Thread: Finally installed downpipes today

My Cars
    2009 335i

Finally installed downpipes today

Not a technically difficult install but lots of tight spaces and laying on a creeper for several hours is never fun. Here is a little review of the parts.
    The downpipes were MMP catless from Extreme Power House. The MMP are their cheapest downpipes. The week after I bought them they put the VRSF downpipes on sale and had I known that I would have waited and gotten the VRSF.
    A little knock on the packaging. The pipes were in a box with no packing materials, no rolled up newspapers, no packing peanuts, nothing. The were just in the box, which was damaged, clanging against each other. They weren't damaged that I could see so no harm no foul.
    The quality is good, I like how they sound. I didn't have any clearance issues, I did have a little bit of an issue where the cat-back bolts up to the flanges. They didn't line up great even leaving the v-band clamps loose before connecting the flanges. I had to use a clamp to pull them together to be able to get the bolts lined up to go through the holes. I bought grade 8 hardware to use so I knew I could torque them down without worrying about breaking the bolts. I do have a very small exhaust leak on one side. I can't hear it but I can feel the air squirting out on my hand. I tried flipping the gasket and it made no difference. We'll see what happens down the line, I am worried that the heat may melt through the gasket in that spot.
    My only gripes were with the alignment, which may be be common with other DP's, and with the quality of the hardware and gaskets. I didn't even attempt to use the hardware and I imagine if I did with the misalignment issue the bolts would have broken with the amount of torque needed to pull the flanges together.

Overall I am happy with them, time will tell if I will need to get another gasket to address the leak.
    Last edited by jeff91121; 07-13-2018 at 09:11 PM.