RM European Auto Parts
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Please help with succession planning

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    I'll cut to the chase for the Mrs.,
    used Lexus SUV at whatever yr/gen your budget will allow.

Now for something you or I would prefer,
    that's a much longer post, lol.

My Cars
    2001 e46 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post

Now for something you or I would prefer,
    that's a much longer post, lol.
    Lexus is a Japanese brand (Toyota) with a reputation for making very reliable cars BTW.
    "If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters." Alan K. Simpson.
    5spd E46 "3XX": 328i engine, 330i Intake and exhaust, CAI, 323i diff.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Lexus(Toyota) are out, period. Craptastic interior materials, fasteners ostensibly made of putty and ZERO, ZERO personality.
    G wagen not even on the radar. A few over decorated women from the horsey set around here drive them, all gussied up like they are going on a safari or something. I can't get that silly image out of my mind.
    Looked at an Escalade, what a P.O.S.!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Breeze1 View Post
    Lexus is a Japanese brand (Toyota) with a reputation for making very BORING cars BTW.
    FTFW

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2001 e46 323i
    You definitely don't like Japanese cars

The thing with many nice cars is that they are driven by "over decorated people" lol.

The limiting factor here is that it has to be an SUV. Since Japanese are out and so is the G, that doesn't leave much of a choice... or wait, Audi Q7? Besides the G that's the only decent looking "modern" SUV I can think of, but I doubt she'll enjoy driving it as much as the E39, which REALLY doesn't leave much to be desired in the driving feel department.

Edit: Ford F150
    Last edited by Breeze1; 07-17-2018 at 06:17 PM.
    "If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters." Alan K. Simpson.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Substitute (BMW) in place of Lexus above. ^

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I have to agree with the feelings about Japanese cars. Certainly, Toyotas and their ilk are exceptionally reliable....but personality is non existent. They're just not driver's cars.

The G-wagon is a terribly primitive $100k + vehicle. Rides like a damned '62 Jeep....which is what it looks like underneath.

The Q7....don't get me started! If you think you like it, try changing the rear brakes. After you use the computer to release the rear parking brake shoes so you can change the rotors, you will find that you have to spend a day using the computer and, at the same time MANUALLY resetting air gap, over and over, on each side, until the computer is over it's PMS....and THEN you have to RECODE the damned parking brake computer using RossTech or VAGCOM, and THEN you have to go out on the road for half an hour, repeatedly bedding in the parking brake shoes between 10 and 12 mph, over and over again !

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2001 e46 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    I have to agree with the feelings about Japanese cars. Certainly, Toyotas and their ilk are exceptionally reliable....but personality is non existent. They're just not driver's cars.

The G-wagon is a terribly primitive $100k + vehicle. Rides like a damned '62 Jeep....which is what it looks like underneath.

The Q7....don't get me started! If you think you like it, try changing the rear brakes. After you use the computer to release the rear parking brake shoes so you can change the rotors, you will find that you have to spend a day using the computer and, at the same time MANUALLY resetting air gap, over and over, on each side, until the computer is over it's PMS....and THEN you have to RECODE the damned parking brake computer using RossTech or VAGCOM, and THEN you have to go out on the road for half an hour, repeatedly bedding in the parking brake shoes between 10 and 12 mph, over and over again !
    I didn't know about the maintenance difficulty and was refering to the looks, mostly. Anyhow, IMO Bmw's come second to none when it comes to driving feel, as far as relatively affordable cars go anyway, but then again I can't stand the looks of their SUV's besides the 1st Gen X5, which is not an option if I understand well.
    Last edited by Breeze1; 07-17-2018 at 07:13 PM.

My Cars
    1997 E36 M3/4/5
    shop for (and pray for) an E39 wagon with an I-6. SUVs are TRUCKS. put some fresh shocks and touch up some things. fresh shocks, new speakers, etc to make it feel new, then run with it. You'll have a magically maintainable platform.
    Marc Plante
    E36 M3/4/5 193k
    Konis+ Dinan Springs, Understeer SS, Shepott European steering Wheel, ZKW Ellipsoids, ECIS Intake+ ATE Foam filter, Stromung Exhaust, Recaro SRDs. JVC Arsenal Head Unit. Alpine MRV-F300 Amp, ADS 535i components, JL Audio Stealthbox Subs

My Track Rig:
    i7700 / 2080 PC with Assetto Corsa and Content Manager, Samsung Odyssey+ VR goggles
    Fanatec CSP wheel and pedals, SSH Shifter, recaro seat. Home built cockpit
    Mt Pleasant, SC, USA

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Quote Originally Posted by marcva View Post
    ..... SUVs are TRUCKS.
    I think not. A pick up truck's intended purpose is haul goods, tools, materials, etc. Trucks are built on a perimeter style chassis and make up 16% of auto sales in the US.

SUVs are more similar to estate cars, most have all-wheel drive and will seat 5-7 passengers and are uni-body. SUVs make up 36% of the world's passenger car market.

Anyway, Mrs. Ross wants a SUV.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I disagree, my friend. Even Alldata lists SUVs as "trucks" . If the thing's five feet tall, it's a truck. It blocks forward vision, and it hauls...mainly AIR. Even pickup trucks are rarely used to carry lumber...they mainly carry one single person, and he's usually on a cellphone, and blocking the left lane. . Pickup trucks and SUVs should be banished to the right lane, with semis, buses, farm tractors, and other road hazards.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Alfa Stelvio?
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    Dodge Durango R/T. The hemi will put a smile on your face every time you fire it up and makes up for the fact that it's a Dodge.

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Even Alldata lists SUVs as "trucks" .
    Ask the DMV, the manufacturers and the automotive press. The clincher is, SUVs don't have a place for a gun rack like a proper truck.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Ah can tell yer from one a them blue states, bubba. We're a gonna use ar imagination, 'round here:gunrack1.jpggunrack2.jpggunrack3.jpggunrack 4.jpg

Sad, huh?

By the way, my neighbor has an X5 with a "TRUCK" license plate.

Yeah, okay, everything I've said is (mostly) in jest. X5's don't generally block the left lane; they usually act like BMW drivers, and allow free passage. And I don't carry a gun, because I don't ever intend to kill anyone. And hell, I drive a 4000 pound weapon anyway. And, well, I'm really damned impressed with sport package X5's anyway, as "driver's cars".

Now, a Lexus or Honda SUV? Apparently they come with cellphones which attach to the driver's hand, and no rear view mirrors.

Ross, you know I put that X5 on a lift for you today, and took a bunch of pictures....just waiting to send them to you in case you might want it. (Not my vehicle, just trying to help.)

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    If you want to skip turbos and V8s and have a BMW SUV closer to 5 years old than 10 or 15, how about a 2012 X3 with N52 motor?

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy4trains View Post
    Dodge Durango R/T. The hemi will put a smile on your face every time you fire it up and makes up for the fact that it's a Dodge.
    A friend has a Hemi Magnum. Goes fast straight, can't turn or stop worth a shit. Good for destroying perfectly good rear tires and little else. I can imagine its manners would make a Durango's look like a booger. Which it already does.
    She doesn't car about speed anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    If you want to skip turbos and V8s and have a BMW SUV closer to 5 years old than 10 or 15, how about a 2012 X3 with N52 motor?
    The N52 would be acceptable, probably something larger though.

EDIT OH, regarding SUVs as trucks. In the beginning, Blazers, Broncos and such WERE trucks. The manufacturers managed to retain this classification as the crash and emissions rules are(were?) relaxed for "trucks". This made them cheaper to make so.......
    The S of SUV has always amused me.
    Last edited by ross1; 07-19-2018 at 11:47 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    I disagree, my friend. Even Alldata lists SUVs as "trucks" . If the thing's five feet tall, it's a truck. It blocks forward vision, and it hauls...mainly AIR. Even pickup trucks are rarely used to carry lumber...they mainly carry one single person, and he's usually on a cellphone, and blocking the left lane. . Pickup trucks and SUVs should be banished to the right lane, with semis, buses, farm tractors, and PRIUSes.
    Agreed, with the sentiment, not the definition and fixed
    Last edited by ross1; 07-19-2018 at 11:51 AM.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Substitute (BMW) in place of Lexus above. ^
    Obviously?

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    Alfa Stelvio?
    Thought about this. I imagine depreciation to be swift and brutal on these. Buying some time with the E39.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Ah can tell yer from one a them blue states, bubba. We're a gonna use ar imagination, 'round here:gunrack1.jpggunrack2.jpggunrack3.jpggunrack 4.jpg

Sad, huh?

By the way, my neighbor has an X5 with a "TRUCK" license plate.

Yeah, okay, everything I've said is (mostly) in jest. X5's don't generally block the left lane; they usually act like BMW drivers, and allow free passage. And I don't carry a gun, because I don't ever intend to kill anyone. And hell, I drive a 4000 pound weapon anyway. And, well, I'm really damned impressed with sport package X5's anyway, as "driver's cars".

Now, a Lexus or Honda SUV? Apparently they come with cellphones which attach to the driver's hand, and no rear view mirrors.

Ross, you know I put that X5 on a lift for you today, and took a bunch of pictures....just waiting to send them to you in case you might want it. (Not my vehicle, just trying to help.)

My wagon can be equipped with this wonderful piece of BMW original equipment. A "WEAPONS BOX" pn 51417321607:

diag_af35.jpg
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Oh. Dear. God.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2001 e46 323i
    Jaguar e-pace

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Jaguar e-pace
    Profanity isn't allowed on this forum.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2001 e46 323i
    Profanity isn't allowed on this forum.
    Why because it's a Jag?
    I have never owned one, but I wouldn't say no to a V6 or V8 equipped F-type coupe, I'm telling you

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Jaguar e-pace
    I've been cured of Jags already. Yes, they are pretty, especially inside which is my weakness.
    Jags are like supermodels with venereal disease, so tempting.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast