Thread: Bought a 1991 E34 M5. What do I need to know and some other questions

My Cars
    FORD F350

Bought a 1991 E34 M5. What do I need to know and some other questions

So I bought a 1991 M5 out of California. I'm in Alaska so I haven't actually seen it yet but its going into a specialty shop (Bavarian Professionals) for some repairs and I'll fly down later this month to pick up my latest money pit. Anything specific I need to know about? Car has 109k miles. The shop is fixing some leaks, some suspension parts, doing a valve adjustment, and some other crap that has been neglected. I do know the rear leveling system has been deleted.

Anyway... the car is black on black and has amber yellow lenses for the high beams. I think this looks a little rice-y and prefer a stock appearance. I don't mind replacing with stock units but wanted some recommendations if there is anything better out there than buying OEM or less money for a decent product. Side note is being in Alaska we have about 24 hours of daylight during the summer. Winters come with snow depth measured in feet and much ice, not friendly for my new toy. So what I'm essentially saying is the headlights will almost never get used since it wont be driven during the winter.

It's currently riding on 17" 7 series wheels. I need to find some throwing stars, like ASAP. The car needs new tires before I can drive it away and really do not want to buy tires for wheels that I want to change out. So any advice on finding a set of those would be great. I'd prefer originals but I wouldn't object to a quality replica.

Oh, and the most important thing: I need a cup holder.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    Welcome!

Rare old E34 that far north? Hell yeah!

Stock headlights are quite good if the glass isn't all pitted. In your place I would stop at various Picknpulls on the drive north (there are about 8 of them in the Bay area alone) and find a good used set. For that matter, you may well find some cupholders, and other pieces worth pulling. Between population, wealth, and lack of rust, the west coast is a gold mine for used BMW stuff; grab what you can while you're there.

Or just remove the yellow crap from the existing ones. The lenses are glass, so bring on the chemicals and razorblades.

"Won't be using highbeams"? You forgot that one of the primary purposes of highbeams is to signal to the riffraff to GTFO of your way, and you'll find yourself doing that a lot in an M5. Besides, even in the north (I've been to arctic Canada, Iceland, Sweden, and lived in Norway about 65N), there's a good chunk of time between when night comes back and snow hits. Most of August and September, depending on where you are exactly.

What size are the current rims? Throwing stars are 17x8, most square but some staggered 17x8/9. If the current ones are the same or close, the tires will interchange. Spec is 235/45R17 (for the 8"), but from personal experience, you can use 245/40, 225/50, or 245/45. The latter two correct the speedometer error, at least for highway speeds.
    Last edited by moroza; 07-19-2018 at 03:39 AM.

My Cars
    FORD F350
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    Welcome!

Rare old E34 that far north? Hell yeah!

Stock headlights are quite good if the glass isn't all pitted. In your place I would stop at various Picknpulls on the drive north (there are about 8 of them in the Bay area alone) and find a good used set. For that matter, you may well find some cupholders, and other pieces worth pulling. Between population, wealth, and lack of rust, the west coast is a gold mine for used BMW stuff; grab what you can while you're there.

Or just remove the yellow crap from the existing ones. The lenses are glass, so bring on the chemicals and razorblades.

"Won't be using highbeams"? You forgot that one of the primary purposes of highbeams is to signal to the riffraff to GTFO of your way, and you'll find yourself doing that a lot in an M5. Besides, even in the north (I've been to arctic Canada, Iceland, Sweden, and lived in Norway about 65N), there's a good chunk of time between when night comes back and snow hits. Most of August and September, depending on where you are exactly.

What size are the current rims? Throwing stars are 17x8, most square but some staggered 17x8/9. If the current ones are the same or close, the tires will interchange. Spec is 235/45R17 (for the 8"), but from personal experience, you can use 245/40, 225/50, or 245/45. The latter two correct the speedometer error, at least for highway speeds.

Ahh sorry I was mistaken on the wheel size. The 7 series wheels on it are 18 inch. Not sure if I will have time to stop at junk yards on the way back. Never had much luck in them and wont have any tools with me. I didn't think about being able to remove the yellow from the lenses. Wonder how hard that would be. My job requires me to do a lot of traveling in my company truck which is my primary vehicle... the M5 will be lucky to see 1500 miles a year

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    Make up the time by stretching the M5's legs on the return trip. I highly recommend taking BC-37 past Dease Lake, instead of the normal BC-97 Al-Can that's surprisingly crowded, and crawling with semi-undercover SUV cops. At least, that was the case in 2010.

No tools? Wave some cash at the junkyard rats. Recommend lining up wheels in advance; junkyards tend to scrap them.

My Cars
    FORD F350
    I do need a grey rear carpet for the car... any idea where to source one?

My Cars
    325e 535i M5 325iT 330i
    How about posting the last 7 of your VIN so we can see where it fits relative to our cars? Mine is BK06090, and there is a guy in Colorado that has its sister ship, BK06091. Welcome to the wonderful world of E34 M5 ownership. Nikos, care to weigh in?

My Cars
    m5s
    Quote Originally Posted by COLT601 View Post
    So I bought a 1991 M5 out of California. I'm in Alaska so I haven't actually seen it yet but its going into a specialty shop (Bavarian Professionals) for some repairs and I'll fly down later this month to pick up my latest money pit. Anything specific I need to know about? Car has 109k miles. The shop is fixing some leaks, some suspension parts, doing a valve adjustment, and some other crap that has been neglected. I do know the rear leveling system has been deleted.

Anyway... the car is black on black and has amber yellow lenses for the high beams. I think this looks a little rice-y and prefer a stock appearance. I don't mind replacing with stock units but wanted some recommendations if there is anything better out there than buying OEM or less money for a decent product. Side note is being in Alaska we have about 24 hours of daylight during the summer. Winters come with snow depth measured in feet and much ice, not friendly for my new toy. So what I'm essentially saying is the headlights will almost never get used since it wont be driven during the winter.

It's currently riding on 17" 7 series wheels. I need to find some throwing stars, like ASAP. The car needs new tires before I can drive it away and really do not want to buy tires for wheels that I want to change out. So any advice on finding a set of those would be great. I'd prefer originals but I wouldn't object to a quality replica.

Oh, and the most important thing: I need a cup holder.

Hopefully the high beams just have laminx for the yellow, but Hella did produce yellow glass lenses for the french market.

T stars pop up from time to time in the classifieds here and on M5board, ebay, etc; genuine BMW forged T stars carry a premium, but there are some replicas that show up.

18"s from a 7 . . . M Parallels?

Cupholder . . . eh? https://www.bavauto.com/bmw-cup-holder-82110027936u

My Cars
    FORD F350
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackson42 View Post
    How about posting the last 7 of your VIN so we can see where it fits relative to our cars? Mine is BK06090, and there is a guy in Colorado that has its sister ship, BK06091. Welcome to the wonderful world of E34 M5 ownership. Nikos, care to weigh in?
    Sure! BK05154

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by de Witt View Post
    Hopefully the high beams just have laminx for the yellow, but Hella did produce yellow glass lenses for the french market.

T stars pop up from time to time in the classifieds here and on M5board, ebay, etc; genuine BMW forged T stars carry a premium, but there are some replicas that show up.

18"s from a 7 . . . M Parallels?

Cupholder . . . eh? https://www.bavauto.com/bmw-cup-holder-82110027936u
    Yep they are M Parallels. The guys at the shop said they are actually from an 8 series and offset, 18x8 front and 18x8.5 rear.

Thanks for the cup holder link. Are there any decent ones out there that mount in the center console area?

I found a set of 5 original wheels. Seller is asking $900 and I'd rate them in fair condition and have no covers. Ehhh... not sure if I should wait for something better
    Last edited by COLT601; 07-20-2018 at 02:48 AM.

My Cars
    m5s
    Quote Originally Posted by COLT601 View Post
    Sure! BK05154

- - - Updated - - -

Yep they are M Parallels. The guys at the shop said they are actually from an 8 series and offset, 18x8 front and 18x8.5 rear.

Thanks for the cup holder link. Are there any decent ones out there that mount in the center console area?

I found a set of 5 original wheels. Seller is asking $900 and I'd rate them in fair condition and have no covers. Ehhh... not sure if I should wait for something better
    cupholder

https://www.amazon.com/Console-Cup-H...+e34+cupholder

The 18 M parallels are very nice wheels and you should be able to sell them, the offset works for the E34 particularly when you larger width tires on the rear.

900 seems within range. No covers is typical, they are getting harder to source so youll have to keep an eye out for them.

My Cars
    92 525iT(S52)
    There are a co8ple of sets of Throwing Stars on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E34-M5-...LH_TitleDesc=0

In the process of selling my 93 M5. Expecting check in a couple of days and a truck coming by to get it. Going to miss it but it's time for someone else to take care of it.

My Cars
    92 M5
    Welcome to E34 M5 ownership. I have never seen those door clip cup holders so that was pretty cool. I have the original BMW style one and it's pretty useless. I am on year 3 of ownership and having a blast. Lucky enough I have turbine and throwing star covers for my M systems and they seem to be getting harder to find and expensive. I love my car and even more so when I get a chance to stretch it out a bit and get it above 4K rpms, tons of fun and comfortable and on and on. They are appreciating it seems as well. I don't get to drive mine much either (about 5,000 kms/year) but they are always enjoyable miles. Try age m5board as well. Not a lot of activity but very helpful when needed.

My Cars
    m5s
    Quote Originally Posted by gtopaul View Post

In the process of selling my 93 M5. Expecting check in a couple of days and a truck coming by to get it. Going to miss it but it's time for someone else to take care of it.

Can you give me the VIN of your 93 Calypso, such a rare (and beautiful) color, one of 5 for the HD93 93 MY . . . just want to keep track of the ones still going.

My Cars
    FORD F350
    Quote Originally Posted by gtopaul View Post

What did you sell it for?

My Cars
    92 525iT(S52)
    It's on the BMWCCA site in the classifieds.