Thread: 850CSi clutch replacement options

My Cars
    E89, E39, E38

850CSi clutch replacement options

Hi,

Recently purchased a supercharged E32 750iL with the 6-speed manual out of an 850CSi. However, the clutch is completely gone, and the car won't move anymore. What are my options at present? I did a bit of research; it seems like the UUC kit is most highly recommended, but that's a huge chunk of change. I went to the BMW dealer, and the clutch is now NLA from them. There's an Exedy kit on eBay for around $1,300, but I've also seen people recommend SPEC clutches, which can be had for around $900-1,000. I believe the stock clutch was retained when the 6-speed conversion was initially done, and it's lasted for many, many miles, so I'm not concerned with having to run an upgraded clutch.

Do any CSi owners here have any recommendations/advice? Thanks in advance.
    10/12 E89 Z4 sDrive35i: Alpine White/Coral Red, 6MT, ZMP
    12/01 E39 M5: TiAg/full black leather, Supersprint mufflers + x-pipe, SSK
    04/95 E38 750iL: Jet Black/black, M Parallels, Shadowline, x-pipe and muffler delete

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Both Exedy and SPEC clutches are solid choices; I don't think you can go wrong with either.
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    1992 E31 850i
    Whatever you choose, on a supercharged application, you want something better than the OEM CSi setup anyway. That's what I'm running in a twin-turbo application, and I have to baby it to avoid slipping or burning the clutch. If I were doing the build again (or if I ever actually wear this one out -- that car barely sees a hundred miles a year), I'd probably go with one of the stronger Spec options available.

It's been years ago, but when I was doing my build, I remember the correct clutch alignment tool actually being kind of hard to find. I thought that was really odd at the time, and forget where I finally found one.

Cheers, John

My Cars
    BMW 850
    Quote Originally Posted by rgao007 View Post
    Hi,

Recently purchased a supercharged E32 750iL with the 6-speed manual out of an 850CSi. However, the clutch is completely gone, and the car won't move anymore. What are my options at present? I did a bit of research; it seems like the UUC kit is most highly recommended, but that's a huge chunk of change. I went to the BMW dealer, and the clutch is now NLA from them. There's an Exedy kit on eBay for around $1,300, but I've also seen people recommend SPEC clutches, which can be had for around $900-1,000. I believe the stock clutch was retained when the 6-speed conversion was initially done, and it's lasted for many, many miles, so I'm not concerned with having to run an upgraded clutch.

I am running a e39 m5 clutch and flywheel and am super happy. My mechanic knows how to apply it and it runs super smooth.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740i
    I know it's a bit pricey, but the UUC setup imho is worth it. I am running it on my SC'ed setup and it's torque handling capacity combined with it's clutch pedal effort (which I am confident is lighter than stock), and lighter overall rotating assembly (quicker engine response) equals a very pleasing driving experience.

My Cars
    E89, E39, E38
    Thanks for all the responses. I think a SPEC Stage 2 or up might be my best bet. Would love to get the UUC kit, but it's just a bit out of my price range.
    10/12 E89 Z4 sDrive35i: Alpine White/Coral Red, 6MT, ZMP
    12/01 E39 M5: TiAg/full black leather, Supersprint mufflers + x-pipe, SSK
    04/95 E38 750iL: Jet Black/black, M Parallels, Shadowline, x-pipe and muffler delete

My Cars
    E24, E34 x2, E36
    Hey. I run the JB 280mm clutch kit with a 1 piece mildly LW flywheel behind my centrifugal supercharged e34 540i c/500bhp. Originally I had the organic clutch plate but I had hydraulic issues which I believe caused the clutch to slip then ultimately fail. I believe it would have been ok but I got the clutch plate modified locally (Australia) with tailings from an exceddy Nissan GT-R. It’s not a full puck clutch but a solid plate with segmented tailings. It’s very drivable I even copes ok with 2nd gear starts with 3.15 diff. Not quite as streetable as the full organic though. A good compromise. You must use a spring clutch plate as a solid one will rattle with a 1 piece flywheel. The lighter the worse the rattle.

Not what u want with a gentlemanly 8 (edit 7) series.

If the supercharger is centrifugal type it should be fine. If twin screw maybe need something like a dual plate setup in the 240dia that uuc used to offer (for memory). Clutch is one thing not to save money on.
    Last edited by GazM3; 07-22-2018 at 10:01 PM.
    BMW’s
    90 E34 M5
    84 E24 M635csi standalone ecu with coil on plug
    94 E34 540i/6 SC 5-17psi Flex fuel/standalone ecu
    97 Z3 2.8
    97 E36 M3 euro SC still u/c

OTHERS
    11 Audi S5 APR stg2
    19 Volkswagen Amarok V6

My Cars
    1991 850i S70 6 speed
    UUC on my S70 car

Also love their short shifter Kit. My opinion a must have.

Forced Induction = New Clutch Sooner

Hi,

My Cars
    E34 540i6, E46 323i, E36
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rotomoto712 View Post
    I know it's a bit pricey, but the UUC setup imho is worth it. I am running it on my SC'ed setup and it's torque handling capacity combined with it's clutch pedal effort (which I am confident is lighter than stock), and lighter overall rotating assembly (quicker engine response) equals a very pleasing driving experience.
    Older thread I know...

Fatandre,

Are you saying you used an E39 M5 clutch setup mated to the M70 engine in your 850? If so do you have any idea whether it's a straight bolt-on? I've heard conflicting reports on whether the M60/M62/S62 flywheel bolt pattern and hub will match the M70. If you have anymore info I'd appreciate it. I'm trying to plan a 750il manual conversion...Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for all the responses. I think a SPEC Stage 2 or up might be my best bet. Would love to get the UUC kit, but it's just a bit out of my price range.
    Did you end up going with the SPEC clutch setup? Any info on how you like it if you did?

My Cars
    BMW 850
    Yes. I have a m5 e39 clutch nas flywheel on my CSI
    Runs like a charm
    Some minor modification has to be done. My mechanic knows what it is. It’s adding a small spacer or something