Thread: Windshield washer not pumping, checked fuses - alarm went off when removed #49 fuse,

My Cars
    2001 740iL, 2001 325Ci

Windshield washer not pumping, checked fuses - alarm went off when removed #49 fuse,

HI all,

My 2001 325Ci was not spraying washer fluid on windshield when the 'wand/lever' was pulled back, (although, with headlights on, the headlight washers sprayed), so I thought the little pump was dead. I had an extra and put it in. Still won't spray. Went to check fuses, (#49, 53 and ...59 I think - whatever the legend in the glove box told me, I checked), and when I removed the 5A #49, the alarm went off. (Okay, found out #49 is part of central locking ...and hence alarm?). Put 49 back ...alarm eventually went off. Key button would not turn it off.

NOW MY WINDSHIELD WIPERS DONT WORK.

I started the car - runs fine, normal. Turned car off.

Disconnected battery, hoping to reset something. Alarm went off again, rather muted as it was only under the hood. When I reconnected NEG battery cable, alarm sound got appreciably louder. Key would not turn it off. After 5-10 seconds it stopped. Started car. No windshield wipers.

Someone please illuminate me on whatever "E46" faux pas I've done. thank you. This is my wife's car - and it's gonna rain tomorrow...... (Please help me).

Jay
    '01 325Ci Convertible, 5-speed
    '01 740iL, Stahlblau with beige interior & 18" M-Pars, GROM bluetooth
    '03 X5 3.0 six cyl, Gray on gray

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    have you thought of maybe clogged nozzle jets?
    Clean with needle/pin.

Clogged, crimped or disconnected hoses?
    Check for breaks in all washer fluid hoses.

Contaminated fluid reservoir?
    Remove,flush replace.

Btw, recheck fuses.

My Cars
    2001 740iL, 2001 325Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    have you thought of maybe clogged nozzle jets?
    Clean with needle/pin.

Clogged, crimped or disconnected hoses?
    Check for breaks in all washer fluid hoses.

Contaminated fluid reservoir?
    Remove,flush replace.

Btw, recheck fuses.
    Thanks Mikyzz4. I'd be shocked if it were the fluid lines or nozzles. Not a drop coming from them, both. I have to check with wifey but pretty sure they worked okay a week ago.

Something funky is up with the central locking, etc., in my humble opinion. I've read many posts about this. Just don't understand why, when the windshield wipers were working fine, then when I "checked the fuses - and inadvertently set them off when I removed #49, that NOW they no longer work when I put 49 back. ???

I may just disconnect the battery overnight and hope the issue clears. But I am not confident. Will recheck fuses in the morning before I reconnect battery. Thanks

Jay

My Cars
    2001 740iL, 2001 325Ci
    Soooo. I went to the junkyard and got a GM 5 out of an 01 325 (4 door sedan) and ...at least my windshield wipers work now, as do the windows. Windshield washers (both) now do not work. However, both are getting 12v when you actuate the wiper arm on the steering column. I guess both pumps could be duds. I brought one home from the junk yard, and it doesn't work either. Very strange. I tested continuity on all 3 and it's a good/closed circuit. I assume its supposed to be? Also, I can blow through the inlet valve and it freely comes out the outlet. There's a little resistence when I do the reverse.

But, the bigger issue is the central locking system doesn't work. I've had an ongoing issue where the car is stuck in valet mode. My key buttons worked up until this recent issue with the GM 5, but, now they don't. (I have 2 keys and both do not lock/unlock the car).

Man, I love these BMWs, when they're right. But when they ain't ...man it can be complex sometimes. I brought how the glove box latch/handle off that other car and am thinking of trying to swap over the electronics from my convertible glovebox handle to that one. But I was having a lot of trouble even opening my 'original' latch... tightened the screws and everything but that made no difference.

If anyone knows the hole I'm down in, please feel free to throw in a rope. Thanks!!!

Jay

My Cars
    2001 740iL, 2001 325Ci
    Oh, and I did disconnect the hose from the pump (which feeds the windshield) and also disconnected the other end and blew through it. It seemed to flow well. I even had someone actuate the washer arm while I held the fluid tank in my hands, with the hose disconnected, and the pump didn't pump at all. (am I correct in assuming that fluid should just ...piss out of the pump if it's not pumping --- cause that's what mine does).

My Cars
    2000 E46 328i
    Did you put the original GM back in? That may fix your key issue. Since swapping the GM did not fix your original issue, I'd keep the original one as it stores quite a bit of configuration.

What happens when you apply 12V to the pump directly? Does that make it work? If not; I guess you've been unlucky enough to get a few dead pumps..

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Go to www.bmwgm5.com. The website is a trove of info on the GM5. Scott also repairs GM5 modules. Lastly, go to E46Fanatics and repost your issues there. Scott (as scottjon) will respond. Make sure you enter “GM5” in the thread title.

My Cars
    2001 740iL, 2001 325Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Raddee View Post
    Did you put the original GM back in? That may fix your key issue. Since swapping the GM did not fix your original issue, I'd keep the original one as it stores quite a bit of configuration.

What happens when you apply 12V to the pump directly? Does that make it work? If not; I guess you've been unlucky enough to get a few dead pumps..
    Not sure if I wasn't clear, but, putting in the "new" GM did fix the windshield wipers, windows, etc. I believe I have dead pumps as both are getting 12V when I hit the washer lever. Not sure why I'd put the original one back. But, I may look to get the original one fixed as I still have this annoying ongoing issue with the car being stuck in 'valet mode'. Interesting now (and it may be related to this GM5 module) that my key is not locking/unlocking the car.... Very strange stuff.

My Cars
    '73 E9, '94 E34, '02 E46
    if reinstalling the old GM got the washer pump working, your pumps are good.

If not: access the pump and hot wire direct to positive and ground. If they work then, pumps are good. If not, use your test light or multimeter to see if the pumps get power using the wiper stalk or switch. If they don't get power, you have a potentially complex matter that we haven't enough data to decide about. Can't advise about the GM, myself.

Old days (70s) BMW pumps rusted up very frequently and I took many apart and with a little wet sandpaper they were good as new, until they rusted up again. I don't think they can be taken apart nowadays, but haven't tried.
    Charlie

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to add value to these threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same or similar problem stands on your shoulders.

My Cars
    2001 740iL, 2001 325Ci
    Bad pumps!!! GM5 may not be perfect, but, working now. Bought another on ebay for back up. Now just need to swap out headlight sprayer nozzles.