Thread: 1998 528i m52 bmw Head gasket

My Cars
    1998 528i bmw

1998 528i m52 bmw Head gasket

I’m working on an e39 1998 528i with an m52 engine. The car overheated and started blowing white smoke when I turned it off. Mixed cooland with oil and what not. Took it apart and I had a crack in the cylinder head on piston 4. I’m getting a different block that was milled and shaven approximately .006 inches. However, now I’m having issues finding the correct head gasket for the job. I used all data while at school and it states that if the cylinder head was machined I’d need a gasket .3 mm thicker. So do I need a thicker gasket and am I supposed to use a multilayered steel gasket or a composite? And what brand is best???? Please help. I got my car last year July and it failed in January and couldn’t fix it due to the winter and no garage. It’s my only car. Need to finish it soon for school! Mileage was 227k. Drove really good however. Just put new tires, shocks, and driveshaft accessories.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    Why are you replacing the block if the head is cracked?

Here is info on a thicker gasket: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...th-lid/2QfgmBc Scroll down about half way.

Perhaps your local BMW dealer parts department can help you get one.
    Last edited by edjack; 07-18-2018 at 12:49 AM.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    1998 528i bmw
    My bad! I meant to say replacing the cylinder head. The block is cast iron and looks fine hopefully. But yes that’s exactly it! But as for the gasket, I now know I have to get the thicker one. But does it have to be a multi steel layered one or composite? Idk which one to use

- - - Updated - - -

And true, although I found a Victor Reinz one online at rock auto. But still idk whether to use mls or composite. And I called the dealer and they said about 150 for a gasket. But I forgot to ask for the thickness

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    I have done a head gasket on an M52TU (aluminum block and head). 0.3m is 12 1000's of an inch. your head was milled 6 1000's. you could probably get by with the standard, thinner gasket, but it is recommended to go with the thicker gasket, which is 0.3mm thicker. My head was milled 3 1000's and my machinist just told me to use the standard gasket.

The Victor Reinz head gaskets do not have the best rep. I suggest you use an Elring thicker gasket which I believe comes only in one material. It is what I used and is fine.

My Cars
    '94 325i, '97 528i
    Based on your statements, I'd use the stock size composite gasket. You'll get a minor bump in compression, but no other ill effects. If you had more machined off (say .008"), I'd choose the thicker 2.05mm gasket. I'd also stay away from MLS unless you've made modifications that will require it.

A quick check online showsed the OEM stock 1.75mm gasket at $130 and the 2.05mm gasket at $170.

I'll echo a preference for the Elring gasket over VR. I also know that sometime you have to use whats readily available. I'm currently putting a VR gasket on an M50 that I'm in a time crunch to get running. If / when it fails, I'll replace it properly.

James

My Cars
    1998 528i bmw
    So basically use an elring gasket that could be the standard or thicker version. But I could use the thicker one to be safe. Sounds great honestly I appreciate it. I thought victor reinz was good bc they say it manufactured for Mercedes before. But if elring is better when it comes to real world application then I’ll use that. Any suggestions on the headbolts that I should use? I found that there are different lengths and now I have no idea what lengths I need

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by effduration View Post
    I have done a head gasket on an M52TU (aluminum block and head). 0.3m is 12 1000's of an inch. your head was milled 6 1000's. you could probably get by with the standard, thinner gasket, but it is recommended to go with the thicker gasket, which is 0.3mm thicker. My head was milled 3 1000's and my machinist just told me to use the standard gasket.

The Victor Reinz head gaskets do not have the best rep. I suggest you use an Elring thicker gasket which I believe comes only in one material. It is what I used and is fine.
    Also, you mentioned you did a head gasket on an all aluminum engine. I’m assuming the gasket you used was the composite one. Would it also apply to my engine which is aluminum head and cast iron block?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jmc1590 View Post
    Based on your statements, I'd use the stock size composite gasket. You'll get a minor bump in compression, but no other ill effects. If you had more machined off (say .008"), I'd choose the thicker 2.05mm gasket. I'd also stay away from MLS unless you've made modifications that will require it.

A quick check online showsed the OEM stock 1.75mm gasket at $130 and the 2.05mm gasket at $170.

I'll echo a preference for the Elring gasket over VR. I also know that sometime you have to use whats readily available. I'm currently putting a VR gasket on an M50 that I'm in a time crunch to get running. If / when it fails, I'll replace it properly.

James
    What do you mean by a minor bump in Compression? Is that bad? And alright I really wanted to see which to use, I wasn’t sure if mls was required or not but my car is stock so then I will use the composite gasket. Will the same bump in compression occur with the thicker 2.05 mm gasket? Also, if you have any advice on what headbolts I could use I’d appreciate it. I found that there are different lengths and now I’m confused on what length to use.

My Cars
    03 540i, 04 X3, 00 328i
    For my M62TU rebuild the heads got resurfaced with a similar amount that came off, and I’m planning to use normal size gaskets. Whatever amount this is upping the compression is probably not a problem, at least with premium gas.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    These engines have knock sensors. If there is ping, the DME will back off on the timing.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    It is worthwhile understanding the differences between the M52 and M52TU, but I honestly don't know the answer to your question. My Elring gasket was a 2-piece steel with rubber. I would just you go to ECS tuning, RMEuropean, FCPEuro or some other reputable bmw-oriented parts seller and sell the one they recommend for your model after checking several vendors.

I have used Elring head bolts in my head gasket job with good results. I would probably avoid VR and AJUSA but would try something other than Genuine OEM. Be careful: there are many reports on-line of non-OEM head bolts arriving warped. Roll them across a table before you install them.

My Cars
    1998 528i bmw
    Quote Originally Posted by edjack View Post
    These engines have knock sensors. If there is ping, the DME will back off on the timing.
    What’s ping and DME???

- - - Updated - - -

It is worthwhile understanding the differences between the M52 and M52TU, but I honestly don't know the answer to your question. My Elring gasket was a 2-piece steel with rubber. I would just you go to ECS tuning, RMEuropean, FCPEuro or some other reputable bmw-oriented parts seller and sell the one they recommend for your model after checking several vendors.

I have used Elring head bolts in my head gasket job with good results. I would probably avoid VR and AJUSA but would try something other than Genuine OEM. Be careful: there are many reports on-line of non-OEM head bolts arriving warped. Roll them across a table before you install them.
    Alright sounds good and then I’ll try to stick to elring and those sites as well. And really? I had no idea people had those issues with head bolts. But sounds good I’ll look into again and see what happens. I’m currently waiting on my cylinder head so I’ll try finding the gaskets meanwhile which I’ve been trying to do but it has proven more complicated than I expected

My Cars
    99 M3
    FYI - Head bolts are one time use, as they are torque to yield bolts. Torque is applied to all the bolts then they are tightened an additional number of degrees past the original value.

“Ping” is pre-ignition or detonation which is a condition that is monitored via two knock-sensors and reported to the DME (Electronic Control Unit), which backs of ignition timing if it senses ‘ping’ or ‘knock’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1998 528i bmw
    Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    FYI - Head bolts are one time use, as they are torque to yield bolts. Torque is applied to all the bolts then they are tightened an additional number of degrees past the original value.

“Ping” is pre-ignition or detonation which is a condition that is monitored via two knock-sensors and reported to the DME (Electronic Control Unit), which backs of ignition timing if it senses ‘ping’ or ‘knock’.

Thanks! I get it now and I did end up doing the job and luckily everything has gone well. The car is back in running order so I’m happy to say the least. I did use brand new genuine bolts, but as for those knock sensors, us it necessary to replace them at higher mileage?

My Cars
    99 M3
    Only need to replace them IF you get fault codes for them or you can see the boss developing cracks.

My Cars
    1998 528i bmw
    Only need to replace them IF you get fault codes for them or you can see the boss developing cracks.

The boss developing cracks? What’s that? But okay sounds good brother 👌 I did the cylinder head and HG replacement and all is well. So thanks!

My Cars
    1998 528i bmw

Thanks for the info! I ended up doing the job using a genuine HG which was branded VR but came directly from BMW along with genuine bolts and washers, although I don’t think they had to be replaced I replaced them anyway. I got the gasket from FCP Euro and it was the 2.05 mm thickness one. I’ve driven my car around 2.5k miles since the job with 3 oil changes in between and everything is working out great! So thanks for the knowledge! It is very well appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by edjack View Post
    I ended up doing the job as you can read from my other comments with all your guys’ help. My cat has been working very well ever since. So thanks for the info! Appreciate it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jmc1590 View Post

James
    I did end up going with a thicker gasket, and ironically I ordered a genuine gasket from FCP euro which resulted being a VR gasket from the BMW dealer. I’m really hoping that this bmw VR gasket is up to the quality standards that it should be since you haven’t had good experiences with them. Even so, everything has been working out fairly well and I’m happy to see my car up and running again. Thanks for all your help and info!

My Cars
    1998 528i bmw
    Quote Originally Posted by vinyldude View Post
    For my M62TU rebuild the heads got resurfaced with a similar amount that came off, and I’m planning to use normal size gaskets. Whatever amount this is upping the compression is probably not a problem, at least with premium gas.
    Did you end up doing that exactly? How did it work out for you? I ended up using a thicker gasket (2.05mm.) branded VR from the Bmw dealer. My head was machined and my block wasn’t since I believe the cast iron block doesn’t warp like the aluminum blocks do. I just cleaned it up really good with some straight razors and other materials. I used a remanufactured head and got it machined twice since I scratched up a decent amount the first time when trying to get the head on the car. The second time I used long sticks sticking out from the dowel sleeves to help me guide the head on the block and worked much better. Needless to say my car has been working very well and I’m grateful for all the advice you guys shared with me to help me achieve it! Hopefully your project turned out well also, if not better, and thanks again for your advice and knowledge. Appreciate it!

My Cars
    1997 528i/5, 1997 528i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Young 23 View Post
    Did you end up doing that exactly? How did it work out for you? I ended up using a thicker gasket (2.05mm.) branded VR from the Bmw dealer. My head was machined and my block wasn’t since I believe the cast iron block doesn’t warp like the aluminum blocks do. I just cleaned it up really good with some straight razors and other materials. I used a remanufactured head and got it machined twice since I scratched up a decent amount the first time when trying to get the head on the car. The second time I used long sticks sticking out from the dowel sleeves to help me guide the head on the block and worked much better. Needless to say my car has been working very well and I’m grateful for all the advice you guys shared with me to help me achieve it! Hopefully your project turned out well also, if not better, and thanks again for your advice and knowledge. Appreciate it!
    Sounds like you did the right thing. I also used a BMW (Victor Reinz branded) HG from the dealer in the +.3MM thickness. After speaking with my BMW Master Tech I was advised that anytime a dealer removes a cylinder head they MUST use the thicker HG when reassembling. There is enough pressure in the engine that if you do not, over time you'll have issues.

Glad you had such success!
    Wade

My Cars
    1998 528i bmw
    Quote Originally Posted by Aubergine View Post
    Sounds like you did the right thing. I also used a BMW (Victor Reinz branded) HG from the dealer in the +.3MM thickness. After speaking with my BMW Master Tech I was advised that anytime a dealer removes a cylinder head they MUST use the thicker HG when reassembling. There is enough pressure in the engine that if you do not, over time you'll have issues.

Glad you had such success!
    Wish I had a BMW master tech for advice, but at least your relaying his message on here and for that I’m grateful. However, if that was truly the case, then I’m glad I did what I did. But yes thank you! I’m really happy about it too. Best of luck brother!

My Cars
    99 M3

1998 528i m52 bmw Head gasket

Quote Originally Posted by Aubergine View Post
    After speaking with my BMW Master Tech I was advised that anytime a dealer removes a cylinder head they MUST use the thicker HG when reassembling. There is enough pressure in the engine that if you do not, over time you'll have issues.
    LOL!! What?
    Use the stock HG unless you had significant material removed from head to get it flat.

Last edited by bluptgm3; 04-27-2019 at 06:13 PM.

My Cars
    1998 528i bmw
    LOL!! What?

Do you disagree? Lol. What are your thoughts?