Thread: Headlights/Taillights Staying On

My Cars
    '14 550/M, '03 540/M

Headlights/Taillights Staying On

This has happened 3 times now since I got the car early April 2018 (3 months ago).

scenario:
    It's a bright sunny day, I back into the garage and shut off the car. Noted that headlights and taillights are both on. Headlight switch is in the "Automatic" position.
    Hitting the lock button extinguishes the dash lights as it should, but the headlights and taillights still remain lit. Only turning the Headlight switch to the "Off" position turns them off.

Note: It's a bright sunny day so they should have never come on to begin with. Also happened when the car was parked in the driveway and not in the garage.
    Last edited by f10_M550i; 07-17-2018 at 02:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Apparently this is a common issue with the F10, as I've seen quite a few threads on this. No real resolution was listed other than it being taken to the dealer. Other members will likely chime in with their expertise.
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    '14 550/M, '03 540/M
    thanks for the feedback. It's not really a serious problem, other than just being annoying and a possible battery drain if not noticed. I plan to take it into the dealer eventually.

My Cars
    2007 750i BMW; 2003 Z4 3.0 BMW; 2002 Lexus LS430;
    My lights come on when I pull into my garage (it's dark enough to trigger them on) but when I open the car door all lights are extinguished. You didn't pull up on the high beam lever by any chance did you? That would trigger the lights to come on for 40 seconds or so before turning off.

My Cars
    2003 bmw e39(525i )
    Hey guys my 2003 bmw 525i e39 bright lights on the odometer wouldn't go out. All of a sudden my lights started coming on randomly and my bright lights would flicker on and off. I figured i got to do something before i hurt someone. I thought my stall was going out so i did some research and in them meantime i come to realize if i turned my bright on i would still flicker but it would not be on i had to unplug my bright lights also. It was starting to be a bit annoying. So i did some more research and all i was seeing is that my lcm might be going out or damaged like i was reading in some posts. So i still couldn't figure it out because my lcm had none of those features but i still went out and got a lcm i got it from a junkyard maybe about $40.and during that time i needed a need odometer because i could read it anymore because the electronic part the words had faded out so i got a odometer to. So i put the odometer on and come so happened when i put the odometer on i hit the stall and jackpot my headlights wasn't on anymore. I gave it a couple of days and my light haven't been coming on by themselves. My issue was fixed so i guess tomorrow i will go get my money back for the lcm

My Cars
    '14 550/M, '03 540/M
    this turned out to be a radar detector power cord (installed by the previous owner) which was partially blocking the light sensor which is on the front of the rear-view mirror (facing the windshield).
    Last edited by f10_M550i; 01-06-2019 at 09:50 AM.