Thread: changing Motor in my E39

My Cars
    "92 bmw 525, "03 bmw530i

Question changing Motor in my E39

I have exhausted all my patience trying to get this M54 running. I bought a donor car .same year, same model (2003 530i) with a running engine and transmission. My question to anyone who knows is can I change the engine only ? or do I need change engine and tranny ? I have the key and the DME for the donor. What do I need to do to get this beauty on the road. It is immaculate inside and out with just over 100K miles. Please I need to know what i`m getting myself into.Thanks.George

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528i
    I believe the 03' e39 i6 have either 4l40e or 5l40e transmission. Best way to find out is a bit of research. Not exactly sure

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    What's wrong with the engine in your car?

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    You can swap just the engine but run last 7 digits of VIN through Real OEM to see that the transmissions are the same.

Assuming you are using jack stands and not a lift, it is still easier IMO to pull engine and trans together. If the donor has a known good Trans, I might install donor engine and trans together and never separate them, change the trans fluid (follow the directions explicitly) and off i would go. Keep your original trans as a backup.

The steps of engine swap are well documented (written and videos) but there are a couple of ways to do it. Use the ORIGINAL, not the donor DME. you can use either wiring harness unless coils are different. They changed coils during 2003. Use the right one. I would keep the donor harness on its engine when I pulled and just plug it into the recepient's DME.

-I pull the hood off and leave the front end on an intact - you can try putting hood in service position - near vertical
    -Pull radiator out and hoses.
    -use a load leveler on the hoist- a must if you pull engine with trans - position the adjuster towards the car
    -I use a front to back strap on engine/trans with my hoist and another strap from exhaust to hoist to keep it from rolling towards exhaust
    -pull AC condenser, lay to side, and keep AC system closed
    -pull power steering pump, lay to side, and keep it closed
    - If you undo transmission in car, take time with bellhousing bolts and get proper e-torx sockets.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by effduration View Post
    Use the ORIGINAL, not the donor DME.
    THIS. Don't dick around w/ DME swap as that'll mean keys and locks and EWS swaps etc. and then tamper lights in the cluster etc. etc. etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by edjack View Post
    What's wrong with the engine in your car?
    Good question. Posts=1 clearly he hasn't asked for help on whatever the problems were, unless he's got multiple logins...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    "92 bmw 525, "03 bmw530i
    Hello all you fine folk that responded to my request.
    First to Edjack : It started with a bad head gasket. (I bought the car knowing it had to be changed) After i re assembled everything it would not start. It runs rough and backfires almost blowing the air filter out of the casing. I have changed all the sensors twice..reset the timing 4 times on the vanos..It is right on mark after i roll it over a few times. I get misfire codes that tell me my timing is too far advanced. **11 & **14.
    I havent touched the car since I made the post, Its too darn hot for me to be in that shed ,even with fans. and my wife has her way of getting me to do other stuff for her. Says im too old to be out in that heat..Im a young 74.
    PostChris909:: Thank you . So far the reasearch Ive done tells me I have the same tranny on the donor.
    Actually the donor is a mirror of the good one. The donor had an accident that tore up the right side from head light to gas cap. I will check back in case any one
    Geargrinder::: That answer is one i was looking for. BUT will i need re-coding from the dealer on the DME ?? And will the tranny respond?
    Effduration :: Thanks for the help also: I have an overhead trolley with 6 inch I Beam with a load leveler. I only need remove the rad and air stuff when I start the swap. thanks again. George

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by odesy1330 View Post
    It runs rough and backfires almost blowing the air filter out of the casing. I have changed all the sensors twice..reset the timing 4 times on the vanos..It is right on mark after i roll it over a few times. I get misfire codes that tell me my timing is too far advanced.
    You are almost certain missing something w/ the cam timing. I mean I can't say something else isn't wrong too but given that description I bet you've made some mistake w/ the timing procedure, either your primary and/or secondary chains might be off.
    Who knows perhaps if you get it timed right that engine would run fine.

Did you use a quality timing procedure and tool set like this?
    https://www.germanautosolutions.com/..._tools_diy.php

And... did you clear codes and adaptations in the DME before trying your restarts on the current motor? Its really important to do that with a motor teardown or swap. You should always clear all codes and adaptations before trying to start. I've seen engines do weird things when the adaptations got way far off, and would not 'fix themselves' but if they are reset the engine runs fine. And no, disconnecting the battery and shorting the cables WILL NOT CLEAR CODES OR ADAPTATIONS. This is not 1992. You need a device or software to clear codes and adaptations.

Quote Originally Posted by odesy1330 View Post
    BUT will i need re-coding from the dealer on the DME ?? And will the tranny respond?
    I thought we made it super simple but lets try again:

As long as its a proper same-model engine/tranny, leave all your electronics in place, all will work fine. Don't reprogram or recode anything. Don't swap any DME (ECU) or EGS (TCU) or anything like that. If they were good before they wont' know ANY DIFFERENCE with the new hardware.

However as above - be sure to clear codes & adaptations before trying the restart so the computers are on a 'clean slate'.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)