Thread: Strange strange case, any ideas ?

My Cars
    1996 740IL

Strange strange case, any ideas ?

Greetings ..

Something really strange happened today, ANY ideas how to troubleshoot are highly appreciated!

Model of my car is 1996 740il.

I just finished replacing upper + lower radiator hoses, put new coolant in and bleed the system. When I turned on the engine, to my surprise it wanted to shut down, making sounds like it was sucking in air from broken hose or something, low frequency bum bum bum near dying out. Before it could die out, it automatically raised its RPM, sounding quite normal, then again it was about to die out.

I went to check under the hood, everything looked normal.

Went back to the drivers seat and pressed the gas pedal but there was almost no change in the RPM. At the same time car was still fighting not to die out. Pressing gas pedal has very very little or almost no effect. Went back out and tried to pull the cables by hand. Same thing, no effect in the RPM.

I was obviously quite worried by that time, went and turned the engine off. Turned it back on, everything still the same, engine about to die off, system raising the RPM automatically to keep it running. At the same time, pressing gas pedal just made the bumping dying sound bit more active but no change in the RPM. Automatic gas (that kept it from dying out) was working as supposed to ...

While playing with the gas pedal I found a way to get the RPM up a bit, pressed gas few quick times in a row when suddenly BANG! Pieces of plastic blew out from under the hood like a small bomb went off. I quickly turned the engine off and went to check, to see that the fan of the engine had exploded. Also the plastic sides of the radiator, where the upper hose is attached to, was to pieces. Could be that the radiator was hit by the blades of the fan ...

I have new fan + radiator on the way but before replacing, I would be very very thankful to hear ANY ideas, what could have happened! Like I said, visually everything looked as it was supposed to when the engine was running but at the same time manual gas + pulling the cables had almost no effect. Auto-gas, trying to prevent the die out worked and sounded as it should.

*** About a week ago I had a strange metallic ringing sound somewhere in the front part of the car. It sounded exactly like some metal part was dragged under the car, though nothing was. JUST before this accident happened, when I was cleaning up from replacing the hoses, I found a piece (image added) under the car that I have not seen before. There is a SMALL chance that it just got there while I was re-arranging things at it is just a random piece of junk OR it has something to do with the case ?

Sorry if my English is not too flowing ROUGH evening

THANK YOU ahead!

37370415_2160981073930666_9182433757209034752_n.jpg37321541_2160978050597635_2791365598620155904_n.jpg

My Cars
    750IL/540iT/R53/E46Vert
    If you have broken motor mounts, you could have shifted the motor, as you tried to rev it. If it shifted enough, the fan could have hit the radiator or shroud, causing it to shatter. You better check your transmission mounts too.

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Maybe the waterpump seized up?

|| 1995 740i || M60B40 || DUDMD || ̶o̶r̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶b̶l̶u̶e̶ Mercedes Brilliant Blue Metallic || Style 168 Wheels 1" Spacers ||

My Cars
    1996 740IL
    Quote Originally Posted by CPHES View Post
    ... You better check your transmission mounts too.
    That piece that I found under the car sure looks similar to transmission mounts. Not as the originals as much as I know though. Considering the previous owners care taking of the car (not very professional), it is possible that they have replaced the transmission mounts with some random s#!t. Will check ASAP ...