Thread: M54 ticking noise after beating on it (goes away later), rev limiter question, too.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 Coupe

M54 ticking noise after beating on it (goes away later), rev limiter question, too.

Second time at autocross, the second time it's happened.
    An instructor there was saying that bouncing off the rev limited (on accelerator, not overrev from downshifting) is fine. Really?
    After doing a few runs, there's a ticking sound like a loose valve adjustment. After sufficiently cooling down, and definitely the next day the noise disappears.
    What is this noise and should I be worried?
    (BTW I had my VANOS serviced a few months ago)

My Cars
    z3
    Its fine to hit thr rev limiter

Sounds pretty normal, run a different oil (10w40 is usually good) or top up to max or a little above before autocrossing next time to minimize noise. After sustained high RPM the oil doesnt reach/fill hydraulic lifters as efficiently, causing a little ticking. As long as it returns to sounding normal when cool, its fine

My Cars
    2001 525it
    The more you beat your car, bounce it off the rev limiter the higher risk of something going wrong. Personally I don't like redlining engines regularly. Plus if you look at dyno charts a lot of engines fall off on power and torque before redline or when the limiter is activated. Then of course there's no reason too. Your car will only put up with it this kind of thing for limited amount of time before something breaks.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 Coupe
    The valve tick is normal - as long as it goes away. It used to happen to me after every run at the track. If it bothers you, the quick and not harmful fix is an extra 1/2 qt of oil.
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    1999 2.8 Z3 Coupe
    Arctic Silver

My Cars
    2001 Z3 Coupe
    Thanks all, I appreciate it. There actually is a reason to do it (if going for time) and that's to reduce time--shifting to 3rd and back would dramatically lengthen lap time--considering the dropoff after max torque as getting more speed before hitting the next corner.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    The more you beat your car, bounce it off the rev limiter the higher risk of something going wrong. Personally I don't like redlining engines regularly. Plus if you look at dyno charts a lot of engines fall off on power and torque before redline or when the limiter is activated. Then of course there's no reason too. Your car will only put up with it this kind of thing for limited amount of time before something breaks.
    I mean it goes with use, but its not like just hitting redline is doing something unprecedented. Hitting redline here and there isnt really doing more harm than constant starts throughout the day.

Prolonged running at redline is a different story, as everything is running at high speed and heat etc.

Id argue starting and turning off your car a few times a day is more harmful for engine components than hitting redline once or twice.

My Cars
    98 Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by Henway View Post
    Thanks all, I appreciate it. There actually is a reason to do it (if going for time) and that's to reduce time--shifting to 3rd and back would dramatically lengthen lap time--considering the dropoff after max torque as getting more speed before hitting the next corner.
    Back when I used to autocross occasionally, that's how I knew I was getting faster... I'd hit the rev limiter sooner! Hah.
    96 320i Touring
    98 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    01 PY M Coupe
    96 Z3 1.9 - DASC
    95 318ti Clubsport
    94 Miata M-Edition
    13 smart fortwo

u should hear most s50/52 cars after a 20 min track session......sounds like diesels..lol

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ick+from+track

I had heard lifters get starved from hi g forces and hi rpms.......mine got better w/ overfills......and w/ a baffle......

....anyhew by drive home she was fine

but its sounds soooo bad...lol
    Last edited by jrkoupe; 07-16-2018 at 03:41 PM.