love to get feed back on some things but she's been driving well and I need to keep her for as long as possible.

-

My Cars
    you can buy a kit to fix your old alternator if it just had worn out brushes. then you have a back up. a brush kit is not expensive
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    1986 BMW 325es
    Hello! Attached are pictures of my matchbox. As you can see there is rust on some areas and a few dents. Any advice on the close up of the lights on the back license plate?

Anything else you guys notice please tell me!

Attachment 672433 Attachment 672434 Attachment 672435 Attachment 672432 IMG_5911.jpg

My Cars
    1986 BMW 325es
    Here are additional pictures:

I don't know how to handle rust and cracks. The spoiler on the back right of the car is lose and not drilled down. As you can see it also need a paint job.

Lastly, I'll post two pics of the engine in a final post.

IMG_5189.jpg IMG_2822.jpg IMG_2044.jpg IMG_3940.jpg IMG_4709.jpg

My Cars
    1986 BMW 325es
    ENGINE PICS: (from opposite sides of the car)

IMG_4913.jpg IMG_3390.jpg