Thread: S54 into 95 M3 - lets get current info

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe

S54 into 95 M3 - lets get current info

Trying to get modern updated info on swapping a S54 (OBDII) into a 95 M3 (OBDI). A lot of information is very old or refers to 96+ swaps. There are newer options out there (Harness Packages, DBW conversions back to wire etc). Most of the old information basically says don't do it because it's too difficult and not worth it.

Car is 90% track car but does get driven to the track. Currently has A/C Delete. I do use cruise control driving to the track but thats not a deal killer. Goal is to have it as "street legal" as possible. FYI - Emission testing is no longer required in NC due to the age of the car but "street Legal" will be a bonus at time of sale possibly. So, this may not be a big issue if it's too much trouble.

I have a 2005 S54 SMG engine in my possession with the wiring harness and MSS54HP DME. (I know it will need re-flashed to "Manual, SAP Delete, EWS Delete").

Several Custom Harness options are out there: (Redline, Harvey Racing, Kassel). They all claim to be "plug and play" which my nature is highly skeptical. I've been told there are even Harness conversions to plug into my Non CAN BUS Instrument cluster. At this point in my life, I would rather buy a pre-wired harness than deal with customizing one myself.

Instrument Cluster: Would like as many functioning lights as possible.
    Currently have original 95 M3 Cluster (NON - CANBUS). Redlines at 7K, Not 8K like the S54.
    I see MSSPORTS can reflash a Z3 CANBUS Cluster to a Z3M Cluster. Would need to change the face card to get the accurate RPM reading.

Would like to keep original 95M3 ABS system is possible. Not a deal killer, half the time I pull the relay and drive without it. But sometimes I like it.

So who's got the one weekend plug and play solution LOL

My Cars
    z3
    Redline harness, s54 Z3m conversion cluster and a little wiring to support the cluster

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Been discussing with Redline. Pretty sure this is the company I will use for the harnness. They have been very responsive.

Current recommendation is to use my existing 95M3 cluster. Canbus cluster will provide AC (deleted) and Check Engine light. But I can still use the OBDII port for codes. Any other reason Canbus is a must? So other than the functioning CEL light, any other reason.