Thread: Passenger Window only goes up if button held used to go with one click

My Cars
    BMW 540i

Passenger Window only goes up if button held used to go with one click

So i have noticed when you tap the button once on the drivers side the passenger window will not go up without being held down, same issue when windows are open and you turn the key to lock the car all windows go up except passenger.

Is there a module reset needed?

Thanks
    Frank
    1997 540 / 6 Sport, 2001 540 staggered rims
    Suspension = Bilstein B8 Performance Plus Struts, Xeon headlights & fog lights, LED tail lights, Evo short shifter, Custom air engine intake, 3 inch dual exhaust hollow cats,NGK iridium spark plugs, removed -clutch delay valve

My Cars
    1989 325is, 1995 M3
    I know on GM cars you hold the button down for 10 seconds, then up for 10 seconds.

If you ever reset battery it resets that for some reason so I have to do it any time I unplug the battery. I know this is probably completely unrelated since I am talking about my Cadillac but worth a shot I guess? Lol.

My Cars
    BMW 540i
    No luck on that, i did notice today it goes down with one click but not up with one click.
    Suspension = Bilstein B8 Performance Plus Struts, Xeon headlights & fog lights, LED tail lights, Evo short shifter, Custom air engine intake, 3 inch dual exhaust hollow cats,NGK iridium spark plugs, removed -clutch delay valve

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i M Sport
    Does the window go all the way up if you one touch the window button on the passenger's door? Although from the sounds of it, it also doesn't work with comfort closing so I guess you can maybe rule that out.

I would take a look at the anti-trap feature, if it detects something then it will not auto go up, and you MUST hold the button to put the window up to override it. This would explain the goes down with one touch, but not up I think.

As the graphic states; the passenger window is controlled by the passenger door module - maybe you need a new passenger door module? Or (more likely imo) you need to take a look and see if the anti trap wire has come loose / disconnected. I've heard that it is a problem occasionally as the cars keep aging and they become loose / disconnected. Especially more likely if you've opened up the door recently for whatever reasons (window regulator replacement / repair possibly?)

My Cars
    2003 540s, 2000 740s
    As 1832alex mentioned, have you had the door card off the passenger door recently?
    If so, it's very easy to accidentally swap the anti-trap 2 wire connector with the speaker in the door frame 2 wire connector.
    A quick & simple way to verify is to check to see if you can hear music coming out of that speaker on the passenger side door frame. If not, and that door card has been off before, I'd bet those two connectors were put back together incorrectly.
    <== Steptronic Sealbeach740
    2000 740i sport: 74k Green/Tan chrome MPars, clear corners, quad brake lights, AIC hi-beams, Hoen fogs, 16x9 screen, MKIV, TFT LCD screen in back, license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, iPod audio/video (CDC/iPod audio switching, iPod video on 16x9 screen), Basslink, gauge rings, ///M pedals, switched steptronic +/- shifting mode, E46 paddle shifter steering wheel, Dinan engine & tranny software upgrade, DDEs controlled via Euro fog light switch, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, windows up/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540i sport: 81k, Sterling grey/grey, MKIV Nav, PDC & CWP - Added license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, paddle shift steering wheel, windows up/sunroof close via remote, Akebono's, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, quad brake lights, iPod audio via AUX mode/video via 16x9 screen, BMW TV tuner, ///M pedals & gauge rings.

My Cars
    BMW 540i
    No issues with passenger speaker.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Franktea View Post
    No issues with passenger speaker.
    Have you removed the door panel yet to check and see if the anti trap wire has been disconnected?
    2003 530i M Sport [Black Sapphire Metallic & Sand Interior]

IMG_1075 by Alex Wilson Photography, on Flickr

My Cars
    BMW 540i
    I have not, is it possible the master main switch on the drivers side could be the the issue? Any way to rule that out?

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Franktea View Post
    I have not, is it possible the master main switch on the drivers side could be the the issue? Any way to rule that out?
    I believe that when the master module for the passenger door is dead the window will not work at all. I'm not positive about that but I am pretty sure about it.

If I were you I would just pull the door panel off already and look for the anti trap wire - which is probably disconnected. It is the one thing that makes the most sense given your problem here.

It's just a few screws and then some plastic clips. Not too hard.

My Cars
    BMW 540i
    Ok so took off the door panel, dont see any connections that look incorrect, and advice see pic below.

Wires hanging are from light and door window switch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    The anti-trap wiring harness connector is closer to the A-Pillar. Have you lifted the stuff in that corner of the door/A pillar area to see if the 3 pin connector is hooked up or if it is corroded etc?

Also, have you tested the window to see if the anti-trap feature is working or not? To test it...take something sacrificial like a stuffed animal, pillow, or rolled up newspaper or magazine... then place it in the path of the window...push the UP button. As the window rises...it should stop and drop a inch or so when the object in the path of the window begins to get squeezed by the window.

If the window doesn't stop and back down...then your anti-trap feature is the issue of your one-touch not working. WHY? That would still need to be determined by more diagnostics or deduction. As stated previously and in the info posted above (about anti-trap)...the one-touch up will not work if the anti-trap feature is disabled.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 08-20-2018 at 01:43 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    The anti-trap wiring harness connector is closer to the A-Pillar. Have you lifted the stuff in that corner of the door/A pillar area to see if the 3 pin connector is hooked up or if it is corroded etc?

Also, have you tested the window to see if the anti-trap feature is working or not? To test it...take something sacrificial like a stuffed animal, pillow, or rolled up newspaper or magazine... then place it in the path of the window...push the UP button. As the window rises...it should stop and drop a inch or so when the object in the path of the window begins to get squeezed by the window.

If the window doesn't stop and back down...then your anti-trap feature is the issue of your one-touch not working. WHY? That would still need to be determined by more diagnostics or deduction. As stated previously and in the info posted above (about anti-trap)...the one-touch up will not work if the anti-trap feature is disabled.
    The anti trap feature is only active when the window is going auto up. If you hold it down the whole way (which he has to do as he said one touch isn't working), the anti trap feature is ignored / disabled.

@OP I believe the connection is behind the vapor barrier.