Thread: Advice on Selling My Shark

My Cars
    1988 BMW M6

Advice on Selling My Shark

Hi folks, I apologize in advance if this is inappropriate or frowned upon in the forums. I'm looking at possibly selling my '88 M6 and I'm looking for advice. The conditions and asking prices of comparable cars on the market are wildly inconsistent. Mine is probably middle of the road as far as current condition - mainly because it could use a repair or two and the paint is Meh. I can go into detail as to what has been done in the 7 years I've owned (long list) it and what needs to be done (not as long), but I dont want to waste your time. The big/noticeable issues are below.

- Paint finish is starting to crack in several areas, but no visible rust anywhere on the car. Probably needs a full paint job.
    - Rear body bushings need replaced - been quoted at ~$1200
    - AC Doesnt work (Still R12)
    - No horn - Sensor came dislodged and ripped out when I turned the wheel one day.

Otherwise, tons of new parts over the past 7 years. Timing was replaced before I bought it. Interior is above average for its age.

Currently at just over 150k miles, I've put about 30k miles on it. Runs very strong, still a head turner.

I hate to even consider selling it. I've wanted one ever since I found out what they were when I was a kid. Truly my dream car. But I no longer travel weekly for work and I need something to fit my wife and all 3 of my kids (at the same time).

Would I be out of line to be looking for $16-18k for the car in its current condition? What would you suggest is reasonable? I can add pics later if it helps.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Keyan88; 07-26-2018 at 12:31 PM.

My Cars
    1984 Euro 635
    Couple questions. I'm not sure what "body bushings" you are refering to. Could be subframe, trailing arm or even upper strut mounts. When you refer to the "timing" being done I need more info.

Pics would be great.

That's all I got.
    '84 Euro 635
    '88 M6 (Gone but not forgotten)

My Cars
    1988 BMW M6
    Sorry, Yea its the subframe bushings. Pressing hard on the accelerator or a rough gear shift will cause a loud thump from the back end. Determined that the bushings were almost complete gone and their was no support on the subframe. And by timing I meant the timing belt. I will add pics as soon as I get her cleaned up. Body is straight with almost no door dings. The paint is the big issue. The guy I bought it from had the top half repainted, but they rushed it and it came out poorly. And now over time the older paint on the lower half (below the pinstripe) is starting to lose its clearcoat.

Thanks!

My Cars
    1984 Euro 635
    The S38 motor has a timing chain. So, if the timng chain and all associated components have been replaced, that's a plus.

If I were looking for another M6 and it was black over tan or blue over tan, I'd give you $16K today.
    '84 Euro 635
    '88 M6 (Gone but not forgotten)

My Cars
    1988 BMW M6
    So I was told the chain and relevant gaskets were replaced by the previous owner. But I do not have a record of that in the binder he gave me. SLS was also replaced by previous owner, the car sits a little lower now. Performance Chip and exhaust also installed. Its louder than stock but not too loud. Dyno results say 267HP at the wheels.

How about Royal Blue over Grey interior? Interior is 6-7 out of 10 (conservative considering the age). Leather is in surprising great condition save for some scratches. The driver seat is starting to show wear and the rear speaker housings have seen better days from all the sun.

I promise I will get pics posted. I just need to get a detailing done first. Thanks for your input!

My Cars
    1985 535i, 1980 635CSi
    Your clunk is likely diff mount instead of subframe bushings!!

My Cars
    1988 BMW M6
    Ahh thanks. Def identified the subframe bushings last time I took it in - they are basically completely gone. But I'll have the diff mounts checked too.

My Cars
    '88 735i, '06 RSX
    I would have paid you 14k for it today.

My Cars
    m5s
    Pics . . . Royal on Grey tempting