Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can E39 door lock actuators be repaired?

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports

Can E39 door lock actuators be repaired?

I just replaced both rear door lock actuators on my 2003 540i6. They appeared to be origonal so a 15 year life isn't all that bad. However, I didn't see anything wrong with them. They were clean and nothing appeared broken. I'm thinking I can disassemble them, clean and re grease them and use them as spares.
    I do not believe in a risk free society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existence. Nick Ienatsch

The law does NOT determine "right" from "wrong". They are unrelated.

If you put cheap parts on your car, you will soon have a cheap parts car.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Post some pics when you take them apart. Mine are 18 yrs old, never had any of them out.
    Never have had to replace a window regulator either....knock on wood.

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports
    Will do...
    They weren't broken, just getting really slow.
    I do not believe in a risk free society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existence. Nick Ienatsch

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Then a clean and lube could be all they need.

My Cars
    '99 528i/5, '01 Boobaru
    Quote Originally Posted by Santaclaus4 View Post
    I just replaced both rear door lock actuators on my 2003 540i6. They appeared to be origonal so a 15 year life isn't all that bad. However, I didn't see anything wrong with them. They were clean and nothing appeared broken. I'm thinking I can disassemble them, clean and re grease them and use them as spares.
    Prying off the outer casing is about the only slightly difficult step as you don't want to crack it. The sliding and rotating gear parts inside are entirely plastic (probably delrin). The only thing that you might be able to replace is the small motor, which resembled the type used in certain slot cars, but the two challenges with that are finding motors that have the same polarity (don't work in reverse of how the motors in these units work) and that come with the small pinion gear attached ... You might be able to pull the original pinion gear off the shaft but, if my memory isn't deceiving me, it's brass and may not fit or stay attached to another shaft solely with an interference fit.

I replaced my right rear door actuator not so long ago with a cheap aftermarket unit. So far, it is working at least as well as all the rest. The actuators in the BMW all make a buzzy zippy noise in operation. I can hardly hear the ones in my old Subaru.

I suspect the reason they fail is that the tolerances in the plastic gearing simply get too loose after more than a dozen years.
    Last edited by pleiades; 07-22-2018 at 09:26 AM.

My Cars
    E46 E39
    As cheap as the parts are, rebuilding them does not make economic sense.

Getting the parts and pieces to replace the worn out parts within (if available at all) will probably cost as much as a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '99 528i/5, '01 Boobaru
    I agree. Lubing the old ones with a compatible lubricant to keep them around as spares is about the best you might hope for, but with functional aftermarket units going around $18, I don't think I'd even want to put an old one back in my car.

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports
    With a lifespan of 15 ish years, it's probably a waste of time and storage space to keep the old actuators around. It was more about the satisfaction of fixing them up and just plain old gee-whiz. Never the less, I'll take one apart and photograph it for forum and personal curiosity.

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports
    I finally took apart one of the old door actuators. I took pictures that I'll post a little later.
    I can't find anything wrong with it at all. The gears moved smoothly and still had lube on them. The electric motor felt smooth.
    The door locks must get slow due to worn or dirty contacts/brushes in the motors. I didn't disassemble the electric motor itself.

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports
    20180730_040217.jpg20180730_040713-1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

This is what the actuators look like. I disassembled it a little further but can't upload the picture at the moment. I have more photos but I can't upload them at the moment.

My Cars
    00 528i, 01 540i
    I have two of these that i replaced too. I can't find anything wrong with the mechanisms either. There was a thread where someone actually replaced the motor. My guess is that the brushes inside have worn out and not making good contacts anymore for the motor. His problem the motor was not getting good contact and he redid the solder and it worked. Mabuchi FC-280PC-22125 is the motor, but ours has spline shaft these motors are just plain shaft.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Thanks for the pics.
    How long do you think an $18 aftermarket actuated will last??

My Cars
    '96 540i S/C
    I've tried. Took one appart, lubricated and such. Worked for 2-3 weeks. Turned out all the plastic gears was very slightly worn, and the housing flexed - so had to buy a new one. Even the off brand cheap china cones is ok, if you don't mind their noise...
    [E39 540i] - with S/C ESS kit (plus some upgrades)
    [E34 540iA] - Gone

My Cars
    5series M62B44
    I have a cheap ebay actuator in mine (Factory actuator lost a plastic tooth), it's locked/unlocked a couple hundred times so far. Apart from being slightly louder than what was from factory it works just great.

Best thing I ever did was clean and lubricate all the locking/latch mechanisms driver door opens with a finger and sometimes I doubt if I shut it because it pops open at the touch of the handle now.

Just need to do the other 3 doors... that's a job for future me

Cheers
    Mat
    Last edited by HoZy; 08-05-2018 at 03:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by hakhawk
    I know first hand that owning a bmw isnt what made hozy the way he is, its just his charm
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder
    HoZY is good guy and has proven it many times by being a longtime participant in this community.

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports
    I just tried to upload the remaining disassembly pictures but I get a message that says something like I've reached my forum limit. Something like that anyway.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by Santaclaus4 View Post
    I just tried to upload the remaining disassembly pictures but I get a message that says something like I've reached my forum limit. Something like that anyway.
    Were you trying to upload more than 5 pics in your original post? 5 is the limit unless you do it in a different post.
    Nate PM'ed me last week with the same message.

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Were you trying to upload more than 5 pics in your original post? 5 is the limit unless you do it in a different post.
    Nate PM'ed me last week with the same message.
    I uploaded 5 pictures at the top of this thread, then I was able to upload 2 more. Now I can't upload anymore, even way down here.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Try over on the TEST forum to see if you can post a few there just to see if it's a forum problem or a SC4 problem.

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Try over on the TEST forum to see if you can post a few there just to see if it's a forum problem or a SC4 problem.
    Just tried to upload on the test forum and got the same message: file size exceeds forum quota by (this many) KB.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Don't know what your file size is? I usually resize the pics to around 960 X 800. The actual JPG file is around 350KB.
    You using a PC or Apple?

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    I can usually upload anything, including unedited, non-compressed iPhone photos and the website automatically downscales the images. However, when I tried uploading from my Canon t3i recently, I got a forum quota exceeded error. I did not attempt to resize them; I will try that next.
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)
    Titanium Silver/Black Nappa Full 07-18-2001 E39 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 198,000mi+. Increasing daily. Engine rebuild thread.
    (eŌō\ (||||)º(||||) / ōŌe)
    Alpineweiss III/Black Merino Full 03-26-2007 E60 M5 Manual (CX08265). 157,000+. Dead starter -_-

RIP, Seabiscuit. Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
    Take 2 "Otto" - Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
    Take 3 "Manuel" - Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi. I regret that. Build Log
    Reliable P.O.S. - Green/gray 1995 Camry V6 LE. 270k mi. Sold for space.

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    Just to add to the actuator info here. I recently replaced the one in my right front door and disassembled the old one for kicks. Below is just my observations and notes for what it’s worth.

The actuator plug pin definitions, as deduced from the X1131 pinout.
    https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e39-530i-lim/ZZYmw2b
    pin 1: ground to lock
    pin 2: no connect
    pin 3: 12V supply
    pin 4: ground to unlock

actuator schematic
    https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...r-door/uQr4rAu

- When directly powered on the bench, the defective actuator worked, but the motor ran slower than the fully installed actuators on the car. And this is running unconnected, with no load.
    - Resistance across the electric motor was about 6.4 ohms.
    - Lubricants on the screw shaft (yellowish grease) and gears (white grease) was still pliable and doing it’s job. Turning the large gear by hand revealed no binding in the gears, screw shaft, etc.
    - The grey plastic lever that rides on the screw shaft which does the locking/unlocking had a lot of side-to-side play, causing it to not always activate the micro switch. This is likely what caused mine to ultimately fail.
    - There is a discoloration on the plastic area between the motor’s electrical terminals and right under a passive component (capacitor?) connected across said terminals which suggests overheating at some point.
    - The replacement actuator was an OE VDO brand which was not cheap.
    - The original actuator had a revision code of 406.207/5/1 and date code of 2002.
    - The OE replacement actuator had a revision code of 406.207/5/2 and date code of 06.03.2017.
    - Although the screw shaft is about 2” long, the full travel for lock actuating is less than 0.5”.
    Last edited by balidawg; 12-24-2019 at 07:55 PM.

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    More photos...
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports
    I have noticed something vaguely interesting. On both of my cars, it's the rear door actuators that failed, the front passenger door actuator is a little slow but still works and the drivers door is still original on both cars and the locks snap up and down like normal and at the same speed as the new rear actuators. I wonder if it's related to the rear doors not opening and closing as much as the front doors. The drivers door is the one that gets both locked/unlocked every time and open/closed every time.
    Maybe it's a coincidence but it seems like lack of use is a problem. I dunno...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast