Thread: Is this a starter problem?

My Cars
    2020 M2C

Is this a starter problem?

2002 M Coupe. Started the car, moved it, turned it off. 10 minutes later it would not start - lights on dash strong, but nothing from the engine, not even clicking. Had AAA come out, they tested the battery (1 yr old Interstate) and it was good. We pushed the car, popped clutch, it started. Now it continues to start just fine. Shop looking at it and can find nothing. Battery and starter seem fine. Looking at anything electrical that could be loose, but that seems to be needle in haystack. Would starter continue to work like this if it was just beginning to die? No codes.

Starter was last replaced Jan 2015 - OE Valeo

May 2015 had ignition switch replaced.

Suggestions appreciated.

Bill
    Bill
    2002 M Coupe. Steel Gray/Black.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    Maybe jammed starter drive hence no "click"? Are there shims installed on our starters ? You may need to remove / add one if it repeats
    Last edited by z3forlife; 07-19-2018 at 08:02 PM.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by z3forlife View Post
    Maybe jammed starter drive hence no "click"? Are there shims installed on our starters ? You may need to remove / add one if it repeats
    No to shims; none fitted.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Unfortunately Bill, you "destroyed the evidence" with it now starting again. Things I look for when one won't crank is if there is a light click, heavy click, or do the dash lights dim ever so slightly when the key is turned. You have the ignition switch, EWS system, clutch switch, and starter solenoid all in series for the low current side, and various battery cable connections, both feed and ground, on the high current side. Plus the starter itself.

I will say that the pattern of failure I've seen from these starters is you will get a click/thunk from the solenoid. And we're at the age where the starters are starting to fail. I've lost the one in my roadie, the wifes coupe, and now the daughters E46 in the last year.

And as Randy said. No shims. As far as I know, only one manufacturer had such astoundingly poor dimensional repeatability in their casting and machining that they designed adjustability into the starter mounting.
    Last edited by rf900rkw; 07-20-2018 at 08:08 AM.

/.randy

My Cars
    z3
    When my S54 starter failed it did so in a very gradual way. A no start once (but would work on consecutive attempts)... Then again a month later... Then a week later until it took a few cranks any time I needed to start it. Been fine since I replaced it. Without knowing anything else going on in your case though I would just drive it for now until symptoms come back. YMMV but when my S54 starter was dieing it never actually left me stranded. It embaressed me when it took like 5 attempts to start it but it always did eventually start.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2020 M2C
    Thanks guys. I’m going to take the wait and see approach. Good news is most of FL is flat enough to push it.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    And as Randy said. No shims. As far as I know, only one manufacturer had such astoundingly poor dimensional repeatability in their casting and machining that they designed adjustability into the starter mounting.
    Oh, I don't think that was designed in--that so smacked of being an ad hoc solution to me. The same manufacturer whose paint peals off and has done so for decades. And yet people still buy their cars.