Thread: Steering Issues

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi Auto

Steering Issues

Hi all, 1995 525i 5spd 279k

I recently posted about my front end experience but, I wanted to start another post for the reader's sake. I replaced the thrust arms and tie rods recently. Everything was tightened down under load, including alignment.
    I drove the car to work yesterday. Everything seem ok. When I got in the car after work, I was trying to reverse out of the parking spot but, I had to turn the steering wheel to straighten the wheels. As I was turning the wheels I heard a grinding sound. Never heard the sound before and I know it wasn't the power steering. It sounded metallic. Anyways, I drove home and everything seem ok but, on my way to work this morning, it was raining pretty heavy and the front wheels wanted to go wherever it wanted to go. I had to drive 30mph on a 55mph road because it felt as the wheels were sliding off the road. I guess what I'm trying to say is, it feels as if the wheels are floppy as I'm driving at higher speeds.
    Any idea what is going on? That was a scary ride and my tires are in great shape, plenty of tread and not worn.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Alignment, eh? My guess is that ties rod links weren't clamped down or they were stripped. My thought is that the threads pulled out with the low speed maneuver where effort is high. I'd not be driving this thing until checked.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi Auto
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Alignment, eh? My guess is that ties rod links weren't clamped down or they were stripped. My thought is that the threads pulled out with the low speed maneuver where effort is high. I'd not be driving this thing until checked.
    Thanks for the response. I never thought of that. Unfortunately I drove the car to work this morning. I have no choice but, to drive it back home. It drove fine on dry pavement but, I will drive it gently on the way home and inspect the tie rods, if I make it home in one piece.

Thanks!