Thread: Clutch Max Stage 3 Clutch/Lightweight Flywheel - Any Good?

My Cars
    E39 528i, E46 325ti

Clutch Max Stage 3 Clutch/Lightweight Flywheel - Any Good?

Hi All, just wondering if anyone has any experience of the Clutch Max stage 3 HD or DF clutches and flywheels?

I'm looking to get a lightweight flywheel and clutch for my M52B30 boosted e39 but as I'm UK based options are a bit more limited, unless you're happy to spend £700+.

These ones are doing delivery under the global shipping program so postage is only about £40 instead of the usual £100-200 from other sellers!

If they're rubbish then I won't bother, but I know some people have had good experiences with the FX Racing clutches and that's what I was looking at originally, so not sure how they fare.

Any help or advice would be great.
    Cheers
    Rob

Edit: just seen they do add import charges as well from the UK so that's another $116! Still worth knowing if they're any good though I guess!
    Last edited by MrMuddle; 07-20-2018 at 12:02 PM.

My Cars
    86 325es
    Educated guess is its the same Chinese made clutches as the gripforce or FX ones they sell in the US, just painted the color of their choice.

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

My Cars
    1998 328is
    i had an fx stage 3 with 11.4 lb chromoly flywheel turbo'd 328is. 340whp 8 psi. it wasn't fun to daily, i got really good at double clutching just to make smooth engagement. it was easy to get leg pain. i went thru 2 throwout bearings in a year. not sure if its related to the FX clutch, but once i switched to a dual mass with a uuc performance organic, my throwout bearing was fine. the uuc performance organic and dual mass was the most well balanced for driveability/performance.

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    I have the gripforce stage 3 with the chromoly. I'd Imagine the one mentioned is the same

The flywheel chatters but I really don't care. Engagement is a bit rough from a stop but it's holding up great so far, around 2,800 miles on it - and I didn't even break it in as I should've

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to mention the throwout bearings that come with these types of kits are complete garbage, do not use them. You can tell by looking at them

Get an OEM throwout bearing if you go this route
    Last edited by 328iFun; 07-26-2018 at 09:41 PM.

My Cars
    E36
    Also running gripforce stage 3 with chromoly. It isn't very user friendly and has some chatter, but for $400 you can't complain. It holds the power great and haven't had any problems with slip.

Like previously mentioned, buy oem throwout bearing. I'd also get an oem pilot bearing since they're cheap..

My Cars
    E39 528i, E46 325ti
    Thanks very much for the info guys, that's really helpful. I don't mind noises and things like that, adds to the character! lol

Anything else worth changing at the same time in that area other than the pilot bearing? I've already changed the ball pin as the old one had seen better days!

My Cars
    E36
    A good time to change rear main seal/oil pan gasket if leaking and also change trans fluid. Replace all shifter bushings, add a short shift kit, and brass clutch pivot pin is a good start.

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster
    I almost went with the this set up, but opted to spend the BIG money for a SouthBend Clutch stage 3 organic/daily with their mid weight flywheel (18.5#) it will hold 450+ HP. It is amazing if you want to throw allot of HP around with a stock feel. Sure I could have went with the chromolly flywheel but I didnt want gear noise in my DD. They make their own clutches from what I'm told in house, and have a lifetime warranty.
    Built S52 w/Dinan ISR-3 kit, NickG Stage 2+ Tune, Dinan Vortech V2 Supercharger, Dinan Air to Air Intercooler, Dinan CAI, Porsche 803 HFM, Buldogge 6" crank pulley, Griptec 2.90" blower pulley, Eurosport UD pulleys, Dinan 3.38 Diff, Dinan front/rear Swaybars, Dinan springs, Koni Yellow Sport Struts, Ground Control end links, South Bend Clutch Stage 3 Organic, AASCO Light Weight Flywheel 18.5#, Zionsville Radiator & Oil Cooler, Riot Racing BBTB, Schrick Intake Manifold, 42# Injectors, Schrick cams 264/256, Forged Wiseco pistons 9.0 comp., Forged Eagle rods, Supertech dual valve springs & valves, VAC crank & bearings, Supersprint mufflers, Euro Z3 midpipe, Raceland euro headers, Walbro 255, Bevauto ignition coils, Vortech Mondo bypass, Bailey Diverter DV30, Ireland Rear Subframe Bushings, Mason Engineering Strut Brace, Mason Engineering Clutch Petal, Apex 18" EC-7 Wheels, Full Custom Sound System, two trunk lids (with & without OE spoiler), Hardtop, Trunk full of AK's...

My Cars
    ford
    I had something come up and needed a clutch immediately and didn't have $1,000 for an exedy. Took my chances with this one, and 1 month in vidmate seems to be a great option for the money. After about 500 miles it feels decent even for daily driving, but still engages a lot harder you just get use to it. I even raced the same night after I put it in earlier that day.
    Last edited by 74San; 09-28-2018 at 05:32 AM.

My Cars
    97' 328is, 07' Titan
    Basically the same one I've got. 7000 miles without issue. From a stop it's aggressive but between gears it's smooth as butter.
    1997 328is - Megasquirt PNP, Holset HX35, Deka 80lb injectors, SPA T3, Precision PW39 WG, Synapse Synchronic BOV, DKM Organic Twin Disc Clutch, Innovate LC-2 W/B, Mishimoto Intercooler, Mishimoto Catch Can, Mishimoto Rad, Devils Own Meth, Porsche 911 calipers with E46 M3 rotors, Corsa Exhaust

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Coupe
    There's no formal definition of a Stage 3 clutch -- it's not a particular technology. To simplify understanding how to upgrade cars, the aftermarket industry classifies upgrades into stages. This allows you to "match" upgrades: e.g. you make your engine more powerful by adding a turbo as part of Stage 3 upgrades, but now you need a bigger clutch to handle all that extra power.9Apps Stage 3 is a very late stage -- most aftermarket companies talk about three stages. A stage 3 clutch would be designed to handle very large torque without slipping. Unless you are tracking your car, it is highly unlikely you need it.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Coupe
    How you guys modded Clutch stage 3 i want try with my gerage thats 9apps

My Cars
    bmw
    Oh okay I understand better now. The car will be mainly just a daily driver and has no mods except and intake. So perhaps a stage 2 would be right for the car or maybe a stage 3 depending on which i can get cheaper. Do you have any recommendations on where to buy from? Also just one last question the car is an import so it's rhd. 9Apps apkVidMate appVLC apk
    Last edited by smithclarkson01; 02-25-2020 at 04:51 PM.

My Cars
    96 Hellrot 328is Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by ocyrus411 View Post
    i had an fx stage 3 with 11.4 lb chromoly flywheel turbo'd 328is. 340whp 8 psi. it wasn't fun to daily, i got really good at double clutching just to make smooth engagement. it was easy to get leg pain. i went thru 2 throwout bearings in a year. not sure if its related to the FX clutch, but once i switched to a dual mass with a uuc performance organic, my throwout bearing was fine. the uuc performance organic and dual mass was the most well balanced for driveability/performance.
    Hey bud, haven't seen you around these parts in a while. That is so weird though I have been using the fx 6 puck clutch for several years, pretty much same turbo setup as you too (60 trim to4e with cx mani). Pretty stiff and grabby, but I haven't had any thowout bearing issues. Then again reviews of these clutch kits tend to be very mixed.

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe
    15 post into this thread and no mention of torque holding capacity???

-Ed Hands
    MaxPSI Stg2 Turbo
    R.Forbes magic F&R
    100K Original owner miles.
    Proud member of the BF.c FI - Big Torque Club (>500wtq Dyno Results)