Thread: BMW special tools listed in the Benttley

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster

BMW special tools listed in the Bentley

I am looking to replace my transmission input shaft seal for the SECOND time. The Bentley manual has a part number for a seal installation drift #0232340, I have called a couple dealers and they have no idea. I think BMW changed their part numbers so how do I find this BMW special tool?

I know I'm sure its expensive, just use PVC pipe or a piece of wood, been there done that. The input seal is finicky about depth and I dont want to pull my transmission a third time. Any help with the part or tricks to replace the input seal would be great.
    Last edited by bubbafett; 07-14-2018 at 04:50 PM.
    Built S52 w/Dinan ISR-3 kit, NickG Stage 2+ Tune, Dinan Vortech V2 Supercharger, Dinan Air to Air Intercooler, Dinan CAI, Porsche 803 HFM, Buldogge 6" crank pulley, Griptec 2.90" blower pulley, Eurosport UD pulleys, Dinan 3.38 Diff, Dinan front/rear Swaybars, Dinan springs, Koni Yellow Sport Struts, Ground Control end links, South Bend Clutch Stage 3 Organic, AASCO Light Weight Flywheel 18.5#, Zionsville Radiator & Oil Cooler, Riot Racing BBTB, Schrick Intake Manifold, 42# Injectors, Schrick cams 264/256, Forged Wiseco pistons 9.0 comp., Forged Eagle rods, Supertech dual valve springs & valves, VAC crank & bearings, Supersprint mufflers, Euro Z3 midpipe, Raceland euro headers, Walbro 255, Bevauto ignition coils, Vortech Mondo bypass, Bailey Diverter DV30, Ireland Rear Subframe Bushings, Mason Engineering Strut Brace, Mason Engineering Clutch Petal, Apex 18" EC-7 Wheels, Full Custom Sound System, two trunk lids (with & without OE spoiler), Hardtop, Trunk full of AK's...

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbafett View Post
    I am looking to replace my transmission input shaft seal for the SECOND time. The Bentley manual has a part number for a seal installation drift #0232340, I have called a couple dealers and they have no idea. I think BMW changed their part numbers so how do I find this BMW special tool?

I know I'm sure its expensive, just use PVC pipe or a piece of wood, been there done that. The input seal is finicky about depth and I dont want to pull my transmission a third time. Any help with the part or tricks to replace the input seal would be great.
    Sometime shortly after our cars were built, BMW did do a renumbering of their dealer-intended tools. If you're in tight with the parts counter clerk, or you catch one at just the right phase of the moon and stars, you can get them to do a cross reference for the current part number__THE INFORMATION IS AVAILABLE, and if they claim otherwise, they're either too lazy or too stupid to look!

Once you have the new part number, ask them to check price and availability__expect a shocking price. At that point, you can search BMW tools online, but the polite thing to do is to order it from the person that put in the time and effort to look it up for you.

Don't be too surprised to find that it's NLA__that's why I bought most of my BMW task-specific tools >15 years ago, once a chassis or engine type is out of production, they expect that all their dealers have the tools (in most cases, the dealers don't have a choice, they're automatically sent to them and billed accordingly). It is possible to get on a wait-list, and if enough interest is generated, they'll do another run of them (I've had this offered to me, but usually looking for sooner rather than later results, and end up fabricating my own tools).

Last option is to verify that your favorite dealer still has that tool in their collection, and hand-carry your trans in to get the seal knocked in. Only when I was very nearby a dealership that we bought several cars and tens of thousands of dollars worth of parts__and knew which mechanic to ask__was I trusted to borrow and use one of their tools offsite (there were times however, that I LENT MY BMW TOOLS back to the dealer once theirs was used up).

Good luck!

Before you ask, and I still kick myself, I don't have any of the trans-specific tools. I once was going to buy them, all $2400.00 worth, but at that time a factory reconditioned trans was $1600.00, so not very cost-effective

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster
    Randy thank you for the solid advice. I did get one service manager to call me back, he was helpful. None in the US like 15 in Germany. I have one on the way, well worth the $105.00 to me to do it right this time. lol https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/83300491582/
    Built S52 w/Dinan ISR-3 kit, NickG Stage 2+ Tune, Dinan Vortech V2 Supercharger, Dinan Air to Air Intercooler, Dinan CAI, Porsche 803 HFM, Buldogge 6" crank pulley, Griptec 2.90" blower pulley, Eurosport UD pulleys, Dinan 3.38 Diff, Dinan front/rear Swaybars, Dinan springs, Koni Yellow Sport Struts, Ground Control end links, South Bend Clutch Stage 3 Organic, AASCO Light Weight Flywheel 18.5#, Zionsville Radiator & Oil Cooler, Riot Racing BBTB, Schrick Intake Manifold, 42# Injectors, Schrick cams 264/256, Forged Wiseco pistons 9.0 comp., Forged Eagle rods, Supertech dual valve springs & valves, VAC crank & bearings, Supersprint mufflers, Euro Z3 midpipe, Raceland euro headers, Walbro 255, Bevauto ignition coils, Vortech Mondo bypass, Bailey Diverter DV30, Ireland Rear Subframe Bushings, Mason Engineering Strut Brace, Mason Engineering Clutch Petal, Apex 18" EC-7 Wheels, Full Custom Sound System, two trunk lids (with & without OE spoiler), Hardtop, Trunk full of AK's...

My Cars
    02 LSB Z3M Coupe
    I bought a complete set of the seal drivers, and the shift shaft seal puller. They were <$200 shipped, and the parts guys at getbmwparts.com did all the cross referencing and research and hooked me up with the part numbers. I would HIGHLY recommend them.
    Well worth buying, IMO. Wish I had bought them the first time so I wouldnt have had to remove the transmission again to replace the input shaft seal...

23 0 210 Shift shaft seal extractor - 83302219637

IMG_20180614_183821.jpg

23 0 220 Shift shaft seal installer – 83300493423

IMG_20180614_184445.jpg

23 2 300 Output shaft seal driver – 83300491578

IMG_20180614_194643.jpg

23 2 340 Input shaft seal driver – 83300491582

IMG_20180614_203050.jpg

I did not buy
    00 5 010 Seal puller - 83300490466
    but it would have been very useful for pulling the output shaft seal as well as the diff seals.

The input shaft seal is definitely the easiest to remove, follow the service manual process: drill a small hole into the solid part of the seal, thread in a self-tapping screw, then use a slide hammer to pop it out.

IMG_20180614_202033.jpg

CAVEAT: be careful not to drill or thread the screw too deep into the input shaft seal as you can hit the seal on the bearing behind it and dent it. probably no ill effects if it happens, but better safe than sorry.
    Last edited by scenturion; 07-13-2018 at 05:21 PM.

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster
    Scenturion wow look at those tools! *drool* Thanks for the very informative post, I might pick a couple others up now that you provided the parts #'s.