Thread: What cheap low effort repairs can I do on my e46?

My Cars
    2004 325xi Wagon

What cheap low effort repairs can I do on my e46?

It seems to me the prior owner was running the car to the ground. I paid $1k exact for the car.

So far I've (2004 325xi Wagon);

-Replaced radiator and upper hose (lower is 11 months old and looks fine)
    -New tires, prior was below legal trim.
    -new Rear shocks and Springs.
    -New fuses, cigarette lighter now works!

Looking to do:
    -Oil and Filter Change at an Independent Mechanic next week
    -Ambient Air Sensor is out..... not sure on this.
    -AC leak so the system isn't holding pressure, considering some kind of filler type can and see if that works.... AC is useless to me 9 months of the year and I won't need it in 5 weeks max. Not interested in major repairs/time on this.
    -Wipers, (Front is Now Done, will take care of rear wiper when I have time later).
    -Floormats!!!!!!!!! Major need just have to find them for sale. Local BMW does not carry and not for sale at any of the local auto parts stores! Could use help!
    -Clean the interior, it just makes me angry to think about the prior owner.....
    -Hood Foam Pad, current is brittle and falling apart... this is a future repair in a month or two.
    -Windshield Cowl, future when I have time.
    -The front end plastic cover on the bottom seems to have scraped on cement, I assume this is when the ambient air sensor was lost. Will have to replace at some point, not sure on cost or availability.... so great! (Leaning towards doing so now......).

-Considering in regards to difficulty (could use advice on)
    --> replacing various fluids.... I can use a turkey baster but I can't flush anything.
    -cabin air filter (doesnt seem too bad?)
    -any general low maintenance engine work a novice could do?
    Last edited by Durlaker; 07-26-2018 at 02:21 PM.

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Please do not edit your posts until your message count gets larger. The forum software 'sees' edited posts from new members/low message counts as a questionable action and removes the message for moderator review.

The fix? Reply with whatever you want to add or change. Thanks.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by Durlaker View Post
    It seems to me the prior owner was running the car to the ground. I paid $1k exact for the car.

So far I've (2004 325xi Wagon);

-Replaced radiator and upper hose (lower is 11 months old and looks fine)
    -New tires, prior was below legal trim.
    -new Rear shocks and Springs.
    -New fuses, cigarette lighter now works!

Looking to do:
    -Oil and Filter Change at an Independent Mechanic next week
    -Ambient Air Sensor is out..... not sure on this.
    -AC leak so the system isn't holding pressure, considering some kind of filler type can and see if that works.... AC is useless to me 9 months of the year and I won't need it in 5 weeks max. Not interested in major repairs/time on this.
    -Wipers, (Front is Now Done, will take care of rear wiper when I have time later).
    -Floormats!!!!!!!!! Major need just have to find them for sale. Local BMW does not carry and not for sale at any of the local auto parts stores! Could use help!
    -Clean the interior, it just makes me angry to think about the prior owner.....
    -Hood Foam Pad, current is brittle and falling apart... this is a future repair in a month or two.
    -Windshield Cowl, future when I have time.
    -The front end plastic cover on the bottom seems to have scraped on cement, I assume this is when the ambient air sensor was lost. Will have to replace at some point, not sure on cost or availability.... so great! (Leaning towards doing so now......).

-Considering in regards to difficulty (could use advice on)
    --> replacing various fluids.... I can use a turkey baster but I can't flush anything.
    -cabin air filter (doesnt seem too bad?)
    -any general low maintenance engine work a novice could do?

Congrats on the new ride! Take a look at the link below to our site's DIY tech articles on the E46 platform. If you have any additional questions, feel free to post a Comment just below the article and one of our techs will get back to you with specifics. Hope this helps you a bit and best of luck!

https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...h_main_e46.htm
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    '94 318ic, '00 323it
    Check if your oil filter housing gasket is leaking. If so, that is a pretty easy DIY.

If your rear end is a bit squirrely, consider replacing your rear trailing arm bushings. You could do it without the special tool if you use polyurethane bushings.
    Alpine 318ic FTMFW!

My Cars
    325e 535i M5 325iT 330i
    Cooling system hoses are pretty easy to change and are cheap insurance. Both air intake boots, unless you have proof they've been changed. So many problems with performance and driveability can be traced back to cracks in the boots. From there, things get less easy and more expensive. Cooling system failure in one of these cars can do massive amounts of damage in a very short period of time. I always recommend to noobs in the E46 fraternity that they basically replace the cooling system from the firewall forward - hoses, water pump, thermostat and housing, temperature and coolant level sensors, belts, idler pulleys, header tank, radiator, and especially the two plastic water pipes up underneath the intake manifold. Not an easy job but not terribly expensive either (about $800 in parts and a day's work for a competent DIY mechanic), but the peace of mind is more than worth it.

My Cars
    '73 E9, '94 E34, '02 E46
    My thorts, having bought an absolutely filthy but running 2002 325xi about a year ago... though you haven't stated your mechanical aptitude or familiarity with the car. The list is all DIY, so I assume you're not thus inclined. My responses are all based on my own experiences, and that you may have to pay $120 per hour for professional service. Any you shouldn't get any other kind!

-Oil and Filter Change. DIY

-Ambient Air Sensor. DIY
    -AC leak so the system isn't holding pressure. this is the only job I'd take to a professional, and probably the most expensive one. Many AC shops, without even seeing the car, will estimate a grand or more, though a recharge should be only a hundred.
    -Wipers. DIY
    -Floormats. DIY
    -Clean the interior. DIY
    -Hood Foam Pad. DIY
    -Windshield Cowl. DIY
    -The front end plastic cover on the bottom seems to have scraped on cement. NO, cement is a fine gray powder. Concrete is an off-white solid. It's up to you whether to keep the lower cover or not. The downside is that if you're working on the engine and drop something, chances are it won't fall to the floor and you'll have to remove/replace the cover (DAMHIK). OTOH it may keep the engine a little cleaner, keep stuff from getting in the alternator, whatever. I kept mine.

--> replacing various fluids. Most are not difficult to work on. Make sure the fill plug is loosened before you remove the drain plug.
    -cabin air filter. Easy to access, take it out and see if it deserves replacement.
    Last edited by Honolulu; 07-29-2018 at 04:28 AM.
    Charlie

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to add value to these threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same or similar problem stands on your shoulders.

My Cars
    2004 325xi Wagon
    Thanks, I can do a few things others I'm too lazy for (oil change, I'll pay an extra $20 to have someone else do it). Also, having never owned a BMW before I'd like to know if I'm in for a surprise.. for example replacing the transmission fluid on my 02 Civic years ago only involved a Turkey Baster and the fluid... this car, I guess I'll find out. Mechanically... I'm a novice is how I'd rank myself. Mostly I watch a YouTube video and try to replicate it.
    Appreciate the advice on the fluids, I'll look into the brake and transmission then work my way down from there.

Things I will do eventually, front windshield cowl, lower plastic cover replacement, I've already replaced the front windshield wipers, rear when I find out the size and have some time to run out to Autozone,
    interior whenever I'm done moving things around, so in 2 weeks.
    Floormats... I might buy the ones Pelican Parts has.

I'll probably replace the cabin air filter whenever I do the cowl...

Having an issue locating the ambient air sensor..... I have an idea of where it should be but..... yeah, haven't been able to find whatever remains of it. It currently reads 122 so I assume the impact on the AC is minimal. In regards to the AC I've take a low side reading and it was low and now it seems high.... considering I haven't recharged it... I have no idea what the issue is...

When I get the oil change tommorow I'm going to ask the mechanic to take a low and high side reading. The condenser seems okay (seems to be running and the air feels cold) and the fans will go at full speed if I turn the heater on. Honestly, not sure... I'm hoping my gauge is trash and it's a leak or the ambient air sensor being out is playing havoc on it.

I'm moving out of my apartment and into a new place in 10 days (college) so I can't receive anything and I have a few things to move. Not to mention income and having to work on things gradually (spread the financial burden out).

Also, I'll look into the air intake boots. Seems simple enough

Btw, I can't afford the $600 Dynavin system. Does anyone know of a simpler way to play music from a cellphone/ipod in the speaker system?

My Cars
    1994 318is
    The aux input cable will allow you to use your phone or iPod with the stereo. It is inexpensive, easy to install, and sounds great.
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/82110149389/

My Cars
    2004 325xi Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by jfrantz View Post
    The aux input cable will allow you to use your phone or iPod with the stereo. It is inexpensive, easy to install, and sounds great.
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/82110149389/

Yes! Thanks man, if I had to listen to the local rock station indefinitely...... I'd probably have upped my cellphone data and listened to music through my headphones while driving.

My Cars
    2004 325xi Wagon
    Also, found the ambient sensor. Prior owner relocated it to near the front bumper with some zip ties. Looks like just the sensor is gone.

Plus I get a new Mann Air Filter tommorow!

My Cars
    2004 325xi Wagon
    I just wanna add to my AC problem and how I addressed it.

Well, I replaced the airfilter and cleaned the little bay out.... which was filthy and packed.

Then I put the new filter in.... now the AC works no problem.

Also, I replaced the ambient air sensor and now I have no lights on my dash! A good feeling as any :-)