Thread: Fan Clutch Question - SOunding like a BUS !

My Cars
    1997 328i c M trim

Fan Clutch Question - SOunding like a BUS !

So after "hibernating" for 2 + years i repleced the motor.
    Now the Car sounds like the proverbial "BUS". I think the Fan clutch has seen better days.
    So here it Question:
    1) Does it tend to "stick" after the car has not been driven for a long time?
    I put maybe 60 miles on the card since new motor went in - and the Fan Noise is like "LOUD"
    Should I put on a few more miles and see if it loosens up when cold ? Or just swap out the clutch?
    2) Price Point
    Wow - there are big variations in Price!
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I got this one ordered on Amazon for $30 - but there are really pricey ones up there too.
    Will this CHINESEIUM one be good enough ? Had some fairly positive reviews.

Is there a better one ?
    …. And i know you get what you pay for . this car will not see heavy mileage however.
    97 328iC - Black W Champaign interior - M Trim inside and out - It is SWEET !
    This car is AWESOME !!!

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Take a look at the link below. We would recommend swapping one made by Sachs, Behr, or Meyle. Please let us know if you have any questions.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog...pg5.htm#item14
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    1997 BMW E36 323i
    Best to use one of the better brands, like the ones listed above.. The Chinese ones may work for a while, but, in general, die way too soon. It's a bit of a complex product to get 100% right, and Chinese quality control often doesn't suffice, IF the design was any good in the first place.

Or, go for the fan delete mod, and just remove the fan clutch, and install the lower temperature (80/88 degrees C) temperature switch in the radiator. Then the aux fan will do the cooling work. In many cases, installing just the lower temp switch will do (like in mine), but best to check out the full mod (lower temp thermostat, water wetter, etc), depending a bit on the climate you're in..
    Last edited by ed323i; 07-18-2018 at 05:22 PM.

1997 E36 BMW 323i
    (European) 275k km (171k miles), with following small mods:

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Did you read the reviews on that Amazon listing!

I would do the fan delete if I were you, read up on it. I've done it and haven't had a single issue. The only thing is I have an automatic and want the lower part of the rad to get some flow when idling at a light, but I do have lower fan switch that does work well. If you have an automatic I would put a small puller fan at the bottom of the rad and make it run at a low speed (along with the FDM mod).
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".