Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PZary's 01 330ci HPDE/TT build possibly turning into a SpecE46

My Cars
    2017 Raptor 97 M3 02 M3
    Really supposed to be a TT4 car. I added a rear diffuser which kicked me outa tt4. I over weight and under powered i run about 250whp and ~2900lbs. Ive been struggling with going full racecar and still being able to have fun around town. It was too late to remove the diffuser so i added some dive planes (also not allowed in TT3) just to see a good base line. Last time i ran the car (nov 2017) i was running 1:57s i think, on full course with the esses. I had no aero and was running maxxis slicks. Never put down a good lap before the PS line failed.

My Cars
    95 M3, 01 330ci
    Quote Originally Posted by The sage View Post
    Really supposed to be a TT4 car. I added a rear diffuser which kicked me outa tt4. I over weight and under powered i run about 250whp and ~2900lbs. Ive been struggling with going full racecar and still being able to have fun around town. It was too late to remove the diffuser so i added some dive planes (also not allowed in TT3) just to see a good base line. Last time i ran the car (nov 2017) i was running 1:57s i think, on full course with the esses. I had no aero and was running maxxis slicks. Never put down a good lap before the PS line failed.
    Ahh, That makes sense, I just decided I have no enjoyment out of my car on the street keeping it legal, soooo...... Because Race Car!

I keep a tag and ins. on it in case a friend breaks down and doesn't have a trailer or if I need gas and it isn't onsite like at my home track MIR. But 750/850 springs make for a bumpy ride on Memphis and North Mississippi streets.

1:57 with the esses is moving! Everyone I talked to said they missed the esses,it looked fun! I knew I had a 1:59 in the car with the Indy straight but I could not sack up and stay flat out through turn 9 on to the back straight. I still need to develop the car a bit more and whittle away at the time. I also think my NT-01s were holding me back as well. I played with some tire pressures and it was good for 2 seconds (though I think it was more of the cooler weather). We are having an event in Memphis in July and there will be a well prepped TT4 e36 M3 there, come join the fun!

As far as aero is concerned I want to stay away from it as long as possible. I need to make the car GOOD without and get to the point where the lack of aero is holding me back. Brandon in the S2K has the full aero package as much as is possible in TT5, I see where it can help him especially from turns 4 through 9 at NOLA. However I catch him in the slower sections.
    Last edited by Pzary3233; 06-05-2019 at 03:52 PM.

My Cars
    2017 Raptor 97 M3 02 M3
    Memphis looks like a blast. Id love to come up. I need to make sure the car is 100% before i make a trip like that. Id hate to drive 6 hours and have a failure like NOLA. Im hoping to get back to barber in the fall for an event. Is the tt4 prepped e36 robs? Ive talked to him a bit and know the guy that built the car pretty well. If that is the car (white e36) it is very fast and well sorted.

My Cars
    95 M3, 01 330ci
    Quote Originally Posted by The sage View Post
    Memphis looks like a blast. Id love to come up. I need to make sure the car is 100% before i make a trip like that. Id hate to drive 6 hours and have a failure like NOLA. Im hoping to get back to barber in the fall for an event. Is the tt4 prepped e36 robs? Ive talked to him a bit and know the guy that built the car pretty well. If that is the car (white e36) it is very fast and well sorted.
    Yep the Rob/Darby e36. He has been having some engine issues since NCM I think some valves may have been bent... I'm hoping he has it figured out because I want to play in July! MIR is a fun track, the high HP cars love it due to the long straight but we always catch them. I don't know that I am going to make Barber this year, I would love to but from now till December I've got at least one event a month sometimes two so it's probably not in the cards.

My Cars
    95 M3, 01 330ci
    So with working on the car more to improve some weight I also wanted to add some usability. The stock trunk open button never has worked I've always had to use a key... I took note of Bill Griffin's latch release and copied it.

Super easy and I have less than $5 in it! No more hunting for the key when I need to get in the trunk!

The other thing I did was reuse the stock interior door handles. They don't weigh anything so I made a template and slid it in and Voila! It works!

Originally I was going to put it higher up but decided against it for now.

Currently, I am working on keeping the windows UP with the doors gutted for storage and travel.

I am also about to pull the dash to remove the HVAC completely and then swapping to e36 manifolds and 3" exhaust. Less weight and more power! Still looking at tune options...

My Cars
    95 M3, 01 330ci
    Another bit of progress on the e46!

A friend of mine and I went in together on some scales so that we can dial in our weights and get the cars where they need to be for TT5.

I got a good weight on the car for the first time in a while. I was surprised to see I had lost 200# from the last time I weighed the car. I'll need to work on cross weights a bit, a few turns on the RF should get that a little better. Shooting for 2950 with driver for TT5.

Then comes the balancing act of less weight, more power, or aero... I'm thinking of weight over the other two BUT... Any ideas?

My Cars
    95 M3, 01 330ci
    Well, a lot has happened since the last post. The last weekend of July we had our Winter in July event at MIR. Great day of racing and I always enjoy watching the Aussie Pursuit on Sunday.

Friday night a good friend and I went through the instructor clinic and then Saturday morning we received our first HPDE students! My weekend was wholly consumed working with my student. The car didn't mind I checked tire pressures and went up a click on the front rebound. My buddy and I also did a bunch of in-car scenarios on different student types in the HPDE3/4 sessions, it was a GREAT TIME! The car was flawless all weekend ran well in the heat and the only thing lacking was tires getting greasy by the end of the session. I think Saturday I was out in 8 sessions in my car and 6 on Sunday due to exercises, Time Trials, and working with my student.

Saturday's TT sessions were fun! Brandon ran fastest and I was about a second behind him, Pat was just on my tail in his GTI. We did a lot of work on the GTI and was excited to see how it will do. With some more figuring, I think we will have a really good car. My car did well, I'm on really old NT-01s and plan to make the switch to Toyo RR's for September. I have learned that I am overdriving the car. Driving way too fast into corners and slowing my exit speed way down because I am scrubbing speed instead of building speed through the corners. This coming week on the 13th there is an SCCA Track NIght I am going to see if I can make it and hone some skills. I feel there are at least two seconds in just driving style. That would put me into 1st. Sunday I was slow, Pat ran a 1:17.9 to my 1:18.03 and took 2nd from me. No excuses I overdrove and was tired.

All in all, we had an awesome weekend and had the best Paddock area ever that we share with the Miata boys. Tent City and a Camper with A/C to cool off in and take a leak if needed.

We are trying to build up our TT5 group for 2020 and we are all aiming to run ST5 in 2021. We have about 5 committed to 2020 and 2021!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12