Thread: S52 Misfire at 3500-4000 and above

My Cars
    99 M3 95 M3 13 MCS

S52 Misfire at 3500-4000 and above

I seem to have developed a misfire on my S52 and am struggling to locate the problem. All spark plugs are good, all coils are good, vanos is okay, maf is okay. I honestly am not sure where to look. The only thing I can come up with would be my CCV. It has been deleted and is currently venting excess gas and oil directly to atmosphere. From my experience with these cars, this theoretically shouldn't cause the problems I've been having, but maybe someone who knows more than me can help me out. The problem I am having is completely random as to when it will actually misfire, in relation to how long the car has been running, but once it starts, it will not stop until I shut the car off and let it sit for roughly thirty seconds. On initial start up and when I start it after having turned it off to try to correct the problem, it will start and idle perfectly. Only when I go above 3500RPM will it start again. The car was initially running fine, but after about 7-8 months of driving it without the CCV is when it started to develop these problems. Does this seem like it could be related? Is there a way to route a catch can so that I can run the vapors from the catch can back to the intake, therefore having no vacuum leaks? I've searched but did not find anything very similar to my problems. Hopefully this is something someone else has experienced and been able to correct.

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    cam or crank sensor?
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    are slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
    cam or crank sensor?

This. I had a bad cam sensor and had constant misfires.

It should throw a check engine light as well.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronG View Post
    The only thing I can come up with would be my CCV. It has been deleted and is currently venting excess gas and oil directly to atmosphere.
    Thats not right

My Cars
    '98 M3 Alpine White
    .... Is there a way to route a catch can so that I can run the vapors from the catch can back to the intake, therefore having no vacuum leaks?....
    Put the original parts back in. You're not likely to re-engineer a better solution.
    See ya later,

tony
    '98 M3, '92 Dinan3, '05 R1100S BCR, '07 R1200S, Aprilia T

My Cars
    99 M3 95 M3 13 MCS
    Thanks for the replies. I checked resistance of the cam sensor and it seemed to be okay, but I may just go ahead and replace it along with redoing the original CCV set up and hope for the best.

My Cars
    are slow.
    Thanks for the replies. I checked resistance of the cam sensor and it seemed to be okay, but I may just go ahead and replace it along with redoing the original CCV set up and hope for the best.
    Try doing the same test when the unit is hot. I had a very strange issue where I had no misfires when my engine was cold, but once driven for 15+ minutes, it would misfire like crazy. The resistance when hot vs when cold was way different. Just something to keep in mind.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    With misfire, I would work backwards...do you have a scan tool? Are you misfiring in all cylinders? Check the easy stuff....plugs, boots, coils, coil harness, ground wires on the valve cover.
    1997 Arctic Silver/Black M3
    CES Stage IV (651rwhp/615rwtq @ 24 psi)

1999 Techno Violet/Dove M3
    Auto/Convertible and staying stock!

My Cars
    97 M3
    We had something like this develop due to dirty injectors, but it showed at high rpms at high load only; turning the car off and on again fixed it until the next time we made it happen. I'd dump in a bottle of Techron and see if that has any effect on where the misfire occurs in the rev range and under what load conditions. Ex: if the misfire occurs at 5500 when the car is in neutral and you're just revving the engine vs. 3500 when you're in 4th going up a hill.
    '97 M3/2/5 Lux, AW/Modena, ~225k, many mods and lots of grip
    Please lift when giving a point by

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    Also, look for water in #6 plug well ... or oil in any of them
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    98 M3 Coupe
    Hope you got it fixed by now, but any codes? I have catch can and it does not misfire.