Thread: E39 help, SOS. Losing power. (Lengthy read)

My Cars
    2002 Bmw 530I

E39 help, SOS. Losing power. (Lengthy read)

Hey all

I have a 2002 530i that keeps losing power. I was able to clear the codes I had:p2098, p1085, p0171, p1771. Which was causing rough idling, misfiring, difficulty accelerating and stalling; occasionally the battery sign would come on to which I would foolishly accelerate it “away,” it’s to the point where that no longer does it (obv not a fix).

I’ve changed spark plugs, air/oil filters, fuel injectors, o2 sensors, MAF sensor, crank shaft and cam shaft position sensors, disa valve, fuel pump &relay. Since then the rough idling has let up significantly, no harsh shaking, the car’s initial warm up isn’t as shaky or jumpy from misfiring.

Some background info: I’ve had the car for a little over a year and the battery sign has always randomly popped up and as mentioned before, I’d foolishly accelerate it “away,” even after changing the battery.
    I also had a bad power steering leak for quite some time which would be positioned almost right above the alternator.

I changed the DISA Valve today, and the engine light disappeared. literally went about 4 miles in a residential zone and lost power while in park.
    Engine light BACK ON.
    No noise, just a bit of shaking. Car refused to start there after.
    Given previous experiences it most likely will in the morning. Temperamental, much? Ughh

In terms of the power outage, might it be the alternator? If not, then what? SOS Please help.
    I haven’t been able to take any readings either.

ALSOOO, what are the chances that a fuel pump isn’t sitting correctly? Better yet why do I have to switch my key to position 1, and allow the fuel gauge to rise before switching the key on? If not the car cranks and struggles to start. It wasn’t something I experienced until after replacing the pump.

If you’ve read this far, I APPRECIATE U.

Plz n thnx you

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528i
    As for that battery problem, I'd check to make sure the ground cable that conects to the passenger side motor mount bracket is tightly secured. It is the only ground cable for the motor. One time i did a replacement motor mount and didn't lock up the cable and it also cause my motor to lose power at random or maybe even a cause for a misfire but i doubt it. You said rough idles but didn't mention tackling you ICV. If i were you I'd pull that out and make sure its clean or at least functioning. I once had a crappy throttlebody gasket that gave me misfires and I also lost my mind trying to figure out what it could have possibly been after replacing all spark plugs, all new CCV kit, new intake boots, valve cover gasket, MAF, and fuel filter.

On the other hand though, I have also experienced loss of power at random due to a failing fuel pump. I would be driving on the freeway at 70mph and all of a sudden my speed would drop like crazy as if my motor shut off instantly. It would stumbl while it lost power than it would spring back up again a few seconds later. Pretty scary to deal with multiple times.

With all that you have replaced have you considered getting it check out by a bmw oriented mechanic/tech? I don't mean the "stealership" but a reputable european mechanic. With all the money you've put into it, it wouldn't hurt to have it professionally checked out (that is if you aren't a professional yourself). Also a compression test wouldn't hurt at all, might even really help.

Besides all that give detail for detail on every little thing that happens when it loses power. Any lights going dim? Or ac blowing lightly, etc

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528i
    Also if you have a multimeter it'd be a good step to take it around to various suspected eletrical points/grounds in your car so you could at least rule out voltage issues. I believe you are supposed to have at least 12.40v for the vehicle to run properly, others may say more. If you are around 12.00-12.20v you ought to get your battery charged or replaced. If you find yourself getting a battery every year, your alternator just might be a suspect! I'd put the voltage of the alternator on priority if so

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by Santiagonj View Post
    changed spark plugs, air/oil filters, fuel injectors, o2 sensors, MAF sensor, crank shaft and cam shaft position sensors, disa valve, fuel pump &relay.
    I changed the DISA Valve today
    Attention Lieutenant Nutbuster!!!! Load up the Parts Cannon and FIRE AT WILL!!!

Jokes aside...

I'll second checking grounds and voltage levels.

Any water ever in the car? There's the passenger footwell swimming pool corrosion problem that can cause all kinda mystery voltage problems. Bad ignition switches too, although they tend to manifest other weirdo electrical symptoms (seconding PostChris again).

Also: Check codes with a proper BMW_compatible scanner, not a lousy pee-pee code scanner if at all possible. The info may be more specific/correct/complete.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    Outside chance that the brushes in the alt are worn down, such that they lose contact with the slip rings. That could account for the randomness.

Quick check: Rig a voltmeter to the ciggy lighter socket, and watch it when it loses power. A sudden drop in voltage from 14 to 12 is a clue that the alt is janky.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    1998 E46 328i (-->330i)
    Have you changed the fuel filter?
    Some of the symptoms you have could be caused by a clogged fuel filter...

It could also be a loose voltage supply pin in the ECU.

I don't see how the alternator could cause this - the battery (if healthy) should hold the voltage above 12v in all non-cranking conditions. And the ECU will run the engine just fine down to around 10 volt.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by VormDK View Post
    And the ECU will run the engine just fine down to around 10 volt.
    I would not agree with this. IME you'll get some weird operating symptoms well before 10V.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by VormDK View Post
    And the ECU will run the engine just fine down to around 10 volt.
    I agree with GG.
    When my alternator crapped out I monitored the voltage in the cluster. Around 11.2-11.3 volts the engine shut down.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    It seems to me that your problems may be related to the large amount of parts replaced.
    Either there are bad connections to parts installed, or during the installation something adjacent was disturbed.

EVEN quite possibly the actual parts installed may be at fault. Rule of thumb - ONLY BMW OE or OEM replacements,
    for ANY and ALL BMW sensors or critical electronic parts. Unless you enjoy chasing electrical gremlins or electronic anomalies.

I would go over all your work, confirming clean snug connections, followed by clearing all codes.
    Perform new scan, preferably with a BMW specific scantool/software, that can communicate with all BMW modules.

Post back with results.

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    I agree with GG.
    When my alternator crapped out I monitored the voltage in the cluster. Around 11.2-11.3 volts the engine shut down.
    Yep, and long, long before then the trans went into limp mode, followed by the ABS trifecta.
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)
    Titanium Silver/Black Nappa Full 07-18-2001 E39 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 198,000mi+. Increasing daily. Engine rebuild thread.
    (eŌō\ (||||)º(||||) / ōŌe)
    Alpineweiss III/Black Merino Full 03-26-2007 E60 M5 Manual (CX08265). 157,000+. Dead starter -_-

RIP, Seabiscuit. Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
    Take 2 "Otto" - Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
    Take 3 "Manuel" - Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi. I regret that. Build Log
    Reliable P.O.S. - Green/gray 1995 Camry V6 LE. 270k mi. Sold for space.