Thread: Rack & pinion replacement part

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i

Rack & pinion replacement part

I was told at my state inspection that I needed to replace my rack and pinion as it was leaking. I tried changing some of the hose clamps but that didn't really help much. PS fluid is still leaking.

1) What's the best way to confirm that r&p is the problem?
    2) Can I get it for cheap from ebay? How's this?

Thanks

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    Im skeptical of eBay parts personally. Rackdoctor.com has decent priced quality units. It could be coming from the lines and not the rack itself though

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '94 325i, '97 528i
    Depends on where it's leaking, and how mechanically inclined you are. If you suspect that the rack seals themselves are failing, a quick check of the boots is a good indicator. Bad seals will often pump fluid into (and past) the boots. If you constantly loose fluid, and your boots are wet, your seals are toast.

Replacements are available thru many sources, including BMW. Changing the seals is not a trivial task, but can be accomplished by the home mechanic. Last time I checked (and purchased), a rack seal kit was ~$80. Compare that to the cost of a remanufactured rack. It may make more sense to purchase a replacement than to repair.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Just buy a rebuilt rack if you're going to DIY it. It's plug and play and not very difficult to do (plenty of rack swap DIY's online). Should also replace the hose which runs from the reservoir to the pump and the reservoir itself at the very least, plus any other damaged/suspect hoses.

If you want to try to fix what you have, pay a good shop to work on it. However, you may end up paying as much or more as it would cost to get a rebuilt rack from somewhere like rackdoctor.

Also, plain old E36 racks (from 96-99 M3 and most other normal E36's) are dirt cheap and everywhere. Nobody wants them. Everyone wants the quicker Z3 and E46 ZHP racks, and those usually end up replacing ordinary E36 racks. You can probably find a working (but not rebuilt) one for next to nothing if you poke around a bit. I think I saw one in the forum here not too long ago for like $50.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by TostitoBandito View Post
    Just buy a rebuilt rack if you're going to DIY it. It's plug and play and not very difficult to do (plenty of rack swap DIY's online). Should also replace the hose which runs from the reservoir to the pump and the reservoir itself at the very least, plus any other damaged/suspect hoses.

If you want to try to fix what you have, pay a good shop to work on it. However, you may end up paying as much or more as it would cost to get a rebuilt rack from somewhere like rackdoctor.

Also, plain old E36 racks (from 96-99 M3 and most other normal E36's) are dirt cheap and everywhere. Nobody wants them. Everyone wants the quicker Z3 and E46 ZHP racks, and those usually end up replacing ordinary E36 racks. You can probably find a working (but not rebuilt) one for next to nothing if you poke around a bit. I think I saw one in the forum here not too long ago for like $50.
    Thanks so much. Is a Z3 rack a straight replacement? If so, I would love to upgrade. Where would I find one?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jmc1590 View Post
    Depends on where it's leaking, and how mechanically inclined you are. If you suspect that the rack seals themselves are failing, a quick check of the boots is a good indicator. Bad seals will often pump fluid into (and past) the boots. If you constantly loose fluid, and your boots are wet, your seals are toast.

Replacements are available thru many sources, including BMW. Changing the seals is not a trivial task, but can be accomplished by the home mechanic. Last time I checked (and purchased), a rack seal kit was ~$80. Compare that to the cost of a remanufactured rack. It may make more sense to purchase a replacement than to repair.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    So I checked and my boot definitely had loose fluid within it. I'm guessing my seals are toast and therefore need to replace my r&p?

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    A Z3 rack is a bolt-on replacement, yes. No modifications required.

Any of the non-M Z3's have the rack you want. The Z3M had the same rack as the 96-99 M3 and the rest of the E36's, so make sure it's not from a M coupe or M roadster. They can be a bit pricey due to their desirability. There was a guy recently in the buy/sell forums here selling a whole bunch of them (non-rebuilt). You can find nice clean rebuilt ones from rackdoctor or maybe detroit axle. Rackdoctor charges $360 plus $150 core (which you won't get back) so $510 total. Detroit Axle has that rack advertised for $243, but offer no warranty unless you send in a core (which you don't have).

I personally bought the E46 ZHP rack for my M3 from rackdoctor. It's a little cheaper than the Z3 rack, fits the same, and has nice heavy/direct feel while being slightly slower than the Z3 rack (but quicker than stock, and linear like the Z3 rack).
    Last edited by TostitoBandito; 07-15-2018 at 01:45 PM.

My Cars
    1997 328i c M trim
    Quote Originally Posted by bonoz View Post
    I was told at my state inspection that I needed to replace my rack and pinion as it was leaking. I tried changing some of the hose clamps but that didn't really help much. PS fluid is still leaking.

1) What's the best way to confirm that r&p is the problem?
    2) Can I get it for cheap from ebay? How's this?

Thanks
    Rackdoctor.com - did that for my E30 few years back . I suggest that

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    This car is AWESOME !!!

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by TostitoBandito View Post
    A Z3 rack is a bolt-on replacement, yes. No modifications required.

Any of the non-M Z3's have the rack you want. The Z3M had the same rack as the 96-99 M3 and the rest of the E36's, so make sure it's not from a M coupe or M roadster. They can be a bit pricey due to their desirability. There was a guy recently in the buy/sell forums here selling a whole bunch of them (non-rebuilt). You can find nice clean rebuilt ones from rackdoctor or maybe detroit axle. Rackdoctor charges $360 plus $150 core (which you won't get back) so $510 total. Detroit Axle has that rack advertised for $243, but offer no warranty unless you send in a core (which you don't have).

I personally bought the E46 ZHP rack for my M3 from rackdoctor. It's a little cheaper than the Z3 rack, fits the same, and has nice heavy/direct feel while being slightly slower than the Z3 rack (but quicker than stock, and linear like the Z3 rack).
    Thank you so much! Is this a Z3 rack that could fit into my car? It looks like it to me?

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Yes, assuming that's what they say it is, it's what you want. A non-3.2L Z3 rack.

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Quote Originally Posted by bonoz View Post
    Thank you so much! Is this a Z3 rack that could fit into my car? It looks like it to me?
    I'm sure you read the part about having to return your old rack to activate your warranty, without a matching core you might send it back and not get the warranty. I'd call to make sure.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.