My Cars
    2013 BMW X5 xDrive 35i

Question Clunking noise when applying the brakes

I bought a used 2013 X5 on June 9. I didn't notice this noise at first, but it MAY have been there....I have a habit of having the radio turned up a bit.

Anyway, a few weeks after my purchase, I noticed that when I turned around in front of my home, there would be a clunking noise, which sounds like it's coming from the rear brakes, the first time I use my brakes after turning around. I quickly came to realize that this clunking noise would occur the first time I apply the brakes after I had been in reverse, braked, shifted into drive, and then use the brakes. It only happens once after shifting out of reverse, but depending on how quickly I apply the brakes, I can hear two distinct clunks (when braking lightly).

I suspect something is shifting around, like perhaps the calipers on the rear wheels, but I dont know anyone else who owns a BMW, and I really dont want to pay a diagnostic fee at a BMW service center if this is something I can take care of myself.

I'm not TERRIBLY handy with vehicle repairs, but I can follow directions well.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this normal, or does it sound like I have a problem?

Thanks in advance!!
    - Fuzz

My Cars
    Audi A6
    There's several items in the back of the vehicle that could make a clunk like subframe bushings, suspension bushings, etc...

But wait, just to help narrow it down I got 2 questions for you...

1- do the clunks take place precisely when shifting out of Reverse (while still stopped), OR once you start rolling forward after shifting out of Reverse?

2- Does this only happen in the mornings on a cold vehicle or does it also do it once it's warmed up?

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Well if your not that good with cars how are you going to fix it. Take it to a good independent BMW shop, could be thrust rod bushings

My Cars
    2013 BMW X5 xDrive 35i
    Hi 95!

I think I misconveyed the issue. It only happens when actually applying the brakes, not when shifting. However, I've come to notice that it happens ONLY after having been in reverse, and it only happens the FIRST time I apply the brakes after having been in reverse. I live on a dead-end street, and must do a 3 point turn every time I leave my home, so I notice it every morning when I get to the end of my street and apply the brakes. It only happens in the scenario, and it happens EVERY time this scenario occurs.

And JClausen, while I appreciate your advice, I was eluding more to the fact that my troubleshooting skills are not necessarily on par with those of an actual mechanic. I'm handy enough with tools, just need to know where to look...know what I mean?

Thanks, both of you

My Cars
    Audi A6
    (this is just me brainstorming so I apologize for the rambling)

Ok thanks for the clarification! You got two things going on there- a shift of the transmission, and your foot going onto the brake.

I think what's intriguing me about this is that it only happens at that instance and it's not repeated when you make the same scenario later down the road. It's a far shot but since it's new to you, did you happen to get its service history(if it was available at all?).

Because of how it's behaving, I'm ALMOST ruling out any suspension/ chassis/ drivetrain. Whatever it is seems to relax and tension up, and possibly making a clunk when you first start driving.

I got 2 possibilities-

1- Trans fluid low (not dangerously because you'd have a tranny code for that), but fluid moves in your transmission through passages controlled by the valvebody (which is electronically controlled by the TCM). Now, it is possible for the transmission to make a clunk-like sound if it jerks by way of fluid being low and being redirected from the R gear passages into the (maybe dry overnight?) forward gears. This would also imply transmission mount may be bad allowing for the jerking that would otherwise be minor.

How to go about it- If you know someone with a scanner capable of reading BMW codes (not just ODB2 codes), you can usually also check fluid levels via the program. Also, the transmission mount can be checked by taking a look at it. You may have to remove the cross-member to get a proper look.

2- As for the brakes, Bleed the system to make sure you have no air pockets in it. Also do an inspection on your rear brakes while in there to make sure the caliper pistons are not getting stuck (also check for proper even wear on the pads).

There's many things in the X5 that can make clunks while moving. The oddball here is that it goes away once it happens once after its been sitting in a while. A lot of the "usual suspects" of clunks get ruled out because they would be repeatable every time. That's the only reason I'm coming to these two ideas.

Let us know if you find something else/ what you find in there! This is a good mystery lol

My Cars
    98 M3 vert, 05 X5
    This is a mystery. I have a clunking/thumping noise in my front brakes/front end, but it always happens when I hit the brakes hard. The control arms and bushings are in good condition. Brakes are newish and wearing evenly. I've wondered if it's the shocks, but mechanic says they're fine. I wish you luck figuring your mystery out!
    Shizzam!

My Cars
    2013 BMW X5 xDrive 35i
    Quote Originally Posted by 95BlkMax View Post
    (this is just me brainstorming so I apologize for the rambling)

Ok thanks for the clarification! You got two things going on there- a shift of the transmission, and your foot going onto the brake.

I think what's intriguing me about this is that it only happens at that instance and it's not repeated when you make the same scenario later down the road. It's a far shot but since it's new to you, did you happen to get its service history(if it was available at all?).

Because of how it's behaving, I'm ALMOST ruling out any suspension/ chassis/ drivetrain. Whatever it is seems to relax and tension up, and possibly making a clunk when you first start driving.

I got 2 possibilities-

1- Trans fluid low (not dangerously because you'd have a tranny code for that), but fluid moves in your transmission through passages controlled by the valvebody (which is electronically controlled by the TCM). Now, it is possible for the transmission to make a clunk-like sound if it jerks by way of fluid being low and being redirected from the R gear passages into the (maybe dry overnight?) forward gears. This would also imply transmission mount may be bad allowing for the jerking that would otherwise be minor.

How to go about it- If you know someone with a scanner capable of reading BMW codes (not just ODB2 codes), you can usually also check fluid levels via the program. Also, the transmission mount can be checked by taking a look at it. You may have to remove the cross-member to get a proper look.

2- As for the brakes, Bleed the system to make sure you have no air pockets in it. Also do an inspection on your rear brakes while in there to make sure the caliper pistons are not getting stuck (also check for proper even wear on the pads).

There's many things in the X5 that can make clunks while moving. The oddball here is that it goes away once it happens once after its been sitting in a while. A lot of the "usual suspects" of clunks get ruled out because they would be repeatable every time. That's the only reason I'm coming to these two ideas.

Let us know if you find something else/ what you find in there! This is a good mystery lol
    Thanks 95!! Those are some good places to start. I think I'm going to check the brakes first, because that seems like the simpler place to start. Also, just to make sure we're still both on the same page, the problem isn't just the first time I turn the vehicle around in the morning. I drove down to the lake the other day - about a 50 minute trip. Got there, turned around to park, and it clunked just the same way when I started moving forward after backing up. I read in another thread that a caliper bolt had come either loose or out (cant really be sure what the guy said...it wasn't very well worded) and another that someone had slightly undersized pads on that were shifting whenever changing wheel direction. Either way, that's 3 suggestions for brake-related issues, so starting there seems like my best attack. And undersized pads makes the most sense, since I hear two distinct clunks if I brake softly...I doubt I have missing or loose caliper bolts on both rears...LOL

I'll definitely keep this thread updated as I investigate the issue.

Thanks again!!

My Cars
    2008 E83 3.0d Auto
    Re: Brake clunk noise......
    Caliper twist -
    There is 2 primary parts to a caliper.......the fixed cradle and the floating caliper. Cradle has 2 steel pins that the floating caliper slides on....(loose terminology, floats).
    In an ideal situation, under pressure, caliper piston compresses the pads, body extends or moves out at 90 degrees to the rotational axis of the disc/rotor as a result of the pressure exerted on the pads. This lateral float movement is basically governed by sliding on pins, that are fixed to the cradle. The caliper needs to and will shift vertically due to the forces experienced at the pads meeting the rotor in motion. This vertical movement is yielded by rubber sleeves (that are mounted in the caliper) riding the steel pins.

As a result of either long time wear, fatigue or other influence, the float of the caliper can develop a pronounced 'twist' vertically under the reflected rotational friction of the pads against the moving rotor.
    Even the cradle will develop wear tracks where the pads slide inwards - promoted by the rotational force or the moving rotor against the fixed pad.
    In many respects, it is not that unusual in high mileage cars. Rubber sleeves floating on the pins soften allowing more flex vertically to the floating caliper and pads become loose or less secure in the cradle where they become able to jump up or down depending on the forward or reverse force to be arrested.

Another wild thought that cannot be discounted is the wheel bearing.........
    Caliper/cradle is set to a fixture point that is locked or referenced to the suspension arm or hub where as the rotor axis is governed by the wheel bearing.
    If the wheel bearing is aged (that is, not prime condition but still within a service life), some element of minute wear could be present in the bearing that is accentuated by road loads.
    Minute deviations in rotor axis will subtly separate the pads.....requiring more brake pedal stroke - indicating more caliper movement.

My X3 has a delayed "pedal stroke vs brake feel" (along with a left rear caliper clunk -after forward to reverse or vice-versa).......yet, the hill side brake assist function, sees the brake pedal function "resist point" rise to the top of the stroke along with very effective "pedal to stopping power" relationship.
    Every other application of the brakes sees the pedal sink 1/4 to 1/3 down before hydraulic resistance is felt.
    I have caliper slop in the X3......I suspect it is related to the wheel bearing/s as the previous owner/s used the car as a bush wagon (...discovered the front struts were bent along with other front end irregularities...)
    So that is what I will be looking to resolve when the opportunity arises.