Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reasonable Priced Break Rotor Recommendations?

My Cars
    BMW 540i

Reasonable Priced Break Rotor Recommendations?

My brake rotors always warp, any recommendation on brands that stand up to more heat? Not looking for track specs.

Thanks,
    Frank
    1997 540 / 6 Sport, 2001 540 staggered rims
    Suspension = Bilstein B8 Performance Plus Struts, Xeon headlights & fog lights, LED tail lights, Evo short shifter, Custom air engine intake, 3 inch dual exhaust hollow cats,NGK iridium spark plugs, removed -clutch delay valve

My Cars
    E28, E32, E39, E53, E90
    I think the Zimmerman rotors may be best, made in Germany. FCP euro will have a lifetime warranty so you can keep exchanging after a few years if they're prone to warping.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 540iA
    I replaced my brake rotors and pads on all 4 corners, I got them from eBay for around $200, rotors were drilled and slotted, pads were ceramic pads, also came with pad wearing sensors, it was 4 years ago and they are still on the car, very little brake dusts, brake force is very good.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by rbelton View Post
    I think the Zimmerman rotors may be best, made in Germany. FCP euro will have a lifetime warranty so you can keep exchanging after a few years if they're prone to warping.
    +1, I did this as well. Zimmerman rotors and Akebono pads along with stainless steel brake lines. No dust, no noise, and pretty smooth stopping. I bought everything from FCP Euro as well so when it all wears out I can just get it replaced.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    e24e30e36e39e90
    Frequent perceived brake rotor warping is probably a symptom of some larger problem, truly warped brake rotors aren't all that common.

https://blog.fcpeuro.com/warped-brak...-internet-myth

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    Quote Originally Posted by sienayr View Post
    Frequent perceived brake rotor warping is probably a symptom of some larger problem, truly warped brake rotors aren't all that common.

https://blog.fcpeuro.com/warped-brak...-internet-myth

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths
    +1 on the above. If you do need rotors, I have had no issues using Zimmerman, with Akebono Euro Ceramic and Stop Tech ss brake lines
    2001 540 M-Sport (cdn), ST X (KW) coilovers, H&R 15mm spacers, Eibach anti roll bars (28mm/18mm), Beastpower rear antiroll bar brackets, M5 rear chassis reinforcements (traction rods), Strong Strut front upper strut bar, Dinan Stage 1 software, factory M-Audio subs, Bavsound speaker upgrade, Bluebus bluetooth integration, Stop Tech SS brake lines, ATE coated brake rotors, ATE ceramic brake pads.

My Cars
    2012 JSW 2.5
    +2 Unless you are tracking it, I doubt you could generate enough heat to warp a rotor. Definitely not an "always" thing for a road car.

Given your problem description, I recommend a full brake inspection, if you haven't done in the last 2-years. Your calipers could be sticking, brake lines cracking, and your fluid could be full of water. I know these are not all related to "warping" but they all relate to your safety

My pick for years has been blank Brembo rotors and Akebono pads. Note that Akebonos are ceramic so they won't bite like metallic pads but they release very little dust so your wheels stay clean longer.

As far as price goes, anything you buy from FCPEuro.com is "reasonable priced" because everything comes with a lifetime warranty
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    02 bmw 540
    I’ll be taking a break from this brake thread...

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannyf540 View Post
    I’ll be taking a break from this brake thread...
    Manny, so just a normal break or will it be an emergency brake?

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by sienayr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by f355spider View Post
    +1 on the above. If you do need rotors, I have had no issues using Zimmerman, with Akebono Euro Ceramic and Stop Tech ss brake lines
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxPlanet View Post
    +2 Unless you are tracking it, I doubt you could generate enough heat to warp a rotor. Definitely not an "always" thing for a road car.

Given your problem description, I recommend a full brake inspection, if you haven't done in the last 2-years. Your calipers could be sticking, brake lines cracking, and your fluid could be full of water. I know these are not all related to "warping" but they all relate to your safety

My pick for years has been blank Brembo rotors and Akebono pads. Note that Akebonos are ceramic so they won't bite like metallic pads but they release very little dust so your wheels stay clean longer.

As far as price goes, anything you buy from FCPEuro.com is "reasonable priced" because everything comes with a lifetime warranty
    Plus plus plus to the plus pluses.

Your rotors are NOT warping. If you have a shop that says so, they are shade-tree hacks who don't know what they are doing.

If you DO actually need them... I'll also 2nd Jaxonville's Brembo OE-replacment recc. Definitely my go-to these days for when I need an OE style rotor. Although I've done fine with Zimmermans and would use them too of the Brobros weren't availabro... (Brembos have nicer finish on the hats tho' and seem to have better anti-rust-coating overall)

Par example...
    https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...39-34111165859

Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Yeah Manny - break it down for us.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    I have OE Balo rotors on the front, and the cryogenic-treated drilled stoptech rotors in the back.
    I like both a lot.
    Unfortunately, I can not seem to find the Balo rotors any more.
    Rotors to look at:
    1. Brembo
    2. Zimmerman
    3. ATE
    Also note, it is important IMO to have German or US steel in the rotors, and not the cheap flimsy Chinese steel in the rotors.

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Control arms and thrust arms.... replace ‘em and take a break, have a beer, wait for the next part to fail...
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    Are we breaking things again?

My Cars
    2012 JSW 2.5
    Okay, okay, break it up. Nothing to see here.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    I brake for nobody...
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    02 bmw 540
    I’ve had breakfast today!

I bought this brake kit from Amazon.
    2001-2003 BMW 530i Full Kit eLine Drilled Slotted Brake Rotors & Ceramic Pads https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016E29XFA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_.73sBbJTZP9GX

No complaints.

Plus to all the above from previous posters, FCP Euro for quality and lifetime warranty.

Like Snotty stated, take a look at your control arms and thrust arms. They are known to cause shaking while applying your brakes.
    Last edited by Mannyf540; 07-15-2018 at 01:17 PM.

My Cars
    BMW 540i
    All thank you for all the great comments, FYI... i do all my own auto work since age 16, except for tires and wheel alignment. I try the bedding in process in no improvement i change out based on above recommendations.

Frank T
    Suspension = Bilstein B8 Performance Plus Struts, Xeon headlights & fog lights, LED tail lights, Evo short shifter, Custom air engine intake, 3 inch dual exhaust hollow cats,NGK iridium spark plugs, removed -clutch delay valve

My Cars
    '98 540i '01 540i 13 E70
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Heheeee

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    02 bmw 540
    Quote Originally Posted by Franktea View Post
    All thank you for all the great comments, FYI... i do all my own auto work since age 16, except for tires and wheel alignment. I try the bedding in process in no improvement i change out based on above recommendations.

Frank T

Hey that’s too cool. I’ve been working on cars since around that age. My uncle would have me change the brakes on his cars at his car lot.

One time I had a wheel fly off, due to me not tightening the nuts properly.

Welcome to the forum Frank. I’d still suspect the control arms are what is causing your shaking.

Keep us posted.
    Regards,
    Manny
    Last edited by Mannyf540; 07-18-2018 at 12:08 PM.

My Cars
    '98 540i '01 540i 13 E70
    Quote Originally Posted by Franktea View Post

Frank T
    Hey Frank me too although it was always flywheels, clutches, carburetors, Edelbrock high rise intakes, headers, 4 speed transmissions and Cragar deep dish chrome wheels to name a few. Hell we even had distributor caps we had the check if the cap was cracked and sometimes we had to replace the points...
    Never owned an import back then so this is all been a learning process for me but I love it on here man there's so many guys who know what time it is all the time. Welcome to the forum. You will be knowledge blessed on this site and save a lot of money in the process. Enjoy Frank enjoy!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    540 m sport
    I would get them from FCP Euro. They replace them when they get worn down. I live next to the main warehouse so I exchange my brake pads every time they are worn out.

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
    I have OE Balo rotors on the front, and the cryogenic-treated drilled stoptech rotors in the back.
    I like both a lot.
    Unfortunately, I can not seem to find the Balo rotors any more.
    Rotors to look at:
    1. Brembo
    2. Zimmerman
    3. ATE
    Also note, it is important IMO to have German or US steel in the rotors, and not the cheap flimsy Chinese steel in the rotors.

Well that might take Brembo oem rotors off the list. When I bought a set of Brembo rotors several years ago, the fronts were made in Italy, the rears were made in Mexico Not sure where they source the steel...a lot comes from asia these days (Korea and China), that is difficult to avoid, the bigger issue is the QC and if the buyer is actually checking to ensure the quality of what they are getting.
    2001 540 M-Sport (cdn), ST X (KW) coilovers, H&R 15mm spacers, Eibach anti roll bars (28mm/18mm), Beastpower rear antiroll bar brackets, M5 rear chassis reinforcements (traction rods), Strong Strut front upper strut bar, Dinan Stage 1 software, factory M-Audio subs, Bavsound speaker upgrade, Bluebus bluetooth integration, Stop Tech SS brake lines, ATE coated brake rotors, ATE ceramic brake pads.

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    I've had good results with Meyle Platinum rotors. Cheap, and I like the Geomet coating that keeps them looking spiffy.
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)
    Titanium Silver/Black Nappa Full 07-18-2001 E39 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 198,000mi+. Increasing daily. Engine rebuild thread.
    (eŌō\ (||||)º(||||) / ōŌe)
    Alpineweiss III/Black Merino Full 03-26-2007 E60 M5 Manual (CX08265). 157,000+. Dead starter -_-

RIP, Seabiscuit. Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
    Take 2 "Otto" - Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
    Take 3 "Manuel" - Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi. I regret that. Build Log
    Reliable P.O.S. - Green/gray 1995 Camry V6 LE. 270k mi. Sold for space.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    BMW 540i
    Thanks i remember the day i was like 12 years old doing Points and plugs on my dad's 1971 Dodge Satellite with a 318 engine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast