Thread: Yet another supercharger thread

My Cars
    1997 BMW 840ci

Yet another supercharger thread

Working with my mechanic to fit a supercharger onto my 97 840. Issues so far are mostly how to handle AC compressor. Would love to find some place for an intercooler too as I live in Ojai and many hot days to/from Los Angeles. Any tips on AC compressor relocate or intercooler from others who have gone down this road???

My project so far:

-2-owner, all records, very good condition 97 840, black/black purchased a few months back

-Alpina 17's staggered w/Contis (getting refinished)

-Super sprint rear exhaust w/ Ebay sourced German headers and straight pipes (test, of course)

-3.64 LSD

-Factory CSI front and rear bumpers

-Factory CSI mirrors

-Factory CSI sway bars

-Euro yellow front fog lights and smoked reflectors and rear lights smoked to match

-Bilsteins w/Eibachs

-Phoenix motorsports rear shock mounts

More to come.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    Quote Originally Posted by tbonelarry View Post
    Working with my mechanic to fit a supercharger onto my 97 840. Issues so far are mostly how to handle AC compressor. Would love to find some place for an intercooler too as I live in Ojai and many hot days to/from Los Angeles. Any tips on AC compressor relocate or intercooler from others who have gone down this road???

My project so far:

-2-owner, all records, very good condition 97 840, black/black purchased a few months back

-Alpina 17's staggered w/Contis (getting refinished)

-Super sprint rear exhaust w/ Ebay sourced German headers and straight pipes (test, of course)

-3.64 LSD

-Factory CSI front and rear bumpers

-Factory CSI mirrors

-Factory CSI sway bars

-Euro yellow front fog lights and smoked reflectors and rear lights smoked to match

-Bilsteins w/Eibachs

-Phoenix motorsports rear shock mounts

More to come.
    I will be transplanting Dinan supercharger to 1997 840ci from a Dinan 740il withing next couple months. It will be a non inter cooled system.
    What is the problem with the AC compressor you are having and what supercharger are you fitting?

My Cars
    1997 BMW 840ci
    Awesome. Problem is just space. Especially because of the low hood line. I ordered an Alpina-style hood through Rob, but hasn't arrived yet. Maybe that will help? And with heat soak.

Using a Vortech. Played a little bit with another supercharger off of a Jag XKR, but Vortech seems easier to mount. And taking some of the ideas from the 540 kits which are well-documented. Haven't checked out the 740 Dinan kit. Will do. AND THANKS.

My Cars
    KS
    You'd need a tube to crossover water to the radiator instead of the belt drive.
    Still stock MAFs and Motronic (dyno tuned).
    That's some ancient motoring from 1992.

The filter needs to changed, yeah. Just dialing some other stuff, before new filter going in.
    Last edited by Diskovod; 07-17-2018 at 08:50 AM.

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Diskovod View Post
    You'd need a tube to crossover water to the radiator instead of the belt drive.
    Still stock MAFs and Motronic (dyno tuned).
    That's some ancient motoring from 1992.

The filter needs to changed, yeah. Just dialing some other stuff, before new filter going in.
    I suggest routing the filter under the headlight where it actually can get some cold air.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    KS
    Yep, I'd want that too, but it was installed in 1992 that way.
    The intercooler routing and designs are also extremely long and thick, so it heat soaks by a lot.

When it was -5C outside and dry road, the car, after 1-2 minutes of driving through the air did cool a lot more and the power was really something.

But in real summer conditions it's far from the desire.

The IC on the pic is double layered. So it's got one 1.5-2 inch thick core and then another core of the same thickness behind it. No idea if it helps to equalize the charges.
    Last edited by Diskovod; 07-18-2018 at 07:50 AM.

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    I see, well you can easily extend the intake and route under the headlight right in front of the air passage, that should help alot!
    Do you know how many psi are you running??
    Quote Originally Posted by Diskovod View Post
    Yep, I'd want that too, but it was installed in 1992 that way.
    The intercooler routing and designs are also extremely long and thick, so it heat soaks by a lot.

When it was -5C outside and dry road, the car, after 1-2 minutes of driving through the air did cool a lot more and the power was really something.

But in real summer conditions it's far from the desire.

The IC on the pic is double layered. So it's got one 1.5-2 inch thick core and then another core of the same thickness behind it. No idea if it helps to equalize the charges.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 840ci
    Great tips. Think we're going to route the filter under the headlight as discussed and put intercooler in front of radiator as so much space up there. Have to fab all custom brackets but working so far in mockup. Probably wouldn't even have to do an intercooler except temps in my part of California over 100 regularly. VF has been helpful in supplying some parts even though they don't make an 8 kit. Question outstanding is how much HP the 5HTP tranny will hold?

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    Not a whole lot... maybe 450..
    Great tips. Think we're going to route the filter under the headlight as discussed and put intercooler in front of radiator as so much space up there. Have to fab all custom brackets but working so far in mockup. Probably wouldn't even have to do an intercooler except temps in my part of California over 100 regularly. VF has been helpful in supplying some parts even though they don't make an 8 kit. Question outstanding is how much HP the 5HTP tranny will hold?

My Cars
    1997 BMW 840ci
    Anyone have photos of a Vortech supercharger in an 840 engine bay without getting rid of AC? Still cant figure out how to make it all fit?

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    Anyone have photos of a Vortech supercharger in an 840 engine bay without getting rid of AC? Still cant figure out how to make it all fit?
    What you need to do is make a custom ac line that goes on the side of the ac.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 840ci
    Thanks @dragon850, but already done that. Issue is blower/compressor/block. Currently working with a 540 based system. Can’t get the bracket for the supercharger and the bracket for the AC to fit. Can only find space to mount one or the other. Anybody have photos? Next step is to modify the front clip or look for a new compressor...