Thread: Shelf life of CHF11S

My Cars
    1994 840Ci - M60, 6MT

Shelf life of CHF11S

I was wondering how long a bottle of opened CHF11S can be kept and used for a top-up?

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Nothing mentioned about opened container. On the can there is mentioned a minimum shelf life of 5 years.
    Minimum Storage Life at Customer Premises
    Hydraulic Fluid (in tin can) 5 Years
    Hydraulic Fluid (in plastic container) 3 Years
    Pre-condition for a minimum storage life is the correct storage in unopened, original containers, i.e. protection from direct sunlight, frost, and rain and a storage temperature between 41°F and up to 104°F.
    Extensive practical experience has shown that with the correct storage the quality of our products does not typically deteriorate even if the above mentioned storage periods are slightly extended.
    No guarantee of compliance with the technical data and characteristics specified in Product Information Sheet and specification can be given after the containers have been opened.
    The indication of a minimum storage life does not constitute any guarantee of durability.
    We recommend to thoroughly homogenize oily products before use (e.g. shake well or stir up with suitable equipment).

http://www.crpindustries.com/pentosi...age%20Life.pdf

In the past 30 years I have used Pentosin from opened cans which were abt. 3 years old for topping up, no problem.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    640GC, SL500
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    Nothing mentioned about opened container. On the can there is mentioned a minimum shelf life of 5 years.
    In the past 30 years I have used Pentosin from opened cans which were abt. 3 years old for topping up, no problem.
    I have two 5 Liter unopened containers of Pentosin CHF11S, purchased in Sept of 2015. They have sat in a dark garage, with under 100 degree temperatures. Do I need to throw them away and purchase new?

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    I found this info, quote: After 10 years of breakdown before... I'm curious to see the results, Called Pentosin (CHF 11S) today for information concerning the fluid. There is no mileage or hour count on the fluid as there are too many variables (what the fluid is in), they did inform me that the fluid itself has a 5 year shelf life. Being stored in a metal can can give up to a 7 year shelf life but stored in plastic (our reservoir) breaks it down even sooner then 5 years. This does not include the heat factor involved in the breakdown in our cars. https://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/threa...owners.129783/
    Last edited by shogun; 07-11-2023 at 03:43 AM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!