Thread: Hardtop mounting issue

My Cars
    2001 M roadster

Hardtop mounting issue

I am in the process of fitting a newly acquired hardtop. The issue is that I can not get either of the two locking handles on the top to turn more than half way back. I have adjusted both spikes so that less of the spike fits in the mounting hole thinking that this could lessen the tension needed to compress the hardtop rubber molding. The gap on the back edge of the top along the truck area is slightly over 1/4” before the locking levers are turned

The leading edge of the top that fits on the windshield appears to be correct and I can attach both bolts. The top alignes up correctly, so I think, with the window and edges.

Any suggestions on how I can get the locking levers completely turned and locked?

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    It sounds like you have the rear adjustment way too low. I can stick my fingers through the gap on mine when it is sitting on the pins before turning them.

It's a bit of a process to get the HT fitted correctly, but it does make a big difference in terms of rattles and wind noise versus a poorly aligned hardtop.

You need to follow the adjustment procedures in the Hard Top Fitting Instructions PDF on this page: https://zroadster.org/articles/bmw-z...96-to-2002.74/

My Cars
    2001 M roadster
    The Hardtop Fitting Instrucions PDF does not cover the spike height issue. However I agree with your comment on the rear adjustment probably being too low. I have the spikes adjusted so only that 3 threads on the are showing below the support. What is the norm?

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by RalRick View Post
    The Hardtop Fitting Instrucions PDF does not cover the spike height issue. However I agree with your comment on the rear adjustment probably being too low. I have the spikes adjusted so only that 3 threads on the are showing below the support. What is the norm?
    The PDF does cover the HT height which is adjusted with the spikes. It references mounting gauges that are inserted at the rear (these are NLA). You are supposed to put the gauges in and then turn the handles on the HT and adjust the height until you can get a .2mm feeler gauge between the HT and the mounting gauge.

The gauges were 6.2mm thick, so the total distance at the place shown in the instructions should be 6.4mm.

I 3D printed a mounting gauge when I adjusted mine, but you could make one many ways. You just need a small block that is 6.2mm thick.

My Cars
    '02 Z3 3.0i 5 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by pine1000 View Post
    It sounds like you have the rear adjustment way too low. I can stick my fingers through the gap on mine when it is sitting on the pins before turning them.
    I agree.

My Cars
    2001 M roadster
    Is the 6.25mm clearance a measurement before I tightened down the levers or a after the fact measurement?

My Cars
    2001 M roadster
    Ok - found the spike height and clearance segment in the instrucions. Will create a couple spacers and try again. Thanks