Thread: Interior Cleaning

My Cars
    2007 328i E92

Interior Cleaning

Just purchased my first E46, and like so many other older BMWs, upon cleaning the vinyl the result is that the vinyl feels... rubbery/sticky. I'm loath to slather on some type of "protectant" (which would likely result in the same stuff I just cleaned off), but is there a product that makes cleaned vinyl feel clean and dry to the touch without harming it?

My Cars
    2001 525it
    I discovered the Afro brush I found is a good scrubber for getting in the cracks. I found the brush at cvs hair care section. I got some cleaners from auto geek. I don't use cleaners on the turn signal stalks just warm soapy water and a rag. I don't want the markings to rub off.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    Please don't spray any type of cleaner on your headliner...or the front windshield pillars, also they have the headliner fabric. End result will be that the headliner fabric will fail ability to hold to the molded headliner substrate. Don't try to clean the headliner with sprayed on cleaners including 'Super Clean' Fantastick, Simple Green.....big fail if you do!
    Last edited by Eaglesail; 07-24-2018 at 02:16 PM.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    Filmy...BMW cars come either with real leather (option) or a leather looking plastic-vinyl for seat covers ( vinyl is more often than not) Mercedes Benz, to dequinguesh plastic from leather for seats calls their vinyl seat coverings "MB TEX" ....BMW doesn't distinguish as such. Leather is a whole other matter for care. Vinyl..not so much. Rinse with water if it stays sticky after cleaning.

My Cars
    2007 328i E92
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglesail View Post
    Please don't spray any type of cleaner on your headliner...or the front windshield pillars, also they have the headliner fabric. End result will be that the headliner fabric will fail ability to hold to the molded headliner substrate. Don't try to clean the headliner with sprayed on cleaners including 'Super Clean' Fantastick, Simple Green.....big fail if you do!
    No, not the fabric, just the vinyl. Besides, I already have to re-cover the A&B pillars.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    I use 'Super Clean' diluted. 60-40...40 being water. More than likely, previous owner, or owners, sprayed a cleaner on the pillars...including Windex also to clean the inside windshield. Unfortunately, factory glues used to fasten the fabric to headliner and pillars breakdown the glues...yes even Windex!

My Cars
    2007 328i E92
    Wait... Guys, I'm not asking about the leather (seats) nor the fabric on the headliner or pillars. I'm asking specifically about the vinyl on the door panels after cleaning, and if anyone has been successful with any product(s) that "protect" the now-raw vinyl (because it feels sticky when freshly cleaned) and make it feel less sticky. Maybe it's just giving it some time to bake a little bit in the heat and grow itself (the vinyl) a new outer skin.

BTW, purple cleaner works pretty well, but I've also had success with a mixture of Woolite and distilled water, 1:5 ratio - and a stiff but gentle brush and towels.

My Cars
    1994 318is
    I use Griot's Interior Cleaner then 303 Aerospace Protectant on all the vinyl bits, including the door cards. Both are good products.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    I'm not familiar with the "sticky" aftermath from a cleaning since the 84 Benz, now two decades ago. German and Swedish made cars..generally from this period..used similar european supplied plastic products..be it MB, BMW, Audi-VW, and also including Swedish Volvo...all in general....... DOOR PANELS of vinyl...are more UV subjective for deterioration..but not from cleaners. Mercedes car built since the early 1970's that has been exposed, or also earlier the VW, and the plastics used, more gummy they become upon time-exposure. My 1984 MB 300 D sedan, all interior plastics were distorted in shape, elasticity and color, all subjected to extreme high heat (windows closed) summertime exposure. I haven't seen this with BMW cars..even as old as 20 years...You live in California, and with very high ultraviolet exposures. Have you ever taken a temperature of the interior spaces at say 3pm...assuming it has sat in the baking sun all the day while you were at work??.......day after day.....year after year........Also do smell when you open the drivers door the plastic aromas... as if when the car rolled off the assembly line...(call it 'new car smell' )
    Last edited by Eaglesail; 07-25-2018 at 01:22 PM.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    Yes.....but they do NOT correct the ultraviolet deterioration already done. Band-aids for damage done.............(park your BMW in a shaded place or garage) has an industry alive for hiding SUN damage. Maguires, the wax people, have a better mouse-trap...for just the issue...I've used it on my black plastic bumper inserts...works great for a half dozen rain events...but don't spill gasoline on it!