Thread: Glovebox torch charger cable retention

My Cars
    '92 740iL + '85 M635CSi

Glovebox torch charger cable retention

What retains the glovebox torch charger socket cable into the provided slot it's obviously designed to run inside in the lower edge of the glovebox panel? Mine has nothing to hold the cable in place and as a result it just falls out of its own accord as soon as you look at it. Is there some sort of mechanical retainer clip that's supposed to go here to stop the cable falling out? Mine looks for all the world like there's never been anything there to hold the cable firmly in the groove moulded into the edge of the glovebox body that is obviously intended to retain the cable and make it invisible from view.

My Cars
    92 735iL (12/1991)
    I was just in there last week and grabbed a photo (had a question about taking out the strut clips; ignore the arrow).

See the black clip with a bit of rust on it? There are three of those holding the cable in place. They seem to fit very tightly because when I tried yanking on the cable it wouldn't move.

strut_clip.jpg

My Cars
    '92 740iL + '85 M635CSi
    I see yes. Any idea what the part number is for those clips? My glovebox doesn't have them at all and for all the world looks like it never has had them. There are no marks or torn up patches of the felt lining to suggest there has ever been any clips along that groove.

My Cars
    92 735iL (12/1991)
    I couldn't find a part number for the clip. This generic clip with 3M adhesive could work though: https://www.amazon.com/iSaddle-Adhes.../dp/B00IYH82TC

My Cars
    '92 740iL + '85 M635CSi
    Quote Originally Posted by Cactuar View Post
    I couldn't find a part number for the clip. This generic clip with 3M adhesive could work though: https://www.amazon.com/iSaddle-Adhes.../dp/B00IYH82TC
    I think I have a better solution! I've recently had my headliner out fixing the sagging cloth. As part of that process I had to buy a full set of brand new sunroof surround support clips. These things snap by design when you remove the headlining - there's no way around it, so you're always up for a complete new set everytime you lower the headlining. I duely bought a full set (16 off I think are required), but when I went to fit them to the newly refurbished headliner panel for reinstallation, I found three of the old clips had in fact not broken or been severely stressed and bent out of shape in the removal/lowering process. They were perfectly good to be reused, so rather than replace perfectly good old ones with new ones, I just left them where they were, meaning I now have three brand new headlining sunroof surround retainer clips that look like this with no job to do and no where to be used.

They're perfect little S-bend shaped clips with jaw/teeth. I reckon these can be fashioned pretty well to replicate what is supposed to be there to hold the cable in the slot! A perfect little use for excess clips with no purpose left over from a previous job.