Thread: 2000 e39 528i...abs coding problem....

My Cars
    2000 528i...e39

2000 e39 528i...abs coding problem....

never had any problems scanning the car at all....
    abs unit went to programma in florida for repair and upon return and installation will not
    allow scanner to connect...many attempts with different scanners. will not connect...

any thoughts.?

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528iA
    Did they send you back the same unit or a different one? If not the one that came with the car I believe it needs to be coded to the car by the dealer.
    2000 528i sport
    EMP Stewart water pump
    Dice iPod adapter
    Alpine amplifiers
    MB Quart speakers
    MTX BGE12 subwoofer
    AudioControl EQL equalizer

My Cars
    2000 528i...e39
    thanks for the reply...they sent back the same unit...i will seek out a dealer for the proper coding...any dealer..?

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    mmmmm.... yeah. dealers barely know dick about programming and coding most of the time. if its the same unit then it should require zero coding. of course its possible they swapped a new board into your module case under the covers but if the place doesn't suck they should have been able to clone your car coding over to it. and as long as its the proper E39 module the only coding differences are super minor for drivetrain, there's no special VIN coding or anything that needs to be done and honestly I think the ABS module is mostly plug and play across E39' (well as long as its the right PN aka older ASC vs DSC etc. etc.)

regardless of ALL that, there's no reason that the unit shouldn't be recognizable if you could connect to it before. nothing magic about programming/coding makes it 'visible or not visible'. it could be totally wrong coding but still should appear to a coding device/software.

there's a lotta crappy fly by night module rebuilders (honestly I think a lotta them probably just swap junkyard guts into your case...), is this place credible? BBA-Reman is where you should have gone, but, water under the bridge.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    Plus 1 on BBA-Remain
    they provided a great service, constant information, easy repair process, bench tested, and shipped my original part back FedEx. Three days turn around including shipping!
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    mmmmm.... yeah. dealers barely know dick about programming and coding most of the time. if its the same unit then it should require zero coding. of course its possible they swapped a new board into your module case under the covers but if the place doesn't suck they should have been able to clone your car coding over to it. and as long as its the proper E39 module the only coding differences are super minor for drivetrain, there's no special VIN coding or anything that needs to be done and honestly I think the ABS module is mostly plug and play across E39' (well as long as its the right PN aka older ASC vs DSC etc. etc.)

regardless of ALL that, there's no reason that the unit shouldn't be recognizable if you could connect to it before. nothing magic about programming/coding makes it 'visible or not visible'. it could be totally wrong coding but still should appear to a coding device/software.

there's a lotta crappy fly by night module rebuilders (honestly I think a lotta them probably just swap junkyard guts into your case...), is this place credible? BBA-Reman is where you should have gone, but, water under the bridge.
    This ^^^

I swapped my ABS module with a rebuilt one my BMW parts guy sold me for $80 (it was rebuilt by module masters). When you swap in a new / working ABS module, you're dashboard "BRAKE" and "ABS" lights should immediately go away, but you will be left with the traction control light glowing orange until it is coded to the car. This is a 'safety' feature BMW implemented to make it so you can't swap in a 3 or 7 series module causing the traction control program to act up incorrectly.

@OP

1. How does your dash look before and after the module swap/repair?

2. When you say you don't see it when you scan the car - What are you scanning with? An INPA cable? BMW Scanner 1.4.0? Etc?

3. I'm sure you've already done this, but if not; have you tried re-seating the ABS module 84 pin connector and making sure the contacts are clean and everything is making good electrical contact?

I'm just trying to determine if you have a badly repaired module or a wiring issue etc. If you still have the ABS 'trifecta' then I would say you likely got a bad repair as a working module regardless of coded / uncoded will ONLY make the traction ASC / DSC light turn on in your cluster.

Also, when you're scanning your car with whatever program, does it see the car's other modules? Is the ABS module the only one missing when you scan it?

But, as GG has already stated; if it is the same module you sent off, then it should not require any coding. Make sure it is the older ASC module if your car has the ASC button instead of DSC. BUT - Even if it is the incorrect one the ABS should still work again leaving only the traction light lit up in the cluster and the ABS and BRAKE lights should go out.

My Cars
    2000 528i...e39
    thank you....EVERYONE WHO RESPONDED....HOW DO I CONTACT BBA REMAN..?

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by robert...s View Post
    thank you....EVERYONE WHO RESPONDED....HOW DO I CONTACT BBA REMAN..?
    Post more in all caps. That should do it.

Definitely don’t google BBA Reman. I’m sure that’d be a waste of time.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Post more in all caps. That should do it.

Definitely don’t google BBA Reman. I’m sure that’d be a waste of time.
    Please tell me these links aren't banned lmao.

@OP Try this: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=BBA+Reman

Also OP I would recommend proving the info to people that have posted questions for you.
    2003 530i M Sport [Black Sapphire Metallic & Sand Interior]

IMG_1075 by Alex Wilson Photography, on Flickr