Thread: Question about tire size conversion on my 2011 BMW X3

My Cars
    2011 BMW X3 28i xDrive

Question about tire size conversion on my 2011 BMW X3

Hello everyone!
    I am relocating for a new job to Texas and I have to drive approximately 14 hours in my 2011 BMW X3 XDrive 28i.
    Even though my tires are pretty old, I think there is a good possibility that they'll make it all the way down to Texas plus some. However, I don't want to risk being stranded on the highway. Also, thanks to BMW my car didn't come with a spare tire either. I thought about buying a spare tire, but then again all 4 tires are pretty old and I think its just safer to buy 4 set of brand new tires.

My current tire size are 245/55R17 and unfortunately, this size is pretty rare to find and also very expensive and I'm on a tight budget. I'm also planning on selling my car in a few months anyway, therefore, I don't wanna put a lot of money into it.
    According to some websites, I can put 245/45R17's on my car, but I read on some forums that this can mess with the speed sensors and the computer components like DSC module and traction control. I also spoke to my local BMW dealership and they confirmed this potential outcome.

I used an online tire size converter and it looks like I can put 225/60R17's on my car, which is a perfect fit except for the width that goes from 9.6 inches down to 8.9 inches. Everything else remains the same (see photo).
    Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 3.16.09 PM.png

In theory, this conversion shouldn't mess with any of the computer components. Also, their price is more than 40-50% cheaper online and at my local tire shops.

Has anyone ever done this kind of conversion before? Does the change in width cause any issues with the fitment of the tires on the rims?
    Any better solutions? Like I said my budget is very tight and unfortunately I can't change that.

Thank you guys so much.

My Cars
    2011 BMW X3 28i xDrive
    Any one?