Thread: VANOS jammed and electrical failure, single vanos, INPA, 328 1996

My Cars
    1996 E36 328 Coupe

VANOS jammed and electrical failure

Hi!

Maybe it's not a problem with vanos at all because the car starts and runs smooth and I never heard any noise coming from it but I want to check it with you guys who knows more than me about it and maybe find a reason why quoted error codes appeared. I got them for the first time back in March this year while it was about 0 down to -5C degress here in Europe, Scandinavia. I've connected PC and read all error codes several times, cleaned them, turned engine on, turned off, read again and these codes appeared every time right after the engine has been started. Last time I've checked it was in the beginning of May (+10C) and I just checked it, cleaned them, disconnected INPA and went back home. I've started the engine about 10-15 times since then, without connecting PC anymore but I did it today, again, before the car goes for rust removal and a new paint. I've been a little bit surprised because they not there anymore. Can someone find a reason why they appeared at all, and dissapeared? Might it be because of the hot weather outside right now? They not there. Right now it's +20C in the night and about +30C at the day. I own this car 2 years and they weren't there before. Thank you in advance.

E R R O R M E M O R Y R E P O R T
    -------------------------------------
    Date:
    ECU:
    05/08/18 10:45:15
    MS410DS2
    JobStatus: OKAY
    Variant: MS410DS2
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    RESULT: 2 errors in error memory !
    21 VANOS valve; electrical failure
    Error frequency : 1
    Logistic counter: 37
    Engine speed
    engine load
    Engine temperature
    Intake air temperature
    interrupt
    emission related malfunction
    defect code stored after filtering
    2560.00 rpm
    136.18 mg/Stroke
    -5.42 degrees C
    30.45 degrees C
    Error not present
    Sporadic error
    212 VANOS jammed
    Error frequency : 1
    Logistic counter: 37
    Engine speed
    engine load
    gear information
    Battery Voltage
    defect code stored after filtering
    2496.00 rpm
    168.86 mg/Stroke
    56.00 1
    10.40 Volt
    Error not present
    Sporadic error
    ================================================== ===========
    Last edited by bl00keRs; 05-01-2019 at 09:57 AM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW E36 323i
    Probably the Vanos solenoid that stopped working.
    You can actually see it working while in the car, if you get someone to drive the car, sit next to him with the INPA laptop and at the analog live values look at the Vanos angles. While driving, you should see it changing, the angle. If it doesn't then you're sure the Vanos isn't working, and because it posts the electrical failure then I think it's the solenoid. I think you can also activate and deactivate the vanos solenoid through INPA.

BTW the vanos won't activate when standing still, even when flooring the pedal, because the load isn't sufficient for Vanos to activate. So, you need to be driving. Best to go with 2 persons. Driving, and at the sametime watching the laptop screen is asking for accidents..

Good luck!

P.S. Check out a thread I started about diagnosing Vanos from INPA: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...6#post29564526 .
    Last edited by ed323i; 07-19-2018 at 06:41 PM.

1997 E36 BMW 323i
    (European) 275k km (171k miles), with following small mods:

My Cars
    1996 E36 328 Coupe
    Thank you for your fast reply and help.

Right now there isn't a single problem in the Engine section of the INPA (since I've cleaned them both last time back in May) and today I've started the engine couple of times just to check if they appear again. Strange that they can disappear just by cleaning them, without any work to the engine. Last time I took the solenoid off was 1 year ago while changing CPS. There was a little bit oil inside the solenoid, I guess it's as it should be? It's not possible to test anything while driving because of the whole front and rear part of the car being unscrewed and no coolant. I'll check your advice when every single part of the car is back on it's place. Is it something to worry about vanos or it might be just the solenoid? May it be the start of the end of life for vanos even without any strange noise coming from it or strange engine behavior?