RM European Auto Parts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Misc Ramblings

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD

Wink Misc Ramblings

Yugos don't need oil. They're all dead.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    '98 540i '01 540i 13 E70
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    Yugos don't need oil. They're all dead.
    LMAO!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    True story! I was in San Diego on business for the Navy (I was on active duty at the time). Rented a car-aYugo. I beat the crap out of it to the point the engine was making some weird noises.

Question: what 2 things go 70mph down a dirt road?
    Answer: a 4x4 and a rental car!

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Oh boy, could I contribute to a rent a car thread

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    True story! I was in San Diego on business for the Navy (I was on active duty at the time). Rented a car-aYugo. I beat the crap out of it to the point the engine was making some weird noises.

Question: what 2 things go 70mph down a dirt road?
    Answer: a 4x4 and a rental car!
    Well, also pretty much every car I've ever owned.

Now....let's try adding the picture which wouldn't attach this morning....by the way -- our Moderator seems to have quickly corrected the fact that pictures wouldn't attach...AND he's the one who took this picture, many years ago ! Yes, this is where "bmwdirtracer" came from....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 08-12-2018 at 01:40 PM.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Wow....I didn't even know I was upside down ! No wonder I was dizzy !

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Thats terrible on several fronts. LOL.

Dig into the photo archive I gave you. A scaled down copy of the original is there.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I'm so terribly sorry, my friend. Yes, I have the CD....and I don't have a clue how to move a picture from that to a place I can deal with. I'm just a computer dumb ass; I'm sorry.

You know that I actually just took a phone picture of the framed picture on my wall, right? Then I downsized it? Yes, I'm a dummy.
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 08-12-2018 at 02:12 PM.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Yeah Chris, you do need to apply yourself. Haha.

So I dug up this... not the best prep, but an alternative pic of that same (I think) WINNER. May 12, 2002. High end digital of the day. LOL

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    What a great shot!

was this rallycross?
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    m5s
    Wow....I didn't even know I was upside down ! No wonder I was dizzy !
    Nah, Congressman Hank Johnson was correct about Guam tipping over because of a few thousand Marines, he just didnt know HOW CORRECT HE REALLY WAS

edit man that poor 5er
    Last edited by de Witt; 08-12-2018 at 03:15 PM.

My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowpuck View Post
    What a great shot!

was this rallycross?
    Demo Derby. Ooops, I mean they called it short track I believe. Chris dominated the period of times I was visited. The track is still in use under new management. There's sprint cars out there kicking up the dirt.

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    Oh cool! I’ve been to some short/circle track stuff. Highly entertaining!
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowpuck View Post
    Oh cool! I’ve been to some short/circle track stuff. Highly entertaining!
    Although I'm from Greater Appalachia (St Lou), I never had visited a dirt track until I met Chris. One demo derby/figure eight which seemed a bit less productive than the circle approach.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    YOWSUH !

Damn ! That is a fine photograph! (Those are actual clumps of mud, folks !!!

And I really have to say that the guy who's absolutely full lock sideways with one hand out the window holding the checkered flag ain't bad either.....

So how did we get here?....oh, 70 mph on a dirt road....yep.

Oh....yes, the Maui Circle track was, um, a bit rough. The 500 hp Camaro and Cutlass drivers with foot wide tires and super stiff suspension didn't like the old school inline 6, four-door family sedan with rally tires driving by them on the inside. I still have the Championship trophy, by the way....
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 08-12-2018 at 04:30 PM.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Quote Originally Posted by de Witt View Post
    Nah, Congressman Hank Johnson was correct about Guam tipping over because of a few thousand Marines, he just didnt know HOW CORRECT HE REALLY WAS

edit man that poor 5er

deWitt, my wonderful friend ! I'm so glad to see you, at this forum.
    Scott, Paul's a mod at M5Board . Paul...Scott.

That E28 in the picture was an officially totalled 533i. It transferred spirit , engine, gearbox, and a multitude of parts to the autox car in my avatar. That entity is still alive, and for again for sale, in Washington state. I wish I could own it again !

I'd not ever heard of Hank Johnson, so I Googled that....it said "Hank Johnson, Guam", so I clicked on that. OH, DEAR GOD.

I saw where someone had suggested that we have a mandatory I.Q. test for Presidential candidates. Can we maybe have one for congressmen too?

"Good day, Congressman, How, high are you today?"

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    m5s
    deWitt, my wonderful friend ! I'm so glad to see you, at this forum.
    Scott, Paul's a mod at M5Board . Paul...Scott.

That E28 in the picture was an officially totalled 533i. It transferred spirit , engine, gearbox, and a multitude of parts to the autox car in my avatar. That entity is still alive, and for again for sale, in Washington state. I wish I could own it again !

I'd not ever heard of Hank Johnson, so I Googled that....it said "Hank Johnson, Guam", so I clicked on that. OH, DEAR GOD.

I saw where someone had suggested that we have a mandatory I.Q. test for Presidential candidates. Can we maybe have one for congressmen too?

Its been a while Chris. As for the E28, no better way to go out than in a massive blaze of glory, particularly if you are passing over powered camaros etc.

One could also ask for IQ tests for voters, but now that felons are obtaining voting privileges in certain areas . . . there is something futile about voting controls. It would probably be best to have a control for hypocrisy and truth telling, but what do I know about politics.

BTW, you need to post up pics of that rescused macau E34 M5 on m5board brah

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I think that your choice of oils is absolutely fine and wonderful for the magnificent S38.... It's a great, tried and tested and highly respected full synthetic oil....and the car and owner are happy with it. Don't switch.

As for the Macau Blue gorgeous E34 EURO '89...I have asked Tom for permission to fully cover the work I'm doing, on his thread. He richly deserves the joy of going beyond the painful 4 year waiting. He's a truly great guy....and....wait....my cell just beeped....

Tom has just given me permission to reawaken his thread, and cover his build.

Um, to the OP, and the other very fine people on this thread, I apologize....we have digressed very thoroughly, but with only the very best intent, and after thoroughly answering the questions, AND with continued respect to the original question. Thank you for your patience.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    01 325xi sedan
    Love the pic Chris, and the idea for IQ testing our political "leaders."

Maybe not as high as Hunter S. Thompson, but probably a lot less qualified to make important decisions.

edit: We got a call this evening and listened to the NC Senate "town hall"... A lot of talk to little effect...

I wonder how high FCPeuro's CEO was when they decided you could ship back used fluid...? I thought I was high when I first read that, and although it's a possibility, I know I wasn't THAT high. I agree, great company!
    Last edited by mry82; 08-21-2018 at 10:09 PM. Reason: addition
    H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein B8s, and poly bushings (Thanks Chris!); Valeo SMF & non-SA Clutch, CDV delete, and E60 Shifter w/ ZHP knob; Beisan System VANOS Seals...
    Mtech-II Front Bumper (PO got bumped in parking lot!); Eagle Eye LED Tail Lights... Lots of PM!!!

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Hi Glenn, and good to see you here tonight. My bumper sticker isn't locally popular, but pick-up trucks can't keep up with the /m5, so what the hell.

DeWitt, I'm sorry if I caused you angst at the Board tonight. Anri just seriously pissed me off....again! I tried to keep my comments "general", but he's just unbearably arrogant. (Oh, what I sell and do is the best, but all the other people suck, including FF and MM?)

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    m5s
    Quote Originally Posted by mry82 View Post
    Love the pic Chris, and the idea for IQ testing our political "leaders."

Maybe not as high as Hunter S. Thompson, but probably a lot less qualified to make important decisions.

edit: We got a call this evening and listened to the NC Senate "town hall"... A lot of talk to little effect...

I wonder how high FCPeuro's CEO was when they decided you could ship back used fluid...? I thought I was high when I first read that, and although it's a possibility, I know I wasn't THAT high. I agree, great company!
    Voting is a right, but along with every right comes responsibility which both the fringe right and left have forgotten. Even so, a high IQ doesnt make one benevolent or altruistic or "qualified," its bizarre that people think this way. Or that if things were run their way, they would get it right . . . not good.

My Cars
    m5s
    Hi Glenn, and good to see you here tonight. My bumper sticker isn't locally popular, but pick-up trucks can't keep up with the /m5, so what the hell.

DeWitt, I'm sorry if I caused you angst at the Board tonight. Anri just seriously pissed me off....again! I tried to keep my comments "general", but he's just unbearably arrogant. (Oh, what I sell and do is the best, but all the other people suck, including FF and MM?)

I dont moderate that way, its best if people talk things out. I only get involved if there is harassment, scamming or stuff of that nature. I do agree with Anri that increasing compression on the S38 is a no-go unless you go to standalone with knock.

Why the B38 head . . . dunno that certainly is not typical but I think the quality of his work looks good. But is the engineering any good? That is up in the air IMHO, a haltech ecu with knock might be the best answer.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Now the Haltech with knock sensors sounds like a very good approach. Have you any leads for the best source? Tom was planning a WAR chip, but I've not heard good things about them, and kind of doubt whether this would even allow for knock sensors.

EDIT: I've Googled it, found the website, dealer list, etc. Still, setting it up on an S38 might be difficult. Know anyone who's done that? (Please don't say Anri)
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 08-22-2018 at 06:19 AM.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Ha! Love that shot, beat it like a rented mule! I wondered about your handle.
    Edit: nicest progression of an "oil thread" I've seen

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I did notice, deWitt, that VAC Motorsports offers 2 manufacturer's pistons for the S38 - CP Carillo and JE Pistons. Both of these show 11 to 1 as being for street engines, pump gas. I know that Anri knows his stuff, but I've had an issue with his arrogance every time we've interacted.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast