My Cars
    2012 X5 3.2, 2002 X5 3.0

Any Idea What This Part is?

I had been driving the car (2012 X5) and noticed a bit of "shuttering" as it went from first gear to second, but all else seemed good.

Randomly, I am rolling through an intersection, I hear a pop, the warning lights start flashing like a christmas tree and it sounds like I've got rocks in the transmission or similar.

I immediately pull over and a passer by brought me a part - apparently it fell off the car. It starts, runs fine and will drive, albeit in protected safe mode. The warning lights seem to point to transmission and/or engine.

Any ideas as to what this part is and how much it might cost to fix? Its what fell off.

My Cars
    740iS, 745i, 528i

Any Idea What This Part is?

That is the front half of the rear driveshaft (#6) that connects the transfer case to the rear differential. It must have been insufficiently torqued recently and the three bolts that hold the rubber drive disc to the output flange of the transfer case worked their way loose and then the shaft whipping around severed it from the rear half.
    You’ll likely need a complete driveshaft as they are balanced as an assembly. Should be lots of used ones available from LKQ or similar.

If you are really lucky it might just reassemble but you need to inspect the splines for damage and the shaft for being bent or damaged.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bms5; 07-21-2018 at 11:19 PM.

My Cars
    2012 X5 3.2, 2002 X5 3.0
    Thank you for such an awesome, detailed response. Much appreciated. I suspect a drive shaft, even if replaced is far less than a transmission so I dodged a bullet.

Does this have anything to do with what happened?

https://www.bmwblog.com/2017/03/10/2...train-failure/

The reason I ask is I'm getting restraint and other failures that are under recall as well. Think I just got a bad rig - My 2002 X5 has been an absolute tank w/ no issues.

My Cars
    740iS, 745i, 528i
    No that recall is for premature failure of the front driveshaft, not the rear one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by dmyers976 View Post
    I had been driving the car (2012 X5) and noticed a bit of "shuttering" as it went from first gear to second, but all else seemed good.

Randomly, I am rolling through an intersection, I hear a pop, the warning lights start flashing like a christmas tree and it sounds like I've got rocks in the transmission or similar.

I immediately pull over and a passer by brought me a part - apparently it fell off the car. It starts, runs fine and will drive, albeit in protected safe mode. The warning lights seem to point to transmission and/or engine.

Any ideas as to what this part is and how much it might cost to fix? Its what fell off.

I can't see it clearly in the pic you posted but it looks like you can see the part number on the pic in the quote above...and it looks like it is 7 511 454...if that is correct, then that is probably the last 7 digits of the 11 digit BMW part number. You can input those digits in any of the online part database sites below to find out what the part is:

1. https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select
    2. http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/
    3. https://www.etkbmw.com
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)