Thread: Electric Troubleshooting Manual for 1980 BMW 635

My Cars
    10/1980 635 Manual

Electric Troubleshooting Manual for 1980 BMW 635

Hi there,
    I'm a Bavarian based owner of a BMW 635, manufactured 10/1980 with manual transmission and am at the moment trying to get it running again. As I'm not the type of guy who
    loves electrical problems, I'm at the moment not in the happiest state as there are some problems interfering so that I decided to check the electric side of my baby from the scratch.

Searching for electrical schemes I found a brilliant pdf of a 'BMW of North America' Publication called "BMW 633 CSi 1983 Electrical Troubleshooting Manual" which helps me a lot.

As my local BMW dealer is not this motivated to help owners of ancient bmws, I'd like to ask whether you in the forum know whether there does exist a similar Manual for 1980 BMW 635ers??

I intentionally searched and bought the car as I liked the combination of the real 70's motor M90 with the beginning Motronic era but recognized that the documentation is not this 'rich' as this specific combination
    was only built for 2 years...

So if someone has a link for an overview about the publications for that specific period of time, I'd be very grateful...

Thank you!!

My Cars
    '86 635CSi, '08 128i
    Welcome! I don't believe there is such a document in an electronic format. No doubt it exists in OEM BMW workshop literature, but I've never had luck finding copies. We did have a member here with a hard copy, but I've lost track of that conversation. I had a very similar problem with my early '81 E12-chassis 633CSi. Mine ran the US-spec Motronic 1.0. I just used the chassis parts of the '82 E23 workshop manual and the engine parts of the '83 E24 ETM. Admittedly, that's not the best solution but it worked out pretty well for me. Did you ask over at BigCoupe? They have a huge depth of knowledge there, you couldn't go wrong IMHO.

You're lucky to have one of those cars...they are rare and desirable, built during a really great era at BMW. I've always thought of them as M-cars, basically a two-door E12 M535i easily optioned out with most of the same M-Tech goodies. They're almost a secret, really only familiar to the E24 community.

Post some pics!

My Cars
    10/1980 635 Manual
    Hi Dave,
    sorry for the delay of answering, I'm quite busy these days as I'm working on my mothers' house and garden (best season to work outside...) and whenever I got a slot take the time for the 635er...
    Thank you for the answer, I just had the idea, because I found the 633 Troubleshooting Manual so good, but I also keep on working with some different electrical schemes 'in the surroundings' of my BMW, means E12 528, E23 with Motronic etc.,
    so I'll manage to get it running again. But I'll try it at BigCoupe, didn't have that one on the screen!!

I'm quite lucky with my car (when I'm driving...), I bought it 13 years ago and intentionally searched for the 6 with the M90 engine (in Europe 78-82) and Motronic (from 10/80 to 82), means in my words a real 70ies race motor with the first Motronic-controlled motor. I like the characteristics of the motor very much, the changes from 82 ongoing were not good for the character of the car.
    Besides I found the car with my wished colour-combination, arktisblau outside and leather 'pergament' inside with manul Recaro seats and no A/C Clima, so not too much superflu buzz but a real nice end of the 70ies Coupé...
    The disadvantage: I restored at age of 18 some VW bugs and was fed up with 'rust renovation', so that -the first E24 tending to rust quite fast- I chose a re-import from Italy, so that the kilometers were surely not real, means that I'd have to rework the engine to be safe when playing a bit more intense with the M90 on the road.
    No joke, I have no pics to share at this moment, the ones I took years ago are on the solid disc in the town I live, but as I'm in garden hell in Mummy's town, I cannot post any...

So, I'll do my very best to get some photos and post them, thank you for your hints!! Have a nice summer for the moment!!

My Cars
    88m5,2015 Silverado
    I MAY still have the complete blue manual on this car actually. What is the current problem. I'm sure that Bert,Todd and a few of us can help diagnose any issues you are having