Thread: E31 clutch pedal freeplay

My Cars
    850i-6sp, MR2-T, SC400

E31 clutch pedal freeplay

Haven't posted in awhile, but happily, haven't had a reason. The car has been running great, when I have had time to drive it. I've been traveling a lot again the past few months, so when I do get it out, it's like a new experience . Anyway, the last couple of times I've driven the car, it seems like there is too much free play in the clutch pedal. I use this forum as my primary starting reference and did some searches and can't come up with any hits. I seem to recall seeing something before that maybe the brake or power steering reservoir was also used for the clutch? Is that true? Seems unusual if it is. I don't have any leaks on the floor, and clutch engagement and feel seems to be normal. Normally I would just bleed the master/slave cylinder, but I have not yet familiarized myself with this system on the E31. The DIY's seem to have disappeared and Timm's site has nothing on clutches that I can find. Can anybody offer a starting point for research? Thanks!

My Cars
    bmw 850
    It is connected with the brake system so if you going to bleed it you will need brake fluid. I pressure bleed the slave cylinder from bottom up, that way any air in the system will come up with the old fluid into the brake reservoir.

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Check to see if you have the all too common clutch slave cylinder failure.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    850i-6sp, MR2-T, SC400
    Ok, thanks for the advice. I did find the clutch bleeding instructions (along with the reference to the brake fluid reservoir) in the service manual. But nothing on free play adjustment. My MR2 has a mechanical adjustment on the pedal, but not sure about the E31. A worn slave cylinder did enter my mind. I think the PO replaced it when he did the new clutch, but it has been a few years. I'm getting about two inches of free play and I believe it was under a 1/2" earlier this year. I have a power bleeder from Harbor Freight. I'll see if I can get it to work on the BMW this weekend. Might just need to do a complete fluid flush anyway.

My Cars
    1991 850i
    I'm interested in your results MFGGUY. I have the same issue. I use my toe on my left foot to pull the clutch back up to the top. It seems to rest about 2 inches from the floor. Still engages, but barely. No fluid anywhere either.

My Cars
    850i-6sp, MR2-T, SC400
    Did a complete brake/clutch system flush yesterday with my harbor freight power flush tool. No issues with that, but didn't change the free play on the pedal. I really didn't think it would, but it was easy and probably a good idea. Fluid was a little on the dark side. I measured the free play and it's about 1 3/4". Does this seem normal? Both my MR2 and Porsche have between 1/4" and 1/2" of free play. I started noticing this after installing new coco mats (very nice, by the way). They are kind of thick and changed how my foot rests on the clutch pedal. But the free play is real and not because of the mats. It didn't help that I was travelling almost all winter and spring, and kind of lost touch with the feel of the pedal from last year. Changing the slave cylinder looks fairly easy, but if it turns out that the problem is the clutch master cylinder, that looks a little tougher to get at. Again, the clutch works fine, just have to overcome lots of pedal travel to get it to engage.

My Cars
    1985 M635CSI, 1992 850i
    I have a lot of free play too, at least compared to my '85 635. It's a much softer pedal, too.
    I reverse bled by slave cylinder a few weeks ago and it got a little better, but it still feels soft.
    My 850 is a '92 with about 30k miles on it, so it's not like it's worn out. Unless I obtain new information, I just assume it's supposed to be that way...

My Cars
    91 e31 92 e31
    Any further information on this issue?
    I never just like to throw parts at things but it seems like replacing a slave cylinder seems easy and not too expensive

My Cars
    1991 850i
    What about the spring on the clutch pedal?

My Cars
    91 e31 92 e31
    Changed the slave cylinder. Bled it all is good now