Thread: 2010 X3 E83 Headlight Lens replacement

My Cars
    2010 BMW X3 3.0i xDrive

2010 X3 E83 Headlight Lens replacement

Hi, I was hoping to get some help with replacing the headlight lens on my 2010 X3. I got into a little fender bender and got my headlight cracked and now I have a hole in my headlight. I have the Xenon adaptive headlights and to replace one it would cost an arm and a leg. I found few places that sell the headlight lens (plastic housing) for a small fraction of the total headlight cost and was wondering if any one could help me how to replace the headlight lens. I was wondering if they are two piece or if they are glued and how difficult is it to do?

Thanks

My Cars
    M3 E36, 2007 X3
    If it helps any I am in the same boat. Have a 2007 x3 with a golf ball size hole from hitting a deer. I know there are some videos on u tube about fixing but you have to seal it back up good and removal is not super easy. Where did you get the lens if I may ask.

My Cars
    E83 LCI 3.0si
    A 200 lb. deer took out my entire headlight, bixenon adaptive. He took out the passenger side bumper cover too, broke the fog light, and the line to the headlight washer. He didn't cause any other damage, though. The fender and hood were fine. Built strong! I drove home like nothing happened.

If it is any consolation, they used to cost upwards of $750, now they are shipped for $400 and change. Still an arm, but at least not a leg. Look on eBay, shipped from EU (Latvia I believe). They are OEM.

The biggest problem you will find if you replace is that one is gem-like and gorgeous, and the other shows it's age. Maybe it's my OCD.

My Cars
    M3 E36, 2007 X3
    Thanks for the reply.
    m3x3x5

My Cars
    2007 BMW X3 3.0si
    Hey all, I did this project not too long ago. Like you, my 07 X3 headlight lens cracked from an accident and instead of changing the whole unit assembly, bi xenon adaptive as well, I bought the lens and replaced it and it is going strong. There is no moisture in there.

The process of removing the lens is to take out the headlight assembly.
    Remove all bulbs in the headlight assembly.
    Use a heat gun to heat up and melt the seal around the lens where it attaches to the main unit. BE CAREFUL not to leave heat too long on the unit for risk of melting plastic, it is like a balancing game.
    Use a corner and slowly pry off the lens from the main unit. Re applying heat WILL be necessary. Take your time and stop, reheat, pull apart slowly, stop, reheat, pull apart slowly. You will eventually get there.
    Once that is done, you will see the left over seal. Heat it up and clean as much of it as possible, you will not get it all but removing at least half will suffice.
    Use new rubber butyl sealant (amazon) and place it around that groove where the old sealant was.
    Before installing new lens on the unit, I heated up the new sealant just a bit to get it soft and I pressed the new lens into it.
    Let it sit overnight and you will be good.

I hope that helps. Sorry I do not have pictures, I did this over a few months ago.