Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are We Too Optimistic About The Value Of Our Cars?

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post
    Now this is overpriced:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Z3-2-8-M-Sp...7a6e%7Ciid%3A1

But, it's got the "M Sports Package"... whatever that means.
    so how much. I didn't see a price listed.

how did u miss it?

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    IDK. When I open the listing I don't see a price anywhere but the dealers on crack at that price.

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by z3forlife View Post
    the dealers on crack at that price.
    Don't you know over priced BMW dealers are on coke, not crack... lol
    Built S52 w/Dinan ISR-3 kit, NickG Stage 2+ Tune, Dinan Vortech V2 Supercharger, Dinan Air to Air Intercooler, Dinan CAI, Porsche 803 HFM, Buldogge 6" crank pulley, Griptec 2.90" blower pulley, Eurosport UD pulleys, Dinan 3.38 Diff, Dinan front/rear Swaybars, Dinan springs, Koni Yellow Sport Struts, Ground Control end links, South Bend Clutch Stage 3 Organic, AASCO Light Weight Flywheel 18.5#, Zionsville Radiator & Oil Cooler, Riot Racing BBTB, Schrick Intake Manifold, 42# Injectors, Schrick cams 264/256, Forged Wiseco pistons 9.0 comp., Forged Eagle rods, Supertech dual valve springs & valves, VAC crank & bearings, Supersprint mufflers, Euro Z3 midpipe, Raceland euro headers, Walbro 255, Bevauto ignition coils, Vortech Mondo bypass, Bailey Diverter DV30, Ireland Rear Subframe Bushings, Mason Engineering Strut Brace, Mason Engineering Clutch Petal, Apex 18" EC-7 Wheels, Full Custom Sound System, two trunk lids (with & without OE spoiler), Hardtop, Trunk full of AK's...

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    ... the dealers on crack at that price.[/QUOTE]
    I don't think so. A guy on crack would sell you that car for $100 .

My Cars
    '98 Z3 1.9 Rdstr
    Appears the dealer is playing the "rare" card, but obviously it's mileage blows that up.

My Cars
    z3
    I met the owner of that coupe a couple weeks ago. Nice guy... But wow, thats asking a lot for that car. Cant tell if dealer is consigning or if he sold it but either way its basically double its last asking price. We did clear an airbag light on it at least... Lol

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    I met the owner of that coupe a couple weeks ago. Nice guy... But wow, thats asking a lot for that car. Cant tell if dealer is consigning or if he sold it but either way its basically double its last asking price. We did clear an airbag light on it at least... Lol
    I asked. It's on consignment and that's the price the seller will take. Oh well, free storage at the consignor's for a long time.

I mean, cool color combo and sunroof delete, but @110k miles and that price I'd just dye my seats and weld the roof shut.
    Last edited by s8ilver; 07-24-2018 at 09:43 AM.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    z3
    Yeah I think thats where I hit my price ceiling - if I can make an identical clone for cheaper, I cant justify paying for the "authenticity" - one thing if it low miles and all that for collector value but 100k+ isnt a collector

Plus for that $$$, one can afford a well worn S54 coupe. Its certainly a hard sale

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

I just read ad for 1st time.....

IMO its a bit confusing how you say its the m version of z3 w/ sport susp etc etc etc

Id just say its the Mz3 and not even speak of the non m...

and when u say sport susp it sounds like its diff than an M car?...an m car has so many different items to speak of.........anyhew, just my 01 cent

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    I was about the pull the trigger but then noticed the $237.37 document fee.

That's...
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    N/A
    List it for 14.9, sell it for 14.5 and be done with it before winter. Can't imagine it not selling in a couple of weeks at that price.

Which Cayman did you get?

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Talk about a timely topic !

I find myself at a point where my brain tells me it is time to sell my Titanium Silver 2000 M Roadster with black leather interior. I am 75 years old, retired and my wife and I are going to relocate and simplify things. We have a motorhome and a 2014 Honda CRV we can tow.

I bought the car 12 years ago, it was dead stock , excellent condition , with 38K miles on the clock. It just turned 55K miles this week. The car has been garaged and covered the whole time I have owned it. I am the third owner. The previous owner covered it in his garage as well. It is a southern California car sold new by Thomas BMW and by them as a CPO used car to the man I bought it from.

Not too long after i bought it started making some "improvements" :

repaired the front bumper (scrapes) filling the license plate holes and resprayed it and the hood which had rock chips. The rest of the paint is original, no body work every done, not one door ding etc.

TCKline Single Adjustable Coil overs

Stoptech cross drilled rotors (powder coated unswept areas) with stainless lines (their "stage 3" kit)

Dinan Stage 3 tune-- cold air intake, big bore throttle body, and chip

Magnaflow mufflers

Alpine head unit (ipod in glove box) speakers and amp.

HRE C70 3 piece wheels (matte black center, polished aluminum rims 17x8 front, 17x9.5 rear, special ordered perfect offsets no spacers

Umitza headlights with angel eyes.

I have all the original parts including suspension pieces , Roadstars, mufflers , headlights etc

I have an extremely good condition Hardtop with all mounting hardware -- I bought it from someone local who's car was totaled while the top was in the garage. It is Artic Silver and i never got around to repainting and installing it -- I only drive on nice days and only once in 12 years in the rain-- got caught in a shower driving in the local mountains.

So in my mind a fair price for everything would be $20K--- but especially after reading this thread think that would require finding that "special buyer" we all talk about.

So what do you think -- Everything for $17,500 or sell the top and HRE wheels separate (the wheels were over $4K new and are perfect) and ask $14.5K firm for the car, sell the top and wheels for $1500 each separately which would get me back to $17.5 total????

one last thing in the interest of full disclosure : I spun the car and hit a curb a few years ago-- while i could go on and on about the circumstances the simple explanation is pilot error. the damage was to the left rear wheel and suspension. The half shaft , trailing arm and subframe were replaces with brand new parts. the welds are perfect no damage (the parts replacement was because mounting points on the subframe for the trailing arm were bent slightly. At that time all the bushings were replaced . I replaced the front suspension bushings and the guibo not too long ago as well.

The car runs , drives , and handles as you would and should expect- perfect.

So tell me what you think, I really appreciate it - and will hate to see it go, I do truly love the car.

Bill

My Cars
    '98 Z3 1.9 Rdstr
    No matter how slick your mods are, most buyers out there are scared off by them, and certainly will have a hard time paying more (considering all the used car pricing models online don't account for improvements).

You should advertise it on enthusiast sites (like this) where your upgrades are appreciated.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    I agree. I'll pay more for the right mods. Heck, I could buy another M Roadster with what I've put into mine.
    Nathan in Denver

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post
    I agree. I'll pay more for the right mods. Heck, I could buy another M Roadster with what I've put into mine.
    +1 Me too...
    Built S52 w/Dinan ISR-3 kit, NickG Stage 2+ Tune, Dinan Vortech V2 Supercharger, Dinan Air to Air Intercooler, Dinan CAI, Porsche 803 HFM, Buldogge 6" crank pulley, Griptec 2.90" blower pulley, Eurosport UD pulleys, Dinan 3.38 Diff, Dinan front/rear Swaybars, Dinan springs, Koni Yellow Sport Struts, Ground Control end links, South Bend Clutch Stage 3 Organic, AASCO Light Weight Flywheel 18.5#, Zionsville Radiator & Oil Cooler, Riot Racing BBTB, Schrick Intake Manifold, 42# Injectors, Schrick cams 264/256, Forged Wiseco pistons 9.0 comp., Forged Eagle rods, Supertech dual valve springs & valves, VAC crank & bearings, Supersprint mufflers, Euro Z3 midpipe, Raceland euro headers, Walbro 255, Bevauto ignition coils, Vortech Mondo bypass, Bailey Diverter DV30, Ireland Rear Subframe Bushings, Mason Engineering Strut Brace, Mason Engineering Clutch Petal, Apex 18" EC-7 Wheels, Full Custom Sound System, two trunk lids (with & without OE spoiler), Hardtop, Trunk full of AK's...

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Coupe
    I really don't think these cars are as valuable as we owners believe they are. As stated earlier in this thread- buyers do not care the time and energy you put into your car. They care about spending money on something reliable and worth while. The only Z3 Ms that are going to hold value are the low mileage garage queen S54s and even then, it depends on the state of the economy. There is a very niche market for these cars, and that means demand is low. Some basic economics shows that the price needs to come down on these things. "Never sell" is the motto because you''ll never recoup (almost a pun there) what you put into it.

That being said, if you love the car, then who cares? You need to know why you are buying. If you are buying to make a profit, then you should shell out the cash for a low mileage '02 M Coupe in a rare color and never drive it or enjoy what it was built for. Or opt for a similarly priced low mileage 1M since the price hasn't moved at all in 7 or 8 years. If you want to drive a fun car at a (what should be) reasonable price, then I think this is a good car. But everyone trying to resell and listing these things at ridiculous prices is foolish. I know you all think you have gold, but the fact is you own a 20 year old polarizing-styled car with just about zero bells and whistles. You can't fool the market, and at this point, I think it has spoken.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    I'm with you there. But I don't think we "all think we have gold." My philosophy on buying a car is to buy the best one I can afford for the intended purpose, and near the bottom of the depreciation curve (or at least towards the bottom). I bought an S8 @ 20 cents on the dollar, drove it 8 years, and sold it for nearly what I paid. I'll call that a win any day.

On the flip side, I've bonded with my M so sort of in the #neversell camp there. I've put way more into it than I'd ever get back, but damn do I love driving it. If I did ever sell it, it would have to be to an enthusiast that would appreciate the mods (what enthusiast wouldn't appreciate a supercharger with a hard top, subframe kit, and wide wheels and sticky tires? ).

The one thing I did do on my insurance was to add coverage for additional parts (only stipulation is to provide receipts). If the worst happened, I'd recoup more than the book value. I recently tried to switch to Hagerty, but OMG what a PITA. Since I had two cars to insure (Coupe & Roadster), they said we had to have 2 daily drivers as well. We have one other car (Honda Accord) that I commute in with the wife. According to them, we had to have yet another car to have the Z's covered. Whatever.
    Last edited by s8ilver; 08-14-2018 at 03:25 PM.
    Nathan in Denver

My Cars
    z3
    The values of these cars does not come from the bells and whistles, it comes from the driving experience - which is something unique among cars on the road today. Sure, a 335i may be faster for less, but its not as engaging to drive

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    The values of these cars does not come from the bells and whistles, it comes from the driving experience - which is something unique among cars on the road today. Sure, a 335i may be faster for less, but its not as engaging to drive
    Agreed. It's just plain fun to go anywhere in a Z3M. The best way i can describe it is to say I can enjoy driving without going crazy-fast, (the law might not agree with me). I've had more powerful cars, but it seemed that the fun was in very high speeds.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    Bells and whistles tend to age very poorly. Take a look at any car that has a screen in the dashboard made before 2015.

There's still a market for pure driving cars. Just look at the Vanderhall and the Slingshot, you can get a Z3M for half the price. What a bargain!

My Cars
    E36M3/E46M3/E39M5/E63M6
    Yeah, $16K is probably optimistic. I'd say this is $13-14k car. Beautiful though, GLWS!
    E36/8 2000 M Coupe Cosmos Black/Black
    Shark, Conforti CAI, B&B Exhaust, H&R, Bilstein, AKG Subframe/Diff, UUC TME Red/Caps, Swapped Front Hats, Ice>Link.
    ================================================== =======================

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12